Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking for NiagaraCOOL

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Cooking for NiagaraCOOL

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:21 pm

This past weekend (6/21-22) we had our 4th Annual NiagaraCOOL. Saturday we did winery tours of the “Bench” on the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario (will post on the Wine Lovers Forum) and Sunday was the picnic, held at the West Canal Marina Park, located along the banks of the Erie Canal. I spent most Thursday shopping at several local food stores. Since the wine theme was Italian wines, I tried to put an Italian slant on the foods, selecting Italian cheeses, dried sausage, hot and mild Italian sausage, spare ribs with Italian seasoned dry rub and BBQ sauce, etc. I started cooking at 7AM on Friday, preparing several of the foods.
Using Chef Carey’s recipes for BBQ dry rub and sauce, I eliminated the “Southern/Cajun” spices and substituted Italian style ingredients, as follows:

Italian Dry Rub
Ingredient Quantity
Cayenne pepper ¼ Cup
Paprika ½ Cup
Black pepper, finely ground ½ Cup
Garlic powder ¼ Cup
Dry Basil ¼ Cup
Dry Rosemary ¼ Cup
Oregano 1 TBSP
Dry mustard 1 TBSP
Ground Cloves 1 TBSP
Celery salt 3 TBSP
Ground fennel seed 3 TBSP

Italian Barbecue Sauce
Ingredient Quantity
Onions, yellow, minced 2 Cups
Olive oil ½ Cup
Cayenne 3 TBSP
Spaghetti Sauce 6 cups
Dry mustard 3 Tablespoons
Red wine vinegar 2 Cups
Sugar 1 Cup (I added this after it was pureed – it needed a bit more sweetness)
Pepper, black 1 Teaspoon
19 oz. jar roasted red peppers with liquid
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can anchovies
The sauce was cooked in my pressure cooker for about 20 minutes and then pureed.

I then prepared the following:
Jenise's Pineapple Muffins, which I baked in a tube pan.
Corn Bread - I used this to make the Corn Bread Salad posted in the same link on Sunday morning. (Jo Ann – this salad got great reviews at the picnic. I’m thinking that I’ll add the bacon next time, which you listed as an option).
[url]Potato Salad[/url]
Hummus
Tapenade
Hard Boiled Eggs (for deviled eggs and the potato salad)

This kept me busy until about 6PM, when I drove to the airport to pick up John Fiola, who stayed at my house the weekend and was a great in helping me get thing ready. After John got settled in, James & Jeanette Roscoe and their daughters got into town and we headed out to Buzzy’s for wings and pizza. Saturday morning at 8:30, Ed Draves picked us up for the winery tours, followed by a nice dinner at Suzanne’s Fine Dining (mmmm prime rib). We got home about 10PM.
I woke up about 3AM and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I started cooking and preparing for the picnic. I prepared the marinade for the shrimp (garlic, lemon juice, ginger, salt and olive oil), put the chicken in the Chiavetta’s marinade and did the dry rub on the ribs. I then made the 3-Bean Salad, Cole Slaw, Corn Bread Salad, Tossed Salad, Deviled Eggs (mayo, mustard, horseradish and salt), Beans & Greens Soup, spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and cut up most of the veggies for dipping and grilling. John and I arrived at the park with the first load of supplies about 10:30 AM and we started the charcoal going in the grill. While John stayed at the park, I went to the store to get the clams and a few other items. When I returned, we got the ribs started (I borrowed my son’s rib racks – those things are real handy) and went back to pick up more stuff. I returned for one more trip, finally getting to the picnic at 1:45 (late, as always). I pretty much spent the rest of the day cooking, but my wine glass was never empty, as I was sampling the nice selection of Italian wines. I tried to cook the foods in some order of progression that would coincide with a wine progression from whites to reds, but I think most of the folks opened whatever wine they felt like, as we listened to Chaz Baz playing guitar and singing folk songs for us. In order were served appetizers, salads (set up on an iced table) steamed clams, Beans & Greens soup, grilled shrimp, Chiavetta’s Chicken, Italian sausage (made by one of my favorite local butchers), and finally, the ribs. The only cooking problem I had was with the fire going almost completely out early in the day, which slowed down the rib cooking, as some folks were leaving by the time they were ready. Two of my sons arrived later in the day (they were camping all weekend) and, along with John and James and Jeanette, we did a pretty good cleanup job of the pavillion. I got home about 10PM and within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow I was in Never-Never-Land. John woke me up Monday morning (as I slept through the alarm) and I drove him to the airport for his 9AM flight. All in all, it was a fun weekend, with some great wines and great folks.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: Cooking for NiagaraCOOL

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Great report Howie, but I am confused.

Didn't you say last year something about toning things down for this year's event???!!! :shock:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:24 pm

I'm glad you said it, Bruce, so I didn't have to!

Oh, what the heck.....

Howie, you really do way too much, especially since you mainly do it all yourself! You're not as young as you used to be. :wink:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I'm glad you said it, Bruce, so I didn't have to!

Oh, what the heck.....

Howie, you really do way too much, especially since you mainly do it all yourself! You're not as young as you used to be. :wink:

I asked him the same question before the picnic. I will say that there were fewer leftovers than last year. He did not make as much of each item. The deviled eggs disappeared quickly, and I didn't see any shrimp hanging around. The ribs came out late, and those fools who left early did not get their fill. My daughter was still talking about them this morning! All in all, I would have to say Howie DID keep it down , a little. :roll: :shock: Everyone MUST come next year.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:27 pm

OK JR..where are the pics?!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:OK JR..where are the pics?!!

I have NO idea how to upload pictures onto this site. (It used to be easy. :oops: )
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:You're not as young as you used to be. :wink:

Oh yeah, there is a phrase that is guaranteed to work on a man, any man. In my experience, a woman using this phrase will generate the opposite effect. :lol:
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks for the GREAT REPORT Howie! As usual the food sounds delicious! Job well done Howie and Ed!

Salute
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 pm

That's sounds incredible Howie...hopefully someday my husband and I can make it!

So how did the ribs turn out?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Oh yeah, there is a phrase that is guaranteed to work on a man, any man. In my experience, a woman using this phrase will generate the opposite effect. :lol:

Well, duh, Bruce! I am hoping to make it next year and I don't want him deciding to cut back then!! :lol:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Maria Samms wrote:That's sounds incredible Howie...hopefully someday my husband and I can make it!

So how did the ribs turn out?
We'd love to have you and your husband. You should be able to make the drive in about 8 hours. Well, I liked the ribs. They weren't your typical Southern BBQ style, but I think it worked. I'm hoping some of the attendees will come forward with some honest feedback. :wink:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 am

NCOOL Ribs.jpg
Shrimp and ribs cooking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 am

Howie, I'm hungry for those ribs and it isn't even 8:00 AM!!!

By the way, I loved the cornbread salad, but my wife and daughter found it "soapy tasting". What was in it? I thought it was delicious along with the cole slaw. I didn't get to try too many of the other salads as I was busy eating shrimp, chicken, and ribs.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:36 am

James Roscoe wrote:...By the way, I loved the cornbread salad...What was in it? I thought it was delicious along with the cole slaw. I didn't get to try too many of the other salads as I was busy eating shrimp, chicken, and ribs.
The ingredients are listed in the link to Corn Bread in the first post of this thread. From that thread, scroll down until you come to Jo Ann Henderson's post. Soapy? I didn't get that. However, I think crumbled bacon, as Jo Ann suggests, would be a nice addition.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:28 am

Howie Hart wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:...By the way, I loved the cornbread salad...What was in it? I thought it was delicious along with the cole slaw. I didn't get to try too many of the other salads as I was busy eating shrimp, chicken, and ribs.
The ingredients are listed in the link to Corn Bread in the first post of this thread. From that thread, scroll down until you come to Jo Ann Henderson's post. Soapy? I didn't get that. However, I think crumbled bacon, as Jo Ann suggests, would be a nice addition.

The party sounds great, Howie - maybe one of these years...

I make an "every day"* cornbread that is almost - literally - identical to Jo Ann's. And in regard to the options she lists, I got busy this weekend while making cornbread (dosing Fatso while cooking) and forgot my cup of fat (butter - was under the towel I was holding him with.) Came out just dandy anyway. Actually the coarser texture many Southerners seem to prefer.

* I also make one for "high tone" cookery that involves separating the eggs and whipping the the whites.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:03 am

Howie Hart wrote:[Soapy?

Did you add cilantro by any chance? :P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:06 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:

Nope. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a small part of the center of the corn bread didn't get completely baked and maybe Jeanette got that part, but it did all crumble up nicely. :?:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:55 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:

That was Jeannette's assumption.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 am

James Roscoe wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I'm glad you said it, Bruce, so I didn't have to!

Oh, what the heck.....

I asked him the same question before the picnic. I will say that there were fewer leftovers than last year. He did not make as much of each item. The deviled eggs disappeared quickly, and I didn't see any shrimp hanging around. The ribs came out late, and those fools who left early did not get their fill. My daughter was still talking about them this morning! All in all, I would have to say Howie DID keep it down , a little. :roll: :shock: Everyone MUST come next year.

I will be there, god willing. I will help ease the load on Howie, if I'm allowed. And thanks for the report, too, Howie. Fantastic effort as usual!
Cheers,

David