Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tamales

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Tamales

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 pm

The chef at my workplace has a tamale making party every year just before the Christmas season. Everyone in her (very large extended) family gets together and they turn out dozens and dozens of them. Everyone takes their share to freeze and use for Christmas Eve. I have been the lucky recipient of some and they rock!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:09 pm

I don't eat tamales, only tamal :wink: The fillings I like are varied: chile and cheese, chicken mole, carnitas, black beans all can be good. The most important things to me are the freshness of the tamal, the ratio of masa to filling and the seasoning of the filling.

Mark Lipton
(Tamale pie, anyone? Who can forget that staple of the casserole era?)
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:57 am

Mark, if you eat just one, you are eating a tamal. More than one and you are eating tamales. Right: you never eat one tamale...except here in the States, of course :)

Have any of you eaten hayacas? These are amped up tamales with meat, veggies, raisins and much more encased in a masa dough and then steamed in banana leaves instead of corn husks. Very traditional Venezuelan Christmas dish. I tasted them for the first time last December, but had never heard of them before...

b
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Mark, if you eat just one, you are eating a tamal. More than one and you are eating tamales. Right: you never eat one tamale...except here in the States, of course :)

Have any of you eaten hayacas? These are amped up tamales with meat, veggies, raisins and much more encased in a masa dough and then steamed in banana leaves instead of corn husks. Very traditional Venezuelan Christmas dish. I tasted them for the first time last December, but had never heard of them before...

b

I have! Had a friend who was Panamanian and also made them, plus I've run into versions called Costa Rican. The idea of it--with regional variations, of course--seems to be common to several South American countries.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:45 pm

So I hear--that they exist in several countries--and, like red sauce, each family has its own favorite...But I wonder why we haven't seen them more often...Even here in S. Florida, I'd have expected to have stumblied upon them...OTOH, I love a new culinary surprise.

b
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:(Tamale pie, anyone? Who can forget that staple of the casserole era?)

I believe it was Karen who said her mother made an almost identical version of this to what my mother made: ground beef, onions, canned tomatoes, green bell pepper and black olives in a sauce thickened to stew consistency with corn meal. Not one of Mom's foods that I remember with fondness. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:54 am

Tamales are easier than you think. Recommend you look at a book "tamales" by Mark Miller, Stephan Pyles and John Sedlar.... Great book, easy prep which will make you tamale making easier and much more enjoyable.

Enjoy. Mike
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:55 am

Jenise wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:(Tamale pie, anyone? Who can forget that staple of the casserole era?)

I believe it was Karen who said her mother made an almost identical version of this to what my mother made: ground beef, onions, canned tomatoes, green bell pepper and black olives in a sauce thickened to stew consistency with corn meal. Not one of Mom's foods that I remember with fondness. :)

That sounds like the high tech version, Jenise! :P My recollection of the preparation is to open 1-2 cans of tamales [sic], layer them in a casserole dish, cover with tomato sauce, ground beef and cheese and bake for some period of time. *shudder* Here's such a recipe for your enjoyment [sic]:

http://www.recipezaar.com/7186

Happy eating!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:57 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:Tamales are easier than you think. Recommend you look at a book "tamales" by Mark Miller, Stephan Pyles and John Sedlar.... Great book, easy prep which will make you tamale making easier and much more enjoyable.

I agree that they're not tough to make, Mike, but you do need good quality masa for good ones. If you live in a community without a good Mexican grocery, I'd shy away from making my own.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 pm

It goes without saying that a mercado latino in your area is one of the great sources. However, if you can find Masa Harina (dry mix) and good pork lard and perhaps some chicken stock you can mix your own masa (as I do) and make some very interesting tamales.

A trick I learned from Mrs. Hernandez from San Ysidro California (in the 50's). Put a dime in the bottom of the steaming pot before you add the colander filled with tamales. Cover your staming pot and bring it to boil. After your pot starts to steam you can hear the coin bumping on the bottom. If it stops, add more boiling water. Simple but it works and from a lady that could make tamales blind folded.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote: mix your own masa (as I do) and make some very interesting tamales.

Mike, thanks for the good idea, and a warm welcome to the forum. It looks like you've jumped right in to our discussions ... we love it when that happens!
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks Robin. I am here so I may as well join in on the fun. Family, food, wine and forums..... Good stuff. Mike
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 am

By coincidence, I watched two programs by Rick Bayless on Monday night. Both featured making tamales, the homemade type and one featured at his fancy restaurant (I can't remember the name). Here's a link to his recipes, including tamales (look under main menu): http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 am

Larry Greenly wrote:and one featured at his fancy restaurant (I can't remember the name).

Topolobampo a.k.a. the most overrated restaurant in Chicago?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 am

Couldn't tell you. I've never eaten there.
Previous