Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: What's for dinner?

by Alan Wolfe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Spaghetti Carbonara, garden salad, white wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 pm

I was out of town yesterday, so I'll answer the question for today even though I'm a day late: it's veal chops marinated in a lightly sweet dressing of rosemary, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil which I'll serve over a rosemary-potato gallette. Cold asparagus with an avocado-tarragon vinaigrette to start.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Penn Cove Mussels steamed in white wine, garlic and italian herbs (penzeys). Clos du Bois Chardonnay and foccacia with tomatoes, mushrooms and percorino romano.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:26 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Penn Cove Mussels steamed in white wine, garlic and italian herbs (penzeys). Clos du Bois Chardonnay and foccacia with tomatoes, mushrooms and percorino romano.

You eat well! Which Washington?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:31 pm

Its wet, its green, its cloudy, we have frogs and we are Washington State. So close to Canada that I can feel it.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:Its wet, its green, its cloudy, we have frogs and we are Washington State. So close to Canada that I can feel it.

Semiahmoo?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:46 am

Jenise wrote:which I'll serve over a rosemary-potato gallette.

Jenise, I'm picturing this to be a version of Potatoes Anna. Am I close? How do you make it? Always looking for good new potato creations.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:32 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote:which I'll serve over a rosemary-potato gallette.

Jenise, I'm picturing this to be a version of Potatoes Anna. Am I close? How do you make it? Always looking for good new potato creations.
Not potatoes Anna as I know it. Rather, I took two russets and sliced them thinly on a mandoline and then layered them, daisy like, on the bottom of a teflon skillet. Butter and EVOO underneath, rosemary and S & P scattered atop the first layer and then the design repeats until I use up all the potatoes. A final drizzle of olive oil goes on top. As soon as the bottom browns I flip it and finish cooking on the other side, about ten minutes total. I end up with this 8-9" potato daisy that I cut into quarters, two of which are placed like overlapping fans on the center of the plate as a base for whatever meat goes on top. Grated potatoes would be less constructed but would work as well. Think: solid layer of hash browns! Cast iron produces a better crust than teflon, of course, but you'll usually end up using more oil.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Its wet, its green, its cloudy, we have frogs and we are Washington State. So close to Canada that I can feel it.

Semiahmoo?

Mt Vernon
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Semiahmoo?

Mt Vernon

Then that's Bellingham you smell. :) Birch Bay, here. Welcome, neighbor!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm

I've been to Mt. Vernon once, on a business trip back in Y2K. Seems to be in a good location, close to mountains and the coast.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 pm

It's summer and hot but I got a great buy on Country Style Pork ribs that were very meaty and lean, so I put them in the crock pot, with onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper, and a home made BBQ sauce. The house smells great! Serving them with Jasmine Rice infused with my home made cilantro pesto and fresh corn on the cob.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Not a clue here. Again. I couldn't face the grocery store after work, so my options are limited. Gary B was talking about Pop Tarts offline yesterday, and now that's what I want. :roll: Good thing there aren't any in the house!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Torn in several directions. I came home with a gaggle of produce (my favorite farmstand just opened for the summer), but there's a baseball game on which is keeping me out of the kitchen.... what to do, what to do...
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

David N

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm

by David N » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Cold free range spatchcocked chicken with Gratin Jurassien ( layered potatoes and braised carrots ). Accompanied with a Mastroberardino Greco di Tufo.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Ended up with a shredded napa cabbage salad, tofu two ways (Jimmy's recipe), and (from left field) grilled fresh corn finished with lime juice, chipotle powder, and salt. No rhyme or reason other than, "I found some good corn just an hour out of the field, and Jimmy wants to eat tofu."

Finished with some apricots and god's own strawberries (huge AND flavorful).
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Solo childcare tonight (Jean's working on a proposal) so it's a sandwich at 10 pm for me: fresh baguette, Genoa salame, sopressata, shaved Parmagiano, mesclun greens, vinegar and oil, washed down with some leftover Aussie Shiraz that I opened last night when Jean's tender tummy demanded a low, low acid wine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:06 pm

David N wrote:Cold free range spatchcocked chicken with Gratin Jurassien ( layered potatoes and braised carrots ). Accompanied with a Mastroberardino Greco di Tufo.

David, you've stumped me! What's a spatchcocked chicken?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:51 pm

Jenise wrote:
David N wrote:Cold free range spatchcocked chicken with Gratin Jurassien ( layered potatoes and braised carrots ). Accompanied with a Mastroberardino Greco di Tufo.

Spatchcocking is a technique in which the whole chicken is flattened by slicing out its backbone, whereupon it can be spit roasted, broiled or grilled. Here's a good tutorial on spatchcocking: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2006/05/24/FDGEQIU78N1.DTL&o=3&type=printable

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Spatchcocking is a technique in which the whole chicken is flattened by slicing out its backbone, whereupon it can be spit roasted, broiled or grilled. Here's a good tutorial on spatchcocking: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2006/05/24/FDGEQIU78N1.DTL&o=3&type=printable

Mark Lipton

Mark, thanks for that. I'm familiar with that technique--just never knew that name for it.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Dinner June 26th

Linguine with white sauce, clams, smoked oysters, mussels, white pepper and Pernod. 1998 Batar (Italian) chardonanay pinot blanc blend, good but not great.
Thanks,
Mike
Previous