Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tamales

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Tamales

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:45 pm

A restaurant here makes great tamales and sells them frozen in the local Albertsons. I am partial to the green chile and cheese. About $4.99 for 6. I had 2 for lunch today.

There is also a lovely woman named Norma who makes fantastic tamales and takes pre-orders for them at offices and businesses in my former little village, then delivers them on Fridays. Red chile and pork are my favorite of hers. I think. $12/dozen.

What kind do you prefer? Are they readily available where you are? How expensive are they? Have you ever made your own?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Tamales

by Dave R » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:15 pm

I host a number of football parties every year and for the first time last year I made some tamales for a game. They were chorizo and chipotle pepper and disappeared in the blink of an eye. I put out a number of sides so people could customize their tamales. Everyone loved them so they are now a new tradition at my parties.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I had never heard of Tamales until Food TV (thus American food programs) came here. This and Mole, often featured on Iron Chef America, now also popular on Ugly Betty.
What exactly are they?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:I had never heard of Tamales until Food TV (thus American food programs) came here. This and Mole, often featured on Iron Chef America, now also popular on Ugly Betty.
What exactly are they?

You take a corn husk and press a masa (a white corn meal) and lard mixture into it. Then you fill it with you choice of meat and spices. Then you roll it up, and steam the batch. They are served with a variety of sauces.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 pm

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/Tamale_Recipe.htm

More than you could want to know, Sue, plus photos!

The restaurant versions here don't use lard, there are several places that make vegetarian versions, but Norma uses lard.
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:41 pm

I love making tamales, I use a Rick Bayless recipe for pork tamales. -RP

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Those look excellent, Randy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Are they readily available where you are? How expensive are they? Have you ever made your own?

They're widely available here at all the ethnic taquerias and most of the larger Latino-run Mexican eateries; less so at the Americanized joints. They're virtually always made with green chiles and pork.

In our parents' time, before there were authentic Mexican eateries here, a local bar food tradition used to be a bowl of Midwest-style "chile con carne" over spaghetti with a canned tamale plopped on top. Pass the Rolaids, please?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:27 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:You take a corn husk and press a masa (a white corn meal) and lard mixture into it. Then you fill it with you choice of meat and spices. Then you roll it up, and steam the batch. They are served with a variety of sauces.

I take it you don't eat the husk. So do you buy these corn husks, or do you buy ears of corn, eat the corn then use the husks to make the tamales. Seems like they are quite yellowed, not the light green colour of the fresh husks that we get here. I'm imagining if they are so popular, there must be a market in corn husks on their own.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Oh yes. One can buy bags of the dried husks. And the masa.

Robin, that is a truly horrible-sounding concoction. :P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Robin, that is a truly horrible-sounding concoction. :P

It was actually sort of a guilty pleasure, but we've outgrown it ...
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:09 pm

This is so sad Cynthia...but I have never had a tamale! There are no good Mexican restaurants by me...I would need to go to NYC I think.

We have some excellent pizza though :D
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 pm

There are ladies who have a booth at the Farmer's Market and I have tried theirs. They sell chicken, pork and beef, with three types of sauces, green, red and a red spicy. I find that when I try tamale's I dislike how thick the cornmeal is, and how little meat is used. Is it not possible to make a thinner cornmeal with more meat? I have made tamalie pie but never tamales.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:You take a corn husk and press a masa (a white corn meal) and lard mixture into it. Then you fill it with you choice of meat and spices. Then you roll it up, and steam the batch. They are served with a variety of sauces.

I take it you don't eat the husk. So do you buy these corn husks, or do you buy ears of corn, eat the corn then use the husks to make the tamales. Seems like they are quite yellowed, not the light green colour of the fresh husks that we get here. I'm imagining if they are so popular, there must be a market in corn husks on their own.

The dry husks one starts with are a pale, bleached off white color. Under cooking, they yellow. They are sold in bags that must contain 100 or so each, and are quite cheap.

In Los Angeles where I grew up, pork in a seasoned red chile sauce is the standard filling. Many restaurants now offer chicken and green chile/cheese variations but pork is still the most common.

Yes, I've made my own tamales. The first time was rather long ago, a project with two girlfriends. We didn't leave the ends open as Randy shows in his picture (great looking tamales, Randy), but made envelopes in which both ends were folded under. That was typical of the Southern California style tamale I grew up with. And when we were done and compared our separate piles of Mexican goodness, we found that though we had all taken the same steps there was a marked difference between each of ours. Gina's were long and skinny. Annabelle's were about half the length of Gina's but quite stout. Mine were somewhere in between. It made a lively party that night when we served them to guests that night and told everybody they'd been modelled after our husbands.

I've since made other trendier combinations a la Mark Miller/Coyote Cafe. Duck is a favorite.

But best of all is to find a good Mexican restaurant or taqueria who will sell them by the dozen. It's surprisingly hard to find good ones, though--many are underseasoned or too dry, or the corn meal is clumsy and stiff instead of tender or too thick compared to the filling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 pm

I can't see the image in Randy's post, just the word "image." OK, Cynthia, what did you break?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I can't see the image in Randy's post, just the word "image." OK, Cynthia, what did you break?

Must be you, Stu - looks fine to me. Though I still can't understand this factuation with this southern dish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:I can't see the image in Randy's post, just the word "image." OK, Cynthia, what did you break?

Must be you, Stu - looks fine to me. Though I still can't understand this factuation with this southern dish.

Not to be pedantic but not southern, Sue, but Mexican/Latino, and therefore an adoptee of Southwestern cuisine which is nothing like southern cuisine (which is famous for ham, grits, greens, gumbos, fried chicken and the like, though there are sub-regional specialities within that). Not that I can blame you for finding it confusing from afar, but I'm just sayin'. We might do well to throw in the pronunciation, too: singular, it's tuh-MAH-leh, if one attempts a Latino accent and tuh-MAW-lee if one doesn't. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Not to be pedantic but not southern, Sue, but Mexican/Latino, and therefore an adoptee of Southwestern cuisine which is nothing like southern cuisine (which is famous for ham, grits, greens, gumbos, fried chicken and the like, though there are sub-regional specialities within that). Not that I can blame you for finding it confusing from afar, but I'm just sayin'. We might do well to throw in the pronunciation, too: singular, it's tuh-MAH-leh, if one attempts a Latino accent and tuh-MAW-lee if one doesn't. :)

WB Jenise. Yes, confused. :?
Bobby Flay alwasy seems to be cooking tamales and his specialty comes across as southern cuisine. Then , there's the Ugly Betty connection, i.e. Mexican / Latino. We learn all the time.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:41 pm

I've only had authentic tamales a couple of times, but I love 'em! :D
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 pm

We have a woman who comes by once every three or four weeks, always on Thursday night. We only know her as "Tamale Lady". She's either on a three-wheeled bicycle with a cooler between the back wheels or in a beat up old Monte Carlo. The tamales are $7.50 for a half dozen. You can get chicken, pork, or vegetable and they're wonderful. We buy them, eat some, and freeze the rest.

The probability that her kitchen has never been certified by public health officials has crossed my mind, but we've been eating these tamales for somewhere around eight years now with no problems.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:17 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:The probability that her kitchen has never been certified by public health officials has crossed my mind, but we've been eating these tamales for somewhere around eight years now with no problems.

Has your kitchen been certified by public health officials? Mine hasn't! I'd never let them in the door! :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 am

Amen, regarding kitchen.

LESSON: Before I moved from PA to NM in 1971, I tried Mexican food in a Swanson TV dinner. How could they eat this crap, I wondered.
MORAL: A good tamale is a good tamale: that's really the secret whether you'd like them or not.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:The probability that her kitchen has never been certified by public health officials has crossed my mind, but we've been eating these tamales for somewhere around eight years now with no problems.

Has your kitchen been certified by public health officials? Mine hasn't! I'd never let them in the door! :D

Yep - the thought was a pretty fleeting one and lasted about two bites into the first tamale.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 am

I love a good original Mexican tamale. Not all tamales!! :evil: There are a couple Mexican grocery stores near where I live that sell homemade ones on the weekend (in the back of the store out of a cooler -- no health department advice wanted). I have to get there early to get my fix. They are packaged by the half-dozen and sell for either $6 or $7 for that quantity. They are quite substantial so I don't mind the price. My favorite is the pork with verde sauce, but I am also partial to the ones with chorizo and chicken with either the red sauce or the mole. Just give me one, damnit! I tried to make them once -- only once! Too much work, and they are too readily available and too cheap to go through all the effort! But, they are surely a treat whenever I have them.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
Next