Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:39 am

The CSA basket was a little different this week in that it contained only one item - over a quart of blueberries. Today's temperatures were right up at 100 or so, so I thought I'd look into doing something frozen with the blueberries. This recipe produced a very rich sherbet with very strong, concentrated blueberry flavor and just a little tang from the buttermilk. It's from my current ice cream bible, Ices, by Caroline Liddell and Robin Weir.

350 g. blueberries
250 mL simple syrup
250 mL chilled buttermilk
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 egg white

Put the blueberries into a colander, rinse well, and remove any stems or damaged fruit. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a medium saucepan. Add the syrup and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Allow to cool before transferring to the refrigerator to chill. When ready, mash the fruit coarsely with a potato masher. Stir in the buttermilk and lemon juice. Put it into the ice cream machine and start freezing. When the sherbet is just starting to get icy, beat the egg white with a fork for to loosen it and add it to the sherbet while the machine is running. When frozen to the consistency of thick whipped cream, either serve or transfer to the freezer to harden. According to the book, you may need to put it into the fridge to soften up for a half hour or so if it gets really hard.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: RCP: Blueberry Buttermilk Sherbet

by Dave R » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Mike,

Great timing! I am going to pass this recipe along to my Great Aunt and Uncle. They love blueberry desserts in the summer. And while most normal people would not be caught without bread and water in their home, these two would not be caught without simple syrup. :D

Thanks.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Sounds good. I will give this recipe a try.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:29 pm

I made this today. Very nice sherbet with a bold blueberry taste. Thanks for the rcp. It will be a nice dessert for tonight.

G
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Greg! I finished the last of mine up a couple of days ago. I have more berries, though, and a source of fresh goats milk. I'm thinking of doing another one with the goat milk standing in for the buttermilk.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 am

I like the goat's milk idea. If you make it, please post how it turned out.

G
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:05 am

Greg -

I did the goat milk version for a 4th of July potluck. It came out very well and got a lot of positive comments. It differed from the buttermilk one in that it was missing a little of the sourness, but it was also richer and had a smoother consistency (no doubt due to the fat in the goat milk). We also tried an apricot-cardamom one tonight with goat milk. It was excellent.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Greg -

I did the goat milk version for a 4th of July potluck. It came out very well and got a lot of positive comments. It differed from the buttermilk one in that it was missing a little of the sourness, but it was also richer and had a smoother consistency (no doubt due to the fat in the goat milk). We also tried an apricot-cardamom one tonight with goat milk. It was excellent.

Thanks. Sounds good to me!