Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dining in and around Mt. Vernon, WA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Dining in and around Mt. Vernon, WA

by Jenise » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 pm

So Mike, what's the restaurant scene like down your way? Where do you go when you go out? (Please don't say Seattle.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Re: Dining in and around Mt. Vernon, WA

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Well I will tell you we are in a restaurant wasteland for real 'great' food. We have one place on Chuckanut Drive (Oyster bar) that has 'good' seafood and oysters (next door to an oyster farm) and there are many 'burger' type places in the county. But.....If you want great good and a great restaurant experience you wont come to M.Vernon because they are not here.

My wife says we eat best at home. Breakfast was crepes with Washington Bing Cherry sauce.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Well I will tell you we are in a restaurant wasteland for real 'great' food. We have one place on Chuckanut Drive (Oyster bar) that has 'good' seafood and oysters (next door to an oyster farm) and there are many 'burger' type places in the county. But.....If you want great good and a great restaurant experience you wont come to M.Vernon because they are not here.

My wife says we eat best at home. Breakfast was crepes with Washington Bing Cherry sauce.

Washington Bing Cherry Sauce? Wow, and they must have been fresh cherries. Hey, I have a timely recipe for you involving bing cherries and chevre cheese. It's the second best reason that fresh cherry season is my favorite time of the year. I'll post it this morning.

But I'm sorry to hear Mt. Vernon's a wasteland. I've often wondered, as I've driven through, where I would go if I knew more about the town. Sometimes we're coming back from Seattle or points south and east and Mt. Vernon would be a more sensible place to stop for dinner, timewise. I just thought there had to be some cool places, after all you had that cool combination cooking tools and wine shop--Gretchens, I think?--before Bellingham ever had a cooking tools store. That is, we do now but it's still not as cool as Gretchen's.

Bellingham the same. There are a lot of restaurants now, more and more every day, but sadly few that would last more than a month in a Seattle or a week in San Francisco or L.A. The good thing about living at the north end like I do--and having a Nexus pass--is that I can slip over the border and dine well in Vancouver and it's suburbs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:02 am

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Well I will tell you we are in a restaurant wasteland for real 'great' food. We have one place on Chuckanut Drive (Oyster bar) that has 'good' seafood and oysters (next door to an oyster farm) and there are many 'burger' type places in the county. But.....If you want great good and a great restaurant experience you wont come to M.Vernon because they are not here.

Washington Bing Cherry Sauce? Wow, and they must have been fresh cherries. Hey, I have a timely recipe for you involving bing cherries and chevre cheese. It's the second best reason that fresh cherry season is my favorite time of the year. I'll post it this morning.

But I'm sorry to hear Mt. Vernon's a wasteland. I've often wondered, as I've driven through, where I would go if I knew more about the town. Sometimes we're coming back from Seattle or points south and east and Mt. Vernon would be a more sensible place to stop for dinner, timewise. I just thought there had to be some cool places, after all you had that cool combination cooking tools and wine shop--Gretchens, I think?--before Bellingham ever had a cooking tools store. That is, we do now but it's still not as cool as Gretchen's.

Bellingham the same. There are a lot of restaurants now, more and more every day, but sadly few that would last more than a month in a Seattle or a week in San Francisco or L.A. The good thing about living at the north end like I do--and having a Nexus pass--is that I can slip over the border and dine well in Vancouver and it's suburbs.

Send me that recipe for your Cherry/Chevre and I will send one back for authenticate falafel given to me by a women from Egypt. Good trade.

I am harsh on restaurant evaluations. In order to get a return visit they have to impress me somehow, preferably with the food. So although there may be a few ‘good’ places here I have yet to experience them. The Oyster Bar on Chuckanut Drive is ‘good’ not great. Calico Cupboard (near the tulip smoke stack in downtown) is okay for breakfast but not consistent and that fact causes me not to visit there very often. We could discuss evaluations until we ran out of bandwidth !!

Gretchens is pretty good for the usual items. Specialty items we have to defer to the web, the worlds largest shopping center.

One last example of a poor value restaurant that could be good but is not, Anthonys. If they would improve the portion/price equation that place could be graded better…. Am I too harsh ??
??
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:I am harsh on restaurant evaluations. In order to get a return visit they have to impress me somehow, preferably with the food. So although there may be a few ‘good’ places here I have yet to experience them. The Oyster Bar on Chuckanut Drive is ‘good’ not great. Calico Cupboard (near the tulip smoke stack in downtown) is okay for breakfast but not consistent and that fact causes me not to visit there very often. We could discuss evaluations until we ran out of bandwidth !!

Gretchens is pretty good for the usual items. Specialty items we have to defer to the web, the worlds largest shopping center.

One last example of a poor value restaurant that could be good but is not, Anthonys. If they would improve the portion/price equation that place could be graded better…. Am I too harsh ??
??

Too harsh? No, you're a man afer my own heart. Everyone around here thinks I'm such a nasty person because I don't have a single Bellingham restaurant to speak well of. That is, at best a few are 'okay'. I usually end up having to explain, "If I can make whatever they serve me better at home, why should I eat there?" None of the fine dining places I've been to so far make the cut. As you say, the Oyster Bar's good, probably Bellingham's best restaurant. A new French bistro called Tivoli has opened recently that I simply must try--if the food lives up to the menu, I'll be in heaven. A friend of mine who is a former professional chef and their food service purveyor assures me that it's the real deal. Otherwise I love the Sofia pizza at La Fiamma, the chile relleno at Taco Lobo, and a havarti on pumpernickel hold the mayo at The Bagelry. Hardly fine dining, but that's it for restaurant food I'd sorely miss if I moved away. My biggest complaint is Asian food. Sushi here SUCKS, and Chinese/Asian food can be judged by the China Express places in the grocery stores in which all the main dishes are fried meat with overly sweet sauces. Godawful.

I am saved by the fact that Vancouver's close by and there is amazing food there. Even some great stuff in White Rock.

But you have Slough Food.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 pm

"Too harsh? No, you're a man afer my own heart. Everyone around here thinks I'm such a nasty person because I don't have a single Bellingham restaurant to speak well of. That is, at best a few are 'okay'. I usually end up having to explain, "If I can make whatever they serve me better at home, why should I eat there?" None of the fine dining places I've been to so far make the cut. As you say, the Oyster Bar's good, probably Bellingham's best restaurant. A new French bistro called Tivoli has opened recently that I simply must try--if the food lives up to the menu, I'll be in heaven. A friend of mine who is a former professional chef and their food service purveyor assures me that it's the real deal. Otherwise I love the Sofia pizza at La Fiamma, the chile relleno at Taco Lobo, and a havarti on pumpernickel hold the mayo at The Bagelry. Hardly fine dining, but that's it for restaurant food I'd sorely miss if I moved away. My biggest complaint is Asian food. Sushi here SUCKS, and Chinese/Asian food can be judged by the China Express places in the grocery stores in which all the main dishes are fried meat with overly sweet sauces. Godawful.

I am saved by the fact that Vancouver's close by and there is amazing food there. Even some great stuff in White Rock.

But you have Slough Food.Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher "

Precisely ! If you can do better at home, and have your wine without watcing over your shoulder for WSP, then why donate you hard earned dollars to a mediocre restaurant. I have tried some places in Bellingham but few demand a repeat. Oyster bar 'Okay" but like I said not that impressive. I paid a kings ransom for a piece of King Salmon last month, at the bar, and it was the size of the palm of your hand. Last night I did a side of sockeye (all of it) for less and I had some vino to boot. let me know about the bistro and perhaps I can aim the hybrid that way and try it. Vancouver is our saving grace although it has been sometime since our last visit. Asian... not here really ! PF Changs is okay in Lynwood but so noisy you may loose your hearing before the meal is over. I think we both probably eat best at home !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:22 pm

If you can do better at home, and have your wine without watcing over your shoulder for WSP, then why donate you hard earned dollars to a mediocre restaurant.

I too think the Oyster Bar is overpriced and I say knowing that every time I've been there someone else was paying, so it's not like I even had to deal with the bill, a comment that might rob you of the ability to understand that I'm completely willing to pay for quality and artistry. They charge for the view, though, can't argue with that. I'd rather drop by Slough Food in Bow Edison and buy some cheeses, salumi, baguette and a bottle, and have a picnic on the point another mile up the hill. (Please assure me that you know all about Slough Food and are a regular customer.)

What about Anacortes or La Conner? I spent two years of my life visiting Anacortes (I lived in Southern California then) for monthly progress meetings when I was the owner's Cost and Schedule Manager for a cogen being built at the then-Texaco refinery there back in the late 80's, and there was nothing there. La Conner in particular seems to have grown up a lot since then, though I haven't eaten there since moving up. Anacortes--not so much.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Jenise wrote:What about Anacortes or La Conner?

I've heard good things about Il Posto in Anacortes but not gotten up there to try it myself. They talk a good game at their website: http://www.ilpostoristorante.com/
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:00 am

"What about Anacortes or La Conner? I spent two years of my life visiting Anacortes (I lived in Southern California then) for monthly progress meetings when I was the owner's Cost and Schedule Manager for a cogen being built at the then-Texaco refinery there back in the late 80's, and there was nothing there. La Conner in particular seems to have grown up a lot since then, though I haven't eaten there since moving up. Anacortes--not so much.Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher "

Both Anacortes and La Conner have a Calico Cupboard which is best for breakfast but as mentioned in past thread NOT consistent in quality. We have tried various places such as the Light House now Palmers in La Conner...so so.... and some name unknow mex in Anacortes and they served something that was green and awful they thought it was guacamole. I defy you to find any avocado in it.... So our sorties into those two locals are somewhat limited becuase we cannot find and 'interesting' places... Have you tried Fino in Bellingham ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 am

Both Anacortes and La Conner have a Calico Cupboard which is best for breakfast but as mentioned in past thread NOT consistent in quality. We have tried various places such as the Light House now Palmers in La Conner...so so.... and some name unknow mex in Anacortes and they served something that was green and awful they thought it was guacamole. I defy you to find any avocado in it.... So our sorties into those two locals are somewhat limited becuase we cannot find and 'interesting' places... Have you tried Fino in Bellingham?

Mike, here's my snobbery showing: I would not walk through the door of a place called Calico Cupboard unprompted. The name suggests frilly ladies decor and food like chicken caesar salad (creamy, of course), a dish I personally believe needs to be eradicated from the planet. All those years ago we used to eat regularly at Boomers, I think it was called, for Chart House kind of good basic grilled steak and fish, and in summer we'd drive over to La Conner for salmon that was baked on outdoor grills--you could smell it for blocks around. No idea if either of those are still there but those were just about our only two options. There's a place on Commercial called The Eclectic Cafe I'd try if I ever found myself there and hungry when they're open. Hasn't happened yet. And there's pretty good basic Chinese food at the joint next door to Compass Wines (which is invariably what brings me to Anacortes anyway)--if you instruct your waiter to tell the kitchen that you're Chinese. Even if you're not. Makes a world of difference: less sugar, more flavor. Had lunch at the brewery there once, and it was just okay. Not many choices if you don't want a burger or fried food, and a total waste if you're not having beer.

Fino, yes! Love the room (it's just my style, I could move in), but the food's been hit and miss. The first time there I had the best Vitello Tonnato I've ever had. The veal was med rare and almost shaved into a tender pile, the sauce was excellent and sparing. A sprinkle of white truffle oil added another layer of freshness, and a bundle of undressed mache with but perfect fleur de sel was on the side. I was in heaven--world class food in Bellingham! Everything else was good, too. Well prepared, artfully plated. That was at dinner--a few days later I went back for lunch, eager to have the Vitello again. And it was the worst Vitello Tonnato I've ever had: sawdust dry like the most overcooked turkey breast you've ever had, thick, tasteless, buried under way too much of a too thick sauce, no mache...had to send it back. I've had mostly good luck since, though. The last time I had lunch there, my veal with crab hollondaise was brilliant as was my friend Chris' made-from-scratch-to-order vegetable risotto. What keeps me from darkening their door more often is the rapacious mark-ups on the wine list, and Mick the owner bristles if you dare say so. The last time we were there we paid $70 for an unfamiliar Italian Aglianico that I found at Haggen's the next day for $21. I take it you've been?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Jenise wrote:I would not walk through the door of a place called Calico Cupboard unprompted. The name suggests frilly ladies decor...

Silly me. I thought it meant the owners keep their cats locked in a cabinet. (Rather sensible of them, actually. :twisted: )
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:I would not walk through the door of a place called Calico Cupboard unprompted. The name suggests frilly ladies decor...

Silly me. I thought it meant the owners keep their cats locked in a cabinet. (Rather sensible of them, actually. :twisted: )

I immediately thought of storage for fabric for old-fashioned bed quilts. (Not the kind I make and exhibit.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Jenise wrote:if you instruct your waiter to tell the kitchen that you're Chinese. Even if you're not. Makes a world of difference: less sugar, more flavor.

I have found the same to be true pretty much everywhere, so that's what I do. I also tell them in Thai places that I want it "Thai hot." It's never been too hot to eat yet, even when the waiter watches me carefully because he knows what they put in the food!
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Mike, here's my snobbery showing: I would not walk through the door of a place called Calico Cupboard unprompted. The name suggests frilly ladies decor and food like chicken caesar salad (creamy, of course), a dish I personally believe needs to be eradicated from the planet. All those years ago we used to eat regularly at Boomers, I think it was called, for Chart House kind of good basic grilled steak and fish, and in summer we'd drive over to La Conner for salmon that was baked on outdoor grills--you could smell it for blocks around. No idea if either of those are still there but those were just about our only two options.... Fino, yes!

The La Conner outside salmon roast was the old Lighthouse. Subsequently now owned by Palmers which, as in the past, is hit and miss. No real consistency. In their old location I had several meals, one great, served with some very old gran marnier. I am going to try Fino again and if Tivoli is open I will try that soon.

Its a real pain ( being kind) to spend good bucks on a supposed good place and end up with a plate of cookie cutter food. I am cruel in that if that occurs we are history and will not repeat and take a chance that they had a bad day. Like I said before impress me, feed me some good food or adios. And the bad thing about most risotto out is most place parboil the damn rice and cook it again for your service. Good risotto takes at least 25 minutes and if you cant wait then you get what you deserve.... Don't get me started I will run out of bandwidth.

If food is done correctly in a great restaurant a well mannered guest does not give a damn about time. They do give a damn about taste, quality, presentation and the entire experience. True ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:The La Conner outside salmon roast was the old Lighthouse. Subsequently now owned by Palmers which, as in the past, is hit and miss. No real consistency. In their old location I had several meals, one great, served with some very old gran marnier. I am going to try Fino again and if Tivoli is open I will try that soon.

Every summer I make a version of salmon baked on the grill in the style of that I remember from La Conner. One of those unusual foods that's almost more satisfying to smell (from blocks away even) than to eat.

And the bad thing about most risotto out is most place parboil the damn rice and cook it again for your service. Good risotto takes at least 25 minutes and if you cant wait then you get what you deserve.... Don't get me started I will run out of bandwidth.

Right. I've rarely had it made perfectly fresh in restaurants, and I certainly didn't expect it in Bellingham. Might have been helped that day by the fact that the restaurant was fairly empty.

If food is done correctly in a great restaurant a well mannered guest does not give a damn about time. They do give a damn about taste, quality, presentation and the entire experience. True ?

True. But there are a lot of ill-mannered guests who should stick to Applebee's. :)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

For me, the name Calico Cupboard brings back fond memories of a Main Street dining establishment in little Ellijay, Georgia, or the "meat & three" genre - i.e., country comfort food for those of us who were reared on such unpretentious, but oh so good, home-cooked style fare.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

For me, the name Calico Cupboard brings back fond memories of a Main Street dining establishment in little Ellijay, Georgia, or the "meat & three" genre - i.e., country comfort food for those of us who were reared on such unpretentious, but oh so good, home-cooked style fare.

And there's nothing wrong with that--I love comfort food, too.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Without knowing something specific, I would not turn my nose up at a place named Calico Cupboard because I would think it indicated the establishment served a variety of cuisines; hence the "Calico" in the name.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:43 pm

That's the actual name of the Ellijay restaurant. The owner - a little old lady named Ruth, is famous around those parts for her fantastic pies.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:46 pm

When I was in public accounting, we went there for lunch at least twice a week, and knew to go early for the best pie selection. The prime ones (coconut cream, chocolate cream) sold out fast.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:55 am

Jenise, the risotto at Fino was excellent but do you remember that I ordered something else and they brought me risotto instead?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:00 pm

Chris wrote:Jenise, the risotto at Fino was excellent but do you remember that I ordered something else and they brought me risotto instead?

I do. The dish you ordered involved scallops where this was served with shrimp grilled in a spanish paprika, garlic and butter sauce. Never discount my ability to remember food! But truly all was forgiven, and you did say that if you had noticed the shrimp was on risotto you'd have ordered it anyway.