Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Corn tortillas falling apart

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Corn tortillas falling apart

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:14 pm

I am using Mission brand corn tortillas, white and yellow which come from Texas. Lately, no matter how I prepare them, fry, steam or oven heat, they fall apart with my tacos, fijitas, etc. I use the same brand of flour torts and they are fine. Are they using less corn and substituting another ingredient? What brand of corn tortillas do you have success with?
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Re: Corn tortillas falling apart

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:32 pm

If they are coming apart they are not fresh. I make mine so I cannot tell you brands.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Mission is the brand I can find in the stores I frequent, but I bet I'd probably find others if I went to a Mexican market. I have the same problem. They''re not as bad when the package is first opened, but they still split badly. Wiping them with grease before you put them in the oven to heat helps slightly, but not really enough to justify the effort for me.

If I used tortillas more often I'd probably be more energetic about looking for a solution. As it is, I just make them into fork food.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:28 am

Mike's exactly right. With time in the package, they lose their integrity. Stores frequently don't understand that (or pretend not to) since there's no visible difference, so old tortillas aren't removed when new tortillas are delivered. Search the bottoms of the stack for the fresher packages.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:47 am

Frying them in hot oil (first flat, then turning over to taco shape) usually takes care of that. Is your oil hot enough? Are you draining on paper towels?

Richard
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 pm

As the others have noted, Karen, a corn tortilla that falls apart is an old one. Ideally, you should get ones that were made that day and aren't refrigerated. If you have a Mexican grocery in your area, they should have them.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:59 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:Frying them in hot oil (first flat, then turning over to taco shape) usually takes care of that. Is your oil hot enough? Are you draining on paper towels?

Richard

That is what I do Richard. I've been making tacos for for my family for 45 years and occasionally had one fall apart but this is getting ridiculous. I used to buy a local brand called Cantenca, but cannot find them in the stores anymore. Think I will look for a Mexican market.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:22 am

Something more sinister than lack of freshness may be at play here. With the skyrocketing price of corn, some producers may be cutting corners on ingredients.
I would try another brand.
I'm just speculating here, so hopefully, the owners of your tortilla company will not bring suit......
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:25 pm

John, I am suspecting the same as you....they are not using as much corn. The packages do not list a telephone so I need to track them down and get a phone call to them. I did track down the Canteca brand and found out which stores have it in Redding. They are a local company and make a fine product.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Karen,

I don't know then..maybe Mission has just gotten to be too large. At the point where quality is beginning to be sacrificed in favor of quantity and production schedules. And lesser quality ingredients.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:53 am

Karen, I can't remember if you have a Trader Joe's in your 'hood, but if you do their tortillas are excellent and reliable. They have a more standard looking thin yellow corn tortilla, and a thicker "Hand Made" style that are absolutely superb just heated in the microwave. They stand up to any filling, no matter how wet. I used them just last night, in fact, for tequila-soaked shrimp tacos.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, I can't remember if you have a Trader Joe's in your 'hood, but if you do their tortillas are excellent and reliable. They have a more standard looking thin yellow corn tortilla, and a thicker "Hand Made" style that are absolutely superb just heated in the microwave. They stand up to any filling, no matter how wet. I used them just last night, in fact, for tequila-soaked shrimp tacos.

Our TJ's is being built and will be open in October. But we go to the one in Chico, just 70 minutes away. Are these tacos in the bread section? I will try the Hand Made style next time we get to Chico. Thanks for the information.