Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Farro - the grain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Farro - the grain

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:10 pm

I bought Farro last year to make a cold salad recipe which was excellent. I want to make it again for this weekend but I cannot find Farro in Redding. The health food store suggested I use Spelt but in research I found that Spelt will not hold up like Farro and becomes rather mushy. I have forgotten what Farro looked or tasted like but I have the recipe marked a 10+.
If anyone is familiar with this grain, I am wondering if wheat berries (which I have) would be a good substitute? I know they have a firm, chewy texture as does Farro, from what I read.
The recipe has fresh corn kernels, garden tomatoes, fresh herbs and a balsamic vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Farro - the grain

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Why not mail order? Farro is pretty distinctive, so wheat berries won't really duplicate things.

Is there a Nuggets or Whole Paycheck anywhere in your area?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Why not mail order? Farro is pretty distinctive, so wheat berries won't really duplicate things.

Is there a Nuggets or Whole Paycheck anywhere in your area?

No, but I have a call into the Nuggets in Woodland....they are checking. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 am

You can get farro from A.G. Ferrari in SF. Here is the link:

http://www.agferrari.com/index.php/

There are 3 distinct grains that go by the generic word farro in Italy.
Triticum dicoccum Schübler aka emmer wheat.
Triticum spelta L. aka spelt.
Triticum monococcum L. aka Einkorn

I have experience with the first 2. Emmer wheat is my preference. The kernels tend to be less polished and slightly more elongated than spelt. Spelt is a bit nuttier in flavor and is a little less able to hold its texture if cooked too long.

The Producer Rustichella d'Abruzza also packages farro intero (emmer variety) that is sold in the US. You'd have to check specialty Italian markets for it.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:54 am

Triticum dicoccum is what I can barely make out on this package. I ordered it from igourmet.com.
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/photoview.aspx?prod=1567
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:37 am

It looks like the right stuff. Enjoy!
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 am

I recently ate a farrotto at a restaurant (risotto made with farro). Very yummy. More grain-y than when made with rice.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:07 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I bought Farro last year to make a cold salad recipe which was excellent. I want to make it again for this weekend but I cannot find Farro in Redding. The health food store suggested I use Spelt but in research I found that Spelt will not hold up like Farro and becomes rather mushy. I have forgotten what Farro looked or tasted like but I have the recipe marked a 10+.
If anyone is familiar with this grain, I am wondering if wheat berries (which I have) would be a good substitute? I know they have a firm, chewy texture as does Farro, from what I read.
The recipe has fresh corn kernels, garden tomatoes, fresh herbs and a balsamic vinaigrette.

Karen...I've kind of been on a farro kick lately. I recently made farro with chanterelles, green beans and marscarpone and a Giada recipe--farro salad with tomatoes and herbs. If you're interested, I'm happy to post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:35 pm

TraciM wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I bought Farro last year to make a cold salad recipe which was excellent. I want to make it again for this weekend but I cannot find Farro in Redding. The health food store suggested I use Spelt but in research I found that Spelt will not hold up like Farro and becomes rather mushy. I have forgotten what Farro looked or tasted like but I have the recipe marked a 10+.

Karen...I've kind of been on a farro kick lately. I recently made farro with chanterelles, green beans and marscarpone and a Giada recipe--farro salad with tomatoes and herbs. If you're interested, I'm happy to post.

I'm not Karen but I'm interested, in particular with the salad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Traci, I'd love the recipe, as well. My kind of summer food....yum! Thanks.