Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Two unconnected topics: Ann Burrell and Rick Bayless

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Two unconnected topics: Ann Burrell and Rick Bayless

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:06 pm

I read on someone's blog that the capable blond who assists Mario Batali on Iron Chef, or did since apparently Mario's no longer part of the show, and who is exec chef of one of the restaurants in the Batali/Bastianich empire, is now going to have her own show on Food Network. Called Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, the episodes have names like The Secret to Roast Chicken and The Secret to Seared Sea Bass, and it's going to air on Sunday mornings. Isn't that just like the Food Network, to finally produce a new show with a real chef and then shove it into a loser time slot?

On another topic, for those of you haven't made the switch yet to High Def, you have a lot to look forward to with PBS' Create Channel. I was glancing through the online guide a few days ago and found Rick Bayless' show Mexico One Plate at a Time, which I've heard about and never seen, and a series by Hubert Keller that I didn't even know existed. I set the DVR to pick up both, and this morning I watched one of Rick's shows. Damn that guy's great on the air. Obviously so talented a cook, but also with a great knack for filling the air with just the right useful, colorful words that adequately explain the ingredients and techniques without condescending to beginners or boring the more expert among us. I got up with one plan for dinner, and now all I want to do is make ceviches and drink beer mojitos. Yeah, beer mojitos. Mint, 1 tblsp each simple syrup, lime juice and white rum in the bottom of a glass, ice, and then beer to fill. If it were just ten degrees warmer today, you'd never be able to talk me out of this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Two unconnected topics: Ann Burrell and Rick Bayless

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:25 pm

Jenise wrote: Yeah, beer mojitos. Mint, 1 tblsp each simple syrup, lime juice and white rum in the bottom of a glass, ice, and then beer to fill. If it were just ten degrees warmer today, you'd never be able to talk me out of this.

Oh my, that does sound good. Reminds me of my friend Ellen's Slushy Margaritas. They are wonderful because they do not require a blender.

Can of frozen limeade (use this can to measure next two ingredients)
Can of Cuervo Gold
Can of Diet 7up or Sprite
Bottle of Corona light

Stir together, freeze until slushy. Enjoy!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:28 pm

I think I read something about Burrell's new show on Chowhound. There were not many details though so thanks for the info.

I recall that Mario was going to do a PBS show with Gwyneth Paltrow of all people. Has anyone seen it/know anything about it?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:39 pm

Dave R wrote:I think I read something about Burrell's new show on Chowhound. There were not many details though so thanks for the info.

I recall that Mario was going to do a PBS show with Gwyneth Paltrow of all people. Has anyone seen it/know anything about it?

I read that too in an article about Gwyneth, and thought "HUH?" Apparently it's a foodie-travel show. He orders the food, she eats it. Or something like that. Offhand, she seems too skinny for that gig.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Don't watch TV but I love Bayless's cookbooks and his Chicago restaurants.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Don't watch TV but I love Bayless's cookbooks and his Chicago restaurants.

His show's great. Or at least this episode was but everything that was so good about it (including that he cooks in his home kitchen) was all about his personality and the good production values, and that would be there in every episode. Have to say, after watching one of the Hubert Keller shows, one by Todd English and one by a John Shields (unknown to me) later this morning, all of whom were stiff and scripted and straining to sound natural, Rick's easy and generous on-camera personae is even more impressive.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:36 am

Thinking about Rick Bayless led me straight home last night to mix up one of his Silver Margaritas. I forgot how much I enjoy a REAL margarita - silver tequila, cointreau and lime juice, ice - that's it. It may become the summer '08 preferred drink. Dinner veg was a fresh snap pea/fennel saute that had wonderful echos of the drink flavors !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:01 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Thinking about Rick Bayless led me straight home last night to mix up one of his Silver Margaritas. I forgot how much I enjoy a REAL margarita - silver tequila, cointreau and lime juice, ice - that's it. It may become the summer '08 preferred drink. Dinner veg was a fresh snap pea/fennel saute that had wonderful echos of the drink flavors !

That sounds so good! I almost hate to admit how late in life I came to appreciate margaritas and that's because the real deal that you describe had completely eluded me. All I knew was Mexican restaurant margaritas, some of which were better than others but all of which were about the sheer quantity they had to serve and not the quality of an individual drink. If it ever gets warm here....
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Don't watch TV but I love Bayless's cookbooks and his Chicago restaurants.

I like his cooking and books, too, and what I've seen of his TV show is great: he's an enthusiastic spokesman for Mexico and Mexican cooking and goes to some really fantastic locations. Like any TV, it's staged so not very "authentic," but still a great window into aspects of Mexican culture that most Americans are unaware of. His interactions with his daughter in his kitchen in Chicago are also quite fun.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

I like his cooking and books, too, and what I've seen of his TV show is great: he's an enthusiastic spokesman for Mexico and Mexican cooking and goes to some really fantastic locations. Like any TV, it's staged so not very "authentic," but still a great window into aspects of Mexican culture that most Americans are unaware of. His interactions with his daughter in his kitchen in Chicago are also quite fun.

Mark Lipton

The episode I saw was all here at home. I've set the DVR to pick up any recordings of his show it finds, so I'll look forward to a little armchair travelling, too!