Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Why I'm glad I learned to cook

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Why I'm glad I learned to cook

by John F » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:38 pm

My family is back in the US for the summer so I'm on my own for a few weeks in Tokyo. I got home last night about 8 from work and looked in my "bachelor fridge" (lots if white space!) and grabbed a couple of things I had picked up the other day. One was a nice piece of veal tenderloin and the other a batch of broad beans.

I "salt & peppered" the veal and then seared in an All Clad oven proof skillet using a bit of EVOO and then threw it in the oven for 10 minutes. I chopped a bit of fresh thyme up and then squeezed out the juice of one lemon. When I pulled the skillet out of the oven I deglazed the pan with lemon juice and thyme and it turned into this rich, brown syrup that was loaded with flavor. I drizzled it over the veal and the interplay of the slightly crusty exterior with the softness of the medium rare interior was amazing - with the sauce bringing it all together and higlighting the best of both.

I served the broad beans on the side - I boiled for 3 minutes and then drained and sauteed in a bit of EVOO and unsalted butter, topped with fresh ground pepper and a dusting of freshly grated Parmesan. I washed it all down with a 1998 Burgundy - the Clos du Roi from Jean Boillot & Fils.

I thought to myself ..... I made this in less than 30 minutes with no recipe whatsoever using whatever I could find in my fridge....and damn is it good. This food hobby ain't a bad thing!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Why I'm glad I learned to cook

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:03 pm

John F wrote:This food hobby ain't a bad thing!

That's for sure!

I love being resourceful like that. I just wish it happened more often. The nights I get home at 8, I usually just don't bother with dinner. :oops:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:03 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote: The nights I get home at 8, I usually just don't bother with dinner. :oops:

That's 'cos pizza takes too long to prepare :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:12 pm

John F wrote:I thought to myself ..... I made this in less than 30 minutes with no recipe whatsoever using whatever I could find in my fridge....and damn is it good. This food hobby ain't a bad thing!

John, I've long maintained that some of the best and most creatively satisfying meals I make are the seat-of-the-pants ones where the refrigerator's a little more barren than normal and I can't fall back on the more usual combinations. Say, I thought of you today watching a Todd English episode where he went to Nantucket (that's where your summer place is, right?) and fished for those incredible scallops. I had no idea that they were "caught" with a rake while standing waist deep in water.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:58 pm

The mark of an excellent cook is that one can improvise an excellent meal on the fly.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 am

Paul Winalski wrote:The mark of an excellent cook is that one can improvise an excellent meal on the fly.

-Paul W.

... and in someone else's kitchen, no less!
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 am

Bernard Roth wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:The mark of an excellent cook is that one can improvise an excellent meal on the fly.

-Paul W.

... and in someone else's kitchen, no less!

Isn't that FUN? I'm often at someone else's house when a glass of wine turns into "stay for dinner", and I end up in the kitchen helping with the preparation. The mystery package that is someone else's kitchen and ingredients combines everything we're talking about with a treasure hunt and the prospect of unknown riches.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Jenise wrote:
John F wrote:I thought to myself ..... I made this in less than 30 minutes with no recipe whatsoever using whatever I could find in my fridge....and damn is it good. This food hobby ain't a bad thing!

John, I've long maintained that some of the best and most creatively satisfying meals I make are the seat-of-the-pants ones where the refrigerator's a little more barren than normal and I can't fall back on the more usual combinations. Say, I thought of you today watching a Todd English episode where he went to Nantucket (that's where your summer place is, right?) and fished for those incredible scallops. I had no idea that they were "caught" with a rake while standing waist deep in water.

Nantucket it is - only one more month to go in the urban jungle here and then I will spend three weeks there. The scalloping is done in the fall - it is seasonal and requires a license (easily attainable) but it's fun. If we weren't living in Tokyo we would be up there around Columbus Day to "muck around" - and enjoy the still sunny days and cool nights. The fishing is great then too - so you can be outside during the day, "rake in" some scallops, catch some striped bass around sundown (6pm) and have an amazing repaste by 8 PM - and light a fire in the fireplace.....does it sound like I miss it??