Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lucques' "Messy Mustard Chicken"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

RCP: Lucques' "Messy Mustard Chicken"

by TraciM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:36 am

Another favorite from the old board (Jenise---I don't think it's in the current archives).

The first time I had this chicken was during a S. California visit to see Jenise and Bob. This dish has been a staple since. I usually use chicken parts, marinate as long as I can, bake, then do a quick broil at the end to crisp the skin. It also holds pretty well at room temp if needed. This was my main entree last Sunday, and I needed the oven to cook Patchen's Crispy Garlickly Potatoes. So I cooked the chicken, set it aside while I roasted the potatoes, then did a quick broil while set everything else up. Now that I think about it, my meal was a whole FLDG recipe-based dinner!

Topic: RC: Lucques\' \"Messy Mustard Chicken\"
Author: Jenise
Date: 20030402110811
This recipe from Lucques\' chef/proprietor Suzanne Goin appeared in one of those can-you-get-the-recipe-for-me columns somewhere. Lucques is widely thought to be one of the very best restaurants in L.A. I had an incredible dinner there once....

Anyway, I made this on Sunday, and my guest of honor (Traci!) requested it, so here is my adaption.

1 3-4 pound chicken, cut in half
1/2 c dijon mustard
1 T olive oil
2 T white vermouth
1-2 T chopped fresh tarragon
1 egg

Mix the marinade and rub onto the surface of the chicken, being careful to push some under the skin for the fullest possible flavor. Marinate 8 hours or overnight. Grill skin side down (this is where it makes the big mess) for ten minutes until well-marked, then turn chicken, reduce heat and grill skin side up for 20-25 minutes or until done.

Since I was doing three 5 lb birds for about 15 adults, I tripled the recipe, cut the chicken into serving-size pieces (I\'d rather leave them in halves under other circumstances, though) and broiled them indoors for approximately 30 minutes.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: RCP: Lucques' "Messy Mustard Chicken"

by John F » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:27 am

Traci

A couple of question:

11) is the egg part of the marinade?
2) so you baked this (vs. the grilling that Jenise describes)? Any import to skin side up or down then in the beginning?
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:04 am

John F wrote:Traci

A couple of question:

11) is the egg part of the marinade?
2) so you baked this (vs. the grilling that Jenise describes)? Any import to skin side up or down then in the beginning?

John..

The egg is part of the marinade. It's does something special to the crust (of the mixture) when cooked. I put all the pieces skin side up on a foil-lined baking sheet and leave them that way. Super easy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:25 am

Oh, F word!!!

About 45 minutes ago, I woke up to the thawed chicken wings I'd gotten out of the freezer last night and thought, huh, how shall I marinate these. If I'd seen this post, all would be different. In fact, I can always go rinse the other off. Hmmmm!

Do you know that I made this recipe just twice all those years ago (can you believe so much time has passed and how our lives have changed?) and then completely forgot about it? How dumb is that, it was great!

Off to rinse some chicken....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, F word!!!

About 45 minutes ago, I woke up to the thawed chicken wings I'd gotten out of the freezer last night and thought, huh, how shall I marinate these. If I'd seen this post, all would be different. In fact, I can always go rinse the other off. Hmmmm!

Do you know that I made this recipe just twice all those years ago (can you believe so much time has passed and how our lives have changed?) and then completely forgot about it? How dumb is that, it was great!

Off to rinse some chicken....

Too much time has passed! I can't believe you've only made this a couple of times. I even send the marinating chicken up to the winery with Tony. Makes a terrific lunch for all the guys!

You know what else you could do with those chicken wings? How 'bout the wine-herb-apple oven baked chicken. That's a keeper, too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:17 pm

TraciM wrote:You know what else you could do with those chicken wings? How 'bout the wine-herb-apple oven baked chicken. That's a keeper, too!

That's one of my favorite chicken preps and we have those several times a year which is why the messy mustard chicken makes so much sense. It's going to be a warm summery night and we'll probably eat out on the beach side of the house. Which is beautiful. I can't believe the one time you were here was the one time in the five years I've lived here that we had three straight days of fog. I'm not sure you ever saw the water, even though it's only a few feet away.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:52 pm

TraciM wrote:Topic: RC: Lucques\' \"Messy Mustard Chicken\"
This recipe from Lucques\' chef/proprietor Suzanne Goin appeared in one of those can-you-get-the-recipe-for-me columns somewhere. Lucques is widely thought to be one of the very best restaurants in L.A. I had an incredible dinner there once....

Anyway, I made this on Sunday, and my guest of honor (Traci!) requested it, so here is my adaption.

1/2 c dijon mustard
1 T olive oil
2 T white vermouth
1 egg

Mix the marinade and rub onto the surface of the chicken, being careful to push some under the skin for the fullest possible flavor. Marinate 8 hours or overnight. Grill skin side down (this is where it makes the big mess) for ten minutes until well-marked, then turn chicken, reduce heat and grill skin side up for 20-25 minutes or until done.

Since I was doing three 5 lb birds for about 15 adults, I tripled the recipe, cut the chicken into serving-size pieces (I\'d rather leave them in halves under other circumstances, though) and broiled them indoors for approximately 30 minutes.

Traci, do you remember the temperature you cooked the chicken? I am thinking this would probably lend itself to grilling over charcoal, and am guessing at somewhere around 400 degrees. It sounds delicious and will give flavor to the breast meat. Thanks for posting it
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:34 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:

1/2 c dijon mustard
1 T olive oil
2 T white vermouth
1 egg

Traci, do you remember the temperature you cooked the chicken? I am thinking this would probably lend itself to grilling over charcoal, and am guessing at somewhere around 400 degrees. It sounds delicious and will give flavor to the breast meat. Thanks for posting it

Not Traci, but though she and I do them in the oven the instructions are actually written for a true grill which you'll find when you read the details. You're good to go!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Not Traci, but though she and I do them in the oven the instructions are actually written for a true grill which you'll find when you read the details. You're good to go!

Thanks Jenise, I will "wing" it from here on. the recipe sounds easy, and good.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:19 pm

OK, so this chicken recipe had me drooling all day. I got home early and mixed up the marinade and matched it up with some chicken quarters. Only got about 3 hours marinade time but it worked out alright. Put them on the Big Green Egg indirect on a raised grid at 350 dome temp.
Cooked them 90 minutes and threw some sweet corn downstairs with 40 minutes to go.
Have to say it was really good!
I like finding unique ways to prepare chicken, here is one of my creations. -RP
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:08 am

Bob Henrick wrote:

1/2 c dijon mustard
1 T olive oil
2 T white vermouth
1 egg

Bob--I cook them anywhere between 350 and 400. So, you're right on. Don't forget the quick broil at the end!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:08 am

Randy P wrote:OK, so this chicken recipe had me drooling all day. I got home early and mixed up the marinade and matched it up with some chicken quarters. Only got about 3 hours marinade time but it worked out alright. Put them on the Big Green Egg indirect on a raised grid at 350 dome temp.
Cooked them 90 minutes and threw some sweet corn downstairs with 40 minutes to go.
Have to say it was really good!
I like finding unique ways to prepare chicken, here is one of my creations. -RP
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

Randy----The chicken looks great!!!