Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Flavored Coffee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Flavored Coffee

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 am

Generally, I'm not a fan of adding flavors to my coffee (a little splash of Bailey's can be nice after dinner). However, last week, as I was getting things ready for NiagaraCOOL, I had to use my coffee grinder to grind up fennel seeds for the dry rub to put on the ribs. When finished, I cleaned it the best I could, but when I gound my French roast beans for my next pot of coffee, there was still just a hint of the fennel seed flavor and aroma in the coffee. I liked it, as it enhanced the flavor. The next pot of coffee I make at home this weekend (I drink all my coffee during the week at work) I'm going to add about 3-4 fennel seeds to the grinder with the coffee and I'll report back. Do other folks here add flavors to their coffees? I know some people who add a pinch of cinnamon, but I don't really care for it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Flavored Coffee

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 am

I'm not a fan of flavored coffee either, Howie. I really enjoy the flavor of high quality beans ground fresh for each cup, and see no need to adulterate. Keep those syrups and liquers away from my coffee! But a restrained use of spice can add an interesting, haunting bit of exotica to a pot of joe that's like a trip to a foreign land. I don't mind the occasional bit of cinnamon (no powder--grind good quality cinnamon bark with the coffee), and borrowing the Lebanese tradition of adding cardamom pods especially after a middle eastern style dinner can be heavenly.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 am

Different varietals provide sufficiently distinct tastes for me that I vary the beans and don't use flavored coffees.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:50 am

Always seemed to me that flavoring was a way to cover up bad beans. Agree with both comments ..don't want to cover up the taste of a good bean but do enjoy a subtle flavor of a few cardamom seeds, honey and cream on occasion. This however becomes an after dinner drink more than a cup of coffee.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:56 pm

I have to be desperate for coffee to drink flavored coffee.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:55 pm

A little chocolate - then it becomes a mocha. Mochacino/mochaccino (sp ?) is very popular in this part of the world.

Like the sound of fennel - it would add a slightly anise nuance.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:19 pm

In other countries many additives such as ginger, palm sugar, or complete spice blends are added to coffee during the brew cycle. In Morroco they sometimes use a Top of the Shop spice called Ras Al Hanout which is comprised on nutmeg, rosebuds, cinnamon, mace, anise seeds, tumeric orris root, cayenne, lavender, white pepper, ginger, cloves, allspice,and two types of cardamom.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:16 pm

What about Turkish style coffees? I don't like sugar in my coffee at all, but that thick sweet sludge that is the turkish style of coffee is quite good. The first time I had that, I was in Damascus and on crutches from a pre-trip injury. A group of us was going into up some building that had a million stairs, so I begged off and sat on a bench near a garden of many raised beds. Then I heard "Pssst! Pssst!" I turned around and within a short fence in one of the raised beds sat a robed, bearded old man in front of this little brazier, which had a lit fire in it. A small tin pot gurgled on top and he patted a sitting pillow next to his and motioned for me to join him. I did. And that's where I had my first Turkish coffee, served in a tall, small diameter glass. If you'd given me that here I'd have probably spit it out as it's so different from what I like. But there, at the invitation of a kind stranger who dared ignore our differences to show a wounded foreigner some hospitality? I loved it, and have loved it ever since.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:A little chocolate - then it becomes a mocha.

Completely agree with Sue.

Carl
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:24 pm

I avoid the flavored coffees one can buy in stores like the plague. They're invariably horribly over-done for my taste, even when the flavor might otherwise be at least somewhat compatible with coffee. Like many of you, though, I like a little cinnamon stick and /or cardamom in the brew basket once in a while.

On the Turkish coffee thing, I think the first time I had it was at a Greek festival here in town. I was with some friends and we'd all had our share of Ouzo when the "Greek coffee" came out. We got our little cups and began sipping. One of my pals, who'd had maybe a little more Ouzo then the rest of us, demanded that we chug the coffee-shots right to the bottom. Man, was that ever nasty! There's a reason they let those grounds settle.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I, too, avoid those flavored coffees like the plague (they may well be one.)

I had quite a surprise one morning when one of my students had used the coffee grinder to "crush" some Tellicherry peppercorns. Just swiped it out afterwords apparently. Ground my beans as usual. Made coffee.

After an initial shock I was quite pleasantly surprised. Drank the whole pot.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Jenise wrote:What about Turkish style coffees? I don't like sugar in my coffee at all, but that thick sweet sludge that is the turkish style of coffee is quite good. The first time I had that, I was in Damascus and on crutches from a pre-trip injury. A group of us was going into up some building that had a million stairs, so I begged off and sat on a bench near a garden of many raised beds. Then I heard "Pssst! Pssst!" I turned around and within a short fence in one of the raised beds sat a robed, bearded old man in front of this little brazier, which had a lit fire in it. A small tin pot gurgled on top and he patted a sitting pillow next to his and motioned for me to join him. I did. And that's where I had my first Turkish coffee, served in a tall, small diameter glass. If you'd given me that here I'd have probably spit it out as it's so different from what I like. But there, at the invitation of a kind stranger who dared ignore our differences to show a wounded foreigner some hospitality? I loved it, and have loved it ever since.

Turkish coffee is traditionally served after boiling three times. Cardamom is added after the last boil and gives the coffee a distinct flavor. I too love good Turkish when I can find it or when I take the time to make it at home. THe pot is a Cezve which is a metal pot where the base is larger than the top. It has a handle and a pouring spout.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Well I wouldn't buy flavoured coffees any more - rarely is there any subtlety and some of them are quite nauseaous.

However your experience and idea to experiment seems fair. At least you know what goes into it and also how much.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I avoid the flavored coffees one can buy in stores like the plague. They're invariably horribly over-done for my taste, even when the flavor might otherwise be at least somewhat compatible with coffee. Like many of you, though, I like a little cinnamon stick and /or cardamom in the brew basket once in a while..

Ditto.

I found the fennel seed thing interesting though - I may try that.

FWIW, I keep an old grinder just for doing spices so as to avoid unintended coffee flavouring!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:38 am

Flavored coffee is for people who don't like coffee.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Reporting Back

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:15 am

This morning I made a pot of coffee, adding a pinch (about 10-12) of fennel seeds to the French roast beans and grinding them together for a 10-cup pot of drip coffee. As I'm sipping it right now it still tastes like French roast, but with just a hint of licorice. Pretty good cup of coffee. I may try it in my espresso maker one of these days.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:50 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Flavored coffee is for people who don't like coffee.

'Oaked wine is for people that don't like wine.'

I assume that you also eschew artificial flavourings such as that imparted by oak barrels, or chips, in your wines, Jeff? :mrgreen:

Truly, though, they are both 'adulterants', albeit with a long history and therefor high perceived acceptability.

I suppose that if you push it, sugar and/or milk are adulterants as well; I would certainly agree with that statement when it comes to certain Chinese teas....

I'm just trying to point out that it may not be quite as cut and dried as your statement makes it seem.

PS - just added some fennel seeds to the matutinal caffeine hit. Will report back. Am using SWMBO as experimental animal - we'll see if she notices and what she thinks (hope I'm not violating any international protocols here)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:18 am

Then General Foods International flavored "coffees" really rock. Mmmm, mmmm. What's your fave? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:45 am

Bill Spohn wrote:

I assume that you also eschew artificial flavourings such as that imparted by oak barrels, or chips, in your wines, Jeff? :mrgreen:

Truly, though, they are both 'adulterants', albeit with a long history and therefor high perceived acceptability.

I suppose that if you push it, sugar and/or milk are adulterants as well; I would certainly agree with that statement when it comes to certain Chinese teas....

I'm just trying to point out that it may not be quite as cut and dried as your statement makes it seem.

PS - just added some fennel seeds to the matutinal caffeine hit. Will report back. Am using SWMBO as experimental animal - we'll see if she notices and what she thinks (hope I'm not violating any international protocols here)

PPS - she immediately identified the spice and said she prefers cardamom. I'm impressed
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:31 am

Bill Spohn wrote:

As a matter of fact, I do.

I'm very good at cut and dried. :D

Jeff
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:55 pm

When it comes to flavored coffees, I am in the Denis Leary camp.
Cheers!
Mike