Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

JUNE-JULY COOK'S CHALLENGE

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

JUNE-JULY COOK'S CHALLENGE

by Jenise » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:41 pm

We need another challenge.

I liked last month's multi-ingredient stumper and was thinking about dropping a bunch of words in a hat and drawing a few. But that slants the options toward things I like, so just now I decided to open up a cook book and see what happened when I blindly turned pages and, eyes covered, pointed to places on the page.

The result was pretty good, so we're going with it.

Make a dish of your own invention featuring these four items:

chicken (or vegetable) mousse
goat cheese
fresh basil
lentils

The rules: basically, there are none. You may incorporate other fresh or dry ingredients. You may use any fat, seasoning or binder in your well-stocked pantry. The ingredients do not have to become a single item, but can be separate elements in a harmonious whole that would be plated together as a single course in a meal.

So, who's in?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: JUNE COOK'S CHALLENGE

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:25 pm

I think with the vegetable option, I can play this time!

Is it cheating to use the lentils in the mousse?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm in and ready to go. I love how these things just cause a spontaneous recipe to form in my head at first reading.

I have a very busy end of the month coming up (moving, rehearsals, etc.) so I may not post until early July. Is that o.k.?

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I think with the vegetable option, I can play this time!

Is it cheating to use the lentils in the mousse?

Well, if there are no rules, how can it be? Glad you're playing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:28 pm

HI, All
I'm thinking seriously about this one. But, I'm with Robert, I'm pretty busy through the first week of July. So it will be mid-month before I can come up with something. Also, I really don't like lentils (for some reason they put my teeth on edge and the texture is a bit grainy to me), but I will come up with something, I'm sure. My family is going to hate this one because no is going to like the textures or the flavors but me. But, I'm entitled to a day now and again when I cook solely for my pleasure. This will be it. See you in pictures! :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Ya know, y'all really ought to have some rules here.

The contests like this in which I've competed against other pros have a few rules.

We can ask for any fresh herb that is available.
We can ask for stock.
Any fat we wish to use.

That's just about it, with the exception that might be made by whomever is sponsoring the event. They might well have some of their products available for use.

Last time I did this we were presented with a coconut (whole,) green chilies (poblanos,) mandarin oranges and a very tough hunk of meat - beef.

On the backdrop of the set were several canned stocks, some fresh herbs and a few proprietary sauces - hoisin, for example.

Oh, and as you might suspect when you watch these things on television, yes, there is a little cheating going on.

Not much, though. The audience is told this is the first time we are seeing these ingredients. Actually, we were shown them backstage ten minutes before. They don't want us to get out there and look like complete idiots. I can usually handle that part myself without any help.

Oh, yeah, there's one other slight difference - we have 15 minutes to prepare an entire meal.

(Edited to add "fat" which I forgot.)
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Great, Chef. I tell you what. You sponsor the event and pay to have us all flown in and I can promise you that we will play by those rules...especially the 15 minute rule. Deal?

rwj
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:21 am

Robert J. wrote:Great, Chef. I tell you what. You sponsor the event and pay to have us all flown in and I can promise you that we will play by those rules...especially the 15 minute rule. Deal?

rwj

My people will get in touch with your people.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:50 am

Can't wait.
rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:HI, All
I'm thinking seriously about this one. But, I'm with Robert, I'm pretty busy through the first week of July. So it will be mid-month before I can come up with something. Also, I really don't like lentils (for some reason they put my teeth on edge and the texture is a bit grainy to me), but I will come up with something, I'm sure. My family is going to hate this one because no is going to like the textures or the flavors but me. But, I'm entitled to a day now and again when I cook solely for my pleasure. This will be it. See you in pictures! :P

Timing's fine. This one's a little late getting started.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:33 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Ya know, y'all really ought to have some rules here.

The contests like this in which I've competed against other pros have a few rules.

We can ask for any fresh herb that is available.
We can ask for stock.
Any fat we wish to use.

That's just about it, with the exception that might be made by whomever is sponsoring the event. They might well have some of their products available for use.

Joseph, have to disagree. While I appreciate the strictures of what you do in competition, what we're doing here is more like golf or bowling. If there's any competition at all, then each of us is basically only competing against our own handicap. We're not only the cooks, we're the judges of our own work. The pictures we take and post allow each of you to be a non-participating member of the audience.

What I had in mind with the "no rules" thing, not that I need to justify it, was something like that old Food Network show Ready Set Cook. A set of ingredients, plus fresh herbs and a "well-stocked pantry" as they used to say. Though I allowed for other fresh and dry ingredients, with four stipulated items there really isn't much room to stray too far from the farm and I didn't want to inhibit creativity by inadvertently precluding frozen doughs, dried pasta, yoghurt, or the happy gift of some fresh peas, just for instance.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:00 pm

What I had in mind with the "no rules" thing, not that I need to justify it, was something like that old Food Network show Ready Set Cook. A set of ingredients, plus fresh herbs and a "well-stocked pantry" as they used to say. Though I allowed for other fresh and dry ingredients, with four stipulated items there really isn't much room to stray too far from the farm and I didn't want to inhibit creativity by inadvertently precluding frozen doughs, dried pasta and yoghurt, or the happy gift of some fresh peas, just for instance.

That's all I was saying basically, Jenise. You're saying essentially the same except for the time frame deal.

And on that old Ready Set Cook thing a couple of my graduates were regulars on there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:42 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:That's all I was saying basically, Jenise. You're saying essentially the same except for the time frame deal.

And on that old Ready Set Cook thing a couple of my graduates were regulars on there.

Well, just to be certain, I'll put it another way: these four items are a minimum, not a maximum.

Really? I used to find that show pretty entertaining in spite of the fact that I found the host--Sissie?--totally annoying. Especially after getting hooked on the English version while I was in Europe, which was hosted by a fabulously personable and elegant fellow named, IIRC, Ainsley Herriott, who had real chef chops.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Jenise wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:That's all I was saying basically, Jenise. You're saying essentially the same except for the time frame deal.

Well, just to be certain, I'll put it another way: these four items are a minimum, not a maximum.

Really? I used to find that show pretty entertaining in spite of the fact that I found the host--Sissie?--totally annoying. Especially after getting hooked on the English version while I was in Europe, which was hosted by a fabulously personable and elegant fellow named, IIRC, Ainsley Herriott, who had real chef chops.

I found Ainsley a bit over the top. I never quit figured out whether he was a real chef or just a personality. I knew he was too much of a queen to make it on American television.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:57 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I found Ainsley a bit over the top. I never quit figured out whether he was a real chef or just a personality. I knew he was too much of a queen to make it on American television.

No, he was/is a real chef. At least, I saw another British cooking show he did where he cooked. Was he ever on here?--your last comment makes me think he must have been though I don't recall it. But your 'queen' comment made me laugh--I love gay men, and thought he was perfectly charming. I have trouble remembering that this is an obstacle, though it's less and less one every day.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Yeah, my guys were on with Ainsley. Some inside show biz dope. (Psst. He ain't gay.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I found Ainsley a bit over the top. I never quit figured out whether he was a real chef or just a personality. I knew he was too much of a queen to make it on American television.

No, he was/is a real chef. At least, I saw another British cooking show he did where he cooked. Was he ever on here?--your last comment makes me think he must have been though I don't recall it. But your 'queen' comment made me laugh--I love gay men, and thought he was perfectly charming. So if he's gay no wonder he resonated with me. I have trouble remembering that this is an obstacle for many, though fortunately it's less and less every day.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:54 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Yeah, my guys were on with Ainsley. Some inside show biz dope. (Psst. He ain't gay.)

You're f*****g kidding me!!! I don't believe it. I know the Brits come off as appearing a little light in the loafers (except for Prince Harry), but I'm pretty sure this guy wears frilly knickers -- even if only in the closet.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Ainsley Harriot was one of the regular chefs in the first years of Ready Steady Cook when the lovely Fern Britton (who isn't a chef) was host.

I remember a programme when everything went wrong, pan caught fire,ingredients dropped, oven burned contents and Ainsley managed it all..

He developed an even more-over-the-top TV personalility but I don't think it was as good when he took over from Fern because he kept taking over, whereas Fern was asking the questions we wanted to ask.

As for gay or not, I never thought so, but what does that have to do with anything?

'light in the loafers' -- now one on me. But you're welcome to inspect my underwear, Jo Ann, (on a reciprocal basis of course)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Ainsley Harriot was one of the regular chefs in the first years of Ready Steady Cook when the lovely Fern Britton (who isn't a chef) was host.

I remember a programme when everything went wrong, pan caught fire,ingredients dropped, oven burned contents and Ainsley managed it all..

He developed an even more-over-the-top TV personalility but I don't think it was as good when he took over from Fern because he kept taking over, whereas Fern was asking the questions we wanted to ask.

As for gay or not, I never thought so, but what does that have to do with anything?

'light in the loafers' -- now one on me. But you're welcome to inspect my underwear, Jo Ann, (on a reciprocal basis of course)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:11 am

For my fellow Red Dwarf fans - Ainsley Harriott played (uncredited) the GELF chief in the episode Emohawk - Polymorph II where Lister has to marry the hairy chief's hairy daughter to get engine parts. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:22 pm

Peter May wrote:As for gay or not, I never thought so, but what does that have to do with anything?

Nothing at all! My observation is about the sensibilities of the American media on behalf of the (conservative) American public. My life would not be complete without my host of gay friends.

You're on! :P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Just remember that you are supposed to fondle my tattoo first.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:47 am

Robert J. wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Just remember that you are supposed to fondle my tattoo first.

rwj

I thought you'd never ask! By all means. 8)
Next