Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What's for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I am craving all sorts of things and having a hard time narrowing it down to just one or two items! Maybe you can help.

What are you having/did you have for dinner?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: What's for dinner?

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 pm

I've been sick as a dog for the past few days; even white rice didn't sit well with me yesterday. So I think it's tofu in a mild broth tonight.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:59 pm

That sucks, Stuart. There is some kind of gastroenteritis bug going around here. A couple friends have had it. Not pleasant and it just seems to hang on.

I had tofu last night. And for lunch today. I think I'll get home too late to make pizza or mac & cheese, my two main cravings.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 pm

Very simple tonight. I took some dried black trumpet mushrooms and rehydrated them in warm water. Then I boiled some farfalle and added the mushrooms and some sun dried tomatoes and grated a chunk of parmigiano reggiano on top. Maybe too simple and unsophisticated to bother mentioning here but it was a very satisfying dinner. :)

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm headed to my favorite restaurant tonight. My nephew is visiting.

I'm having braised short ribs. And some wine. Oh and a martini before dinner.

Yes, that's the plan.
Patti
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Italian sausage, tomato sauce, lots of peppers, bread, garden salad, Petite Syrah. The weather has cooled considerably and the humidity has also dropped. It's O.K. to eat a more substantial meal.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I've been sick as a dog for the past few days; even white rice didn't sit well with me yesterday. So I think it's tofu in a mild broth tonight.

Stuart, why even bother?

I have been down and out for much of the past two weeks. First a kidney stone on 6/4, passed on 6/5. Then a gout attack hit on 6/8 and today is the first time I have been able to walk without a huge limp. Crip is my nick anymore. But even older than dirt, it is amazing how the body can heal! Any chance of seeing you at Mo'Cool the weekend of 8/16?
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Cornish game hens on the grill, saffron rice, and haricot vert.
Green salad, and fresh berries for dessert.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What are you having/did you have for dinner?

Quick and simple here, too ... a family summer favorite, linguine with white clam sauce (made with Cento minced clams inna can, shhhh! :oops: )
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Can't decide between some sort of fresh tomato and basil pasta with seafood or a cheeseburger.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm having a baked potato and a green salad full of my garden tomatoes, sweet basil and lettuce.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Went to a United Way volunteer reception earlier this afternoon, and what with all the grazing, I shouldn't eat anything else. :oops:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I had tofu last night.

Hope you be feelin' better. I had that once and ain't been the same since.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Nasi Goreng and Eggplant Salad.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Did a little something out of a Japanese Cookbook I have - with my wife and kids back in the US for the summer I'm living a wild bachelor life in Tokyo!!

This called for boiling 8 oz of boneless chicken thighs - let cool and shred. Then boil (I used same water) about 4 ounces of chopped watercress for 3 minutes. Put them together and toss withh a dressing that was equal parts soy sauce, mirin and freshly grated wasabi

Quite good - had it with a Lafarge '97 Volnay
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I'll just hang my head and tell the truth - it's delivered pizza here tonight. And not from anyplace special. We're in the midst of major upheavals with the beginning of summer, an impending first-ever trip to camp for my younger daughter, a ton of work and first-ever-camp stress on my wife, ridiculously busy work schedules, blah blah blah.

None of which are excuses for mediocre pizza, but there you have it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 pm

Mike, see my signature courtesy of the wonderfully philosophical Gary Barlettano! You just had the Idea of Pizza. Nothing shameful there!

I ultimately ended up having leftover Singapore noodles because it was just too darn hot to cook or turn on the oven for what I really wanted.... pizza. *sigh* But I also had my first ESJ rosé of the summer with it. Yum!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:51 pm

We went into the office today, so didn't get home in time to shop/cook, so we stopped at Bojangles. Fried chicken, mac n cheese, cole slaw and biscuits. We got here Friday and here it is Tuesday and I'm just now feeling like we have arrived in the "south."
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:None of which are excuses for mediocre pizza, but there you have it.

Mike, if it's any consolation, we did the same thing last night! Not meaning to be cliche' but the crust was literally like cardboard--but not quite as tasty. :roll:
I long for a leisurely evening of actually cooking something delicious. Someday soon....
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I've been sick as a dog for the past few days; even white rice didn't sit well with me yesterday. So I think it's tofu in a mild broth tonight.

I've often thought about what I would do if reduced to tofu and broth. I decided suicide would be a viable option.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Mike, see my signature courtesy of the wonderfully philosophical Gary Barlettano! You just had the Idea of Pizza. Nothing shameful there!

I ultimately ended up having leftover Singapore noodles because it was just too darn hot to cook or turn on the oven for what I really wanted.... pizza. *sigh* But I also had my first ESJ rosé of the summer with it. Yum!

Yeah, a bottle of ESJ would have made a big difference. (It actually wasn't horrible - it's rare to have truly bad pizza!)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:18 am

We started with fresh artichoke from the garden. Funny, we propagate our artichokes from cuttings from a single plant. Up until now, these were all green globe artichokes. Well... One of the plants is producing purple elongated artichokes, so go figure. We had it with garlic lemon-butter sauce, toast points, humus and Mahon cheese.

Main dish was Penne in salmon cream sauce, with red onion and fresh peas, a side of leftover spigarello cooked in foie fat, and arugula lightly dressed in olio novello and lemon juice.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:00 pm

We had garlic/parsley fettucine with chunks of chicken breast in a garlic pesto cream sauce with mushrooms and wilted spinach. Glazed baby carrots on the side. I discovered a dried pasta I'm crazy about, called Pasta Valente. Comes in a 12 oz. package in a spinach linguine form as well as a tomato/basil fettucine and the aforementioned garlic/parsley fettucine. It's good enough to eat by itself simply drizzled with olive oil and topped with shaved parm, but adding a rich sauce takes it to a sublime level. It's not easy to find, so the last time I saw it I bought 15 packages.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Doro wat, with a dosa substituting for injeera.

-Paul W.
Next