Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Reduced fat cooking: Bangers and Mash Lite

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Reduced fat cooking: Bangers and Mash Lite

by Jenise » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:50 pm

My husband never ceases to amaze me. Yesterday afternoon I realized I'd had some fresh turkey brats in the fridge that I had better cook or else, and decided to turn them into a bean soup with the Orca beans my friend Anne brought me. Dinner had already been announced as steamed homemade chinese pork and shrimp dumplings on sauteed chard and choy. This is one of few recurring meals we have, and one of Bob's favorites. But he looked dismayed when I said the sausage might end up in a soup and asked what else could I do with it if we didn't have the dumplings? "Bangers and mash," I offered, certain he would refuse. He's never had that dish in his life, and he doesn't care much for sausage period--an issue since I love it. He thinks it's merely okay breakfast food and what you eat if you can't get bacon, and mashed potatoes are for Thanksgiving. He has very compartmentalized food reflexes. "That sounds great!", he said.

Well knock me over with a feather.

It's a little out of focus, but here's the dish I served him:
DSC03249.JPG

The brats came from an amazing little store that's about two minutes over the Canadian border that sells nothing but turkey products, all of which they make fresh daily in house. I stopped there on the advice of a friend with whom I'd been discussing my desire to reduce the fat content in my cooking. I was amazed to find a kielbasa that's really really good and needs make no apologies to the pork original, and a turkey version of just about everything else deli-meat. They also have a lot of British and American style pies and sausage rolls ready to eat, plus the bird itself in an array of fresh forms that you can
cook yourself.

The mashed potatoes were made with 2% milk and Smart Balance butter substitute. A bit of seasoning salt in place of regular salt helped enrich the flavor, and I topped the potatoes with diced sweet vidalia onions, chopped chives and parsley in oil and vinegar, a mixture that my unsophisticated, farm-girl Grammy used to serve sans-herbs with any mashed or roasted potato. It was in fact the only condiment in her repertoire. As a child I hated it because I hated onions, but looking back now I appreciate that Grammy understood the zing that acidity brings to food, and of course in my version the fresh herbs add class, color and complexity.

Bob LOVED it. So much so that he called from work this morning to ask if I had the ingredients to make it again tonight. "It's my new favorite comfort food," he announced. I loved it too. The sausage had an excellent flavor and texture. (Okay, one glitch: during cooking the skin kind of rolled up like a bad condom so I had to remove it, but the meat browned beautifully without it.) I have to say that while an expert foodie would have noticed the lack of luxury in the creamless/butterless mashed potatoes, the distraction of that delicious fresh onion and herb topping might have kept them at bay long enough to forget to look. And anyone else would never have guessed they were eating a deliberately low fat meal. With it's light to medium body and fresh fruit nose, a chilled Brun Beaujulais was the perfect wine partner.

Anyone else making an effort to cut back? What are some of your favorite successes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Reduced fat cooking: Bangers and Mash Lite

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 pm

I've been trying to cut back my entire adult life, with varying success. We use 1% milk, fat-free yogurt, reduced fat cheeses (when we can find any that's worth eating), steam or broil a lot of foods to reduce the fat, and other tactics like that. As Gail is a member of Weight Watchers, I try to follow the program as well, and have gotten good at mentally calculating points when putting together a dish.

I like rice, and often cook it with herbs or dried veggies (from Whole Foods), and a little olive oil. This flavors it very well for use as a side with chicken or pork loin chops (cooked with a minimum of oil). I do use butter on some items, like a baked sweet potato, or a toasted bagel, but only enough to flavor the dish, at most a tablespoon or less. Cream does not enter the house, and it has been so long since I've had a real alfredo sauce that I almost don't remember what it tastes like, but we have entire meals sometimes that have no more than a hint of fats of any kind, yet were full of flavor, thanks to the herbs and spices used.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:15 am

Turkey sausage is not real food.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:27 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:I've been trying to cut back my entire adult life, with varying success. We use 1% milk, fat-free yogurt, reduced fat cheeses (when we can find any that's worth eating), steam or broil a lot of foods to reduce the fat, and other tactics like that. As Gail is a member of Weight Watchers, I try to follow the program as well, and have gotten good at mentally calculating points when putting together a dish.

I like rice, and often cook it with herbs or dried veggies (from Whole Foods), and a little olive oil. This flavors it very well for use as a side with chicken or pork loin chops (cooked with a minimum of oil). I do use butter on some items, like a baked sweet potato, or a toasted bagel, but only enough to flavor the dish, at most a tablespoon or less. Cream does not enter the house, and it has been so long since I've had a real alfredo sauce that I almost don't remember what it tastes like, but we have entire meals sometimes that have no more than a hint of fats of any kind, yet were full of flavor, thanks to the herbs and spices used.

My only question would be - and I ask everyone here - do you think this caving in to slightly unreal/skewed foods on the advice of doctors with no nutritional training, diet alteration, buying into that fat reduction etc. is the answer? The cholesterol thing is probably total BS. I think the one thing we had right was the whole, natural foods we ate - fat, protein, carbs etc., the whole deal - for several thousand years. The *only* reason we are living longer now is disease control. Our diet in in the toilet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:24 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Turkey sausage is not real food.

Sure it is. Chop, grind and season whatever meat is available to you. Put it in a tube. You've made sausage.

Now make the same remark about turkey bacon, and we'll have agreement.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:14 am

Jenise,

Today I made Indian brinjal (eggplant) pickle using a recipe I found here. Instead of deepfrying the eggplant, I tossed them in tumeric and salt, sprayed them with canola oil, and baked them until they were quite dry. The result isn't nearly as decadent as the original, but it was still very nice indeed, used less than half the oil and made an extra jar of pickle. I don't think it will last as long, as the eggplant still had more water than when it's deepfried, but it certainly is a healthier alternative.

Our general attitude to eating healthier, which I've mentioned before, is to get as far down the production ladder as possible. So we cook as much as we can from scratch, and we're constantly adding to the repertoire - last year we started baking our own breads and making yoghurt, this year we've added homemade vanilla extract, homemade pastry (the frozen stuff is particularly bad for you, I think), our own icecream (thanks Martin!) and now our own preserves.

A couple of suggestions re mash - I've read that it can be very nice mashed with chicken stock, and also that cooking some peeled garlic with the potatoes (and then mashing them together) is also very nice.

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:29 am

Jenise wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Turkey sausage is not real food.

Sure it is. Chop, grind and season whatever meat is available to you. Put it in a tube. You've made sausage.

Now make the same remark about turkey bacon, however, and we'll have agreement.

You've made cardboard in a tube - unless you add a considerable quantity of fat.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Jenise, I appreciate your low-fat recipe and I hope you keep them coming.

Those of us who choose to eat healthier are not being forced to do so at gunpoint. There are many considerations, besides being able to get your ass through the kitchen door, that persuade us not to eat thoughtlessly. Besides the obvious (heart trouble, atherosclerosis, type II diabetes) there are many different health considerations the can make people re-think the way that they eat.

I recently had a Kielbasa revelation. I had glanced at the label and shrugged, "one serving 200 calories" -- OK that is about 4 weight watcher points, no reason to be too careful. Then last week I read it more carefully. A serving is TWO OUNCES and the whole one pound Kielbasa is 1600 calories, or 32 WW points. Good grief. But I love the flavor so I am finding ways to enjoy just a little, like cutting it small and stirring with broccoli florets and a bit of pasta and peperoncini, a classic recipe from Puglia. And I think the turkey stuff tastes reasonably OK, Hillshire Farms seems to disguise the turkey pretty well.

In my particular case I've lost more than 25 pounds since October, and my knees have stopped hurting. After an MRI I was basically told that if I put the weight back on I will need an operation. Things are messed up inside my knees but if it isn't hurting I can leave it alone. A week or 2 ago I quit taking daily Prilosec, and my sleep apnea is a lot better. I have happy conversations now with my doctor, all the blood values are moving in the right direction. I can ride my bicycle up a hill without getting winded and having to get off and walk. AND my ass fits through the door, as well...

Frank
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Chef, all i know for certain is that my efforts to cut much of the fats, etc out of my diet have helped me drop over 50 pounds of excess weight, I breathe easier, I feel better, I have more energy, and it's easier to find clothing that fits. I am from a family with a history of heart disease and diabetes, and my dietary changes have in all likelihood extended my life a year or three, and that makes it worthwhile. That does not mean that I can't splurge on a fattening dish occasionally, but I can offset the indulgences by thoughtful eating the rest of the time.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Frank and Robert, I just have to say WOW! Good for you!! :D
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Chef, all i know for certain is that my efforts to cut much of the fats, etc out of my diet have helped me drop over 50 pounds of excess weight, I breathe easier, I feel better, I have more energy, and it's easier to find clothing that fits. I am from a family with a history of heart disease and diabetes, and my dietary changes have in all likelihood extended my life a year or three, and that makes it worthwhile. That does not mean that I can't splurge on a fattening dish occasionally, but I can offset the indulgences by thoughtful eating the rest of the time.

Oh, I have no problem with folks changing their diet to lose weight.

I question the diet that put them in that position in the first place. I don't think one can get terribly overweight eating all fresh foods with a strong emphasis on fresh vegetables and fruits. Any meats or fowl or seafood in reasonable portions. Starches as side dishes. What is quaintly called a balanced diet.

I do believe that the drugs a lot of folks take nowadays - prescribed - really screw up the metabolism. I see this more and more in this society.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Jenise, I appreciate your low-fat recipe and I hope you keep them coming.

Those of us who choose to eat healthier are not being forced to do so at gunpoint. There are many considerations, besides being able to get your ass through the kitchen door, that persuade us not to eat thoughtlessly. Besides the obvious (heart trouble, atherosclerosis, type II diabetes) there are many different health considerations the can make people re-think the way that they eat.

I recently had a Kielbasa revelation. I had glanced at the label and shrugged, "one serving 200 calories" -- OK that is about 4 weight watcher points, no reason to be too careful. Then last week I read it more carefully. A serving is TWO OUNCES and the whole one pound Kielbasa is 1600 calories, or 32 WW points. Good grief. But I love the flavor so I am finding ways to enjoy just a little, like cutting it small and stirring with broccoli florets and a bit of pasta and peperoncini, a classic recipe from Puglia. And I think the turkey stuff tastes reasonably OK, Hillshire Farms seems to disguise the turkey pretty well.

In my particular case I've lost more than 25 pounds since October, and my knees have stopped hurting. After an MRI I was basically told that if I put the weight back on I will need an operation. Things are messed up inside my knees but if it isn't hurting I can leave it alone. A week or 2 ago I quit taking daily Prilosec, and my sleep apnea is a lot better. I have happy conversations now with my doctor, all the blood values are moving in the right direction. I can ride my bicycle up a hill without getting winded and having to get off and walk. AND my ass fits through the door, as well...

Frank

And I appreciate your vote of confidence. Not everybody is lucky enough to have the apparently magical metabolism of Joseph that allows him to not have to worry about these things. But most of us do.

Re turkey products and substitute products in general, what was revelatory for me/us about this meal was half how unapologetically good it was, and half the extent to which it overcame several biases against dietary substitutes. For the most part, the subs just aren't worth it. The flavor and texture of the real thing is typically irreplaceable, and the loss of both results in something palpably unacceptable. My typical reaction to the need to reduce fat then has been to eat smaller portions of fatty foods or eat those dishes far less often. But manufactured substitutes like turkey bacon and Jimmy Dean Lite Sausage or tofu dyed and shaped like a hot dog, those are unacceptable.

And so it was that we were at a friend's house watching Tiger and Marco fight it out, and there was this tray of cheese and some kind of pale garlicky sausage full of black peppercorns. I was all over that sausage--great flavor, a good blend of coarse and fine, with an overall silky texture. Fabulous stuff. No doubt in my mind at all that I was eating pork. So I couldn't believe my ears when Anne told me it came from that turkey store, which I drive past 2 or 3 times a month and never, ever, have been tempted to stop at. The 'kielbasa' isn't just "pretty good for turkey", it's quite good period. It's what I didn't think was possible. And so were these 'brats'.

Congratulations on your weight loss, Frank.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, one glitch: during cooking the skin kind of rolled up like a bad condom so I had to remove it, but the meat browned beautifully without it.

LOL, Jenise. :D

Is your friend Anne the one that lives in Canada and posted on the old FLDG? I always liked her.

Gotta watch out for some of those sausages that sound healthy because they are made with Turkey though. The filler will often make even a chicken or turkey sausage almost as unhealthy as a regular sausage.

While I enjoy reading about the culinary decadence on this board, it is refreshing to see a post geared toward the more health-minded people.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.