Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So....I'm Planning This Party...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

So....I'm Planning This Party...

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:38 am

A very dear friend and his wife are taking a trip to Alaska to celebrate his 65th birthday. The ship leaves from Seattle so they will spend the night here before sailing -- returning on his actual birthday to stay a few more days with us (first weekend in August). Since they will have been away at sea for almost 2 weeks, I thought we would have dinner in to celebrate. But I am stumped about what to prepare. I will tell you though, I plan to make this a white-tie, candle light affair (using all the good stuff) for the four of us.

I'm thinking about black peppercorn crusted prime rib with green peppercorn/brandy (beef demi glace, cream reduction) sauce. But that's where the creative juices have stopped flowing. I expect I will have garden ripe tomatoes and basil by then to make a beautiful garden salad medley. But, what for...

A starter/appetizer
An alternate main dish (seafood or poultry)
Side starch
Side vegetable
Desserts (one will be a fruit and cheese platter with dried fruits, pears and nuts and my blackberry port -- but I need another)

Any thoughts? I welcome all suggestions, but would prefer to not get too complicated in either preparations or flavors. Thanks for your help.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: So....I'm Planning This Party...

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:00 am

Jo Ann, I assumed that you meant to post this in The Kitchen rather than Friends & Fun, so I took the liberty of moving it for you ...
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:12 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I'm thinking about black peppercorn crusted prime rib with green peppercorn/brandy (beef demi glace, cream reduction) sauce. But that's where the creative juices have stopped flowing. I expect I will have garden ripe tomatoes and basil by then to make a beautiful garden salad medley. But, what for...

A starter/appetizer
An alternate main dish (seafood or poultry)
Side starch
Side vegetable
Desserts (one will be a fruit and cheese platter with dried fruits, pears and nuts and my blackberry port -- but I need another)

Jo, this is just a thought, but I think if I wanted to offer an alternate main dish, I would go with bird rather than fish, and especially not offer salmon. I am thinking that your friends will take advantage of eating fresh salmon while in Alaska. As I said, it is just a thought. I suppose it wouldn't lend itself to "black tie" but that chicken that Randy P posted on in the Kitchen Forum sure looks good. (see Messy Mustard Chicken thread)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:14 pm

If you don't mind adding something rich and more winter-y than summer-y, a savory bread pudding is great with the beef and would also go with a bird. Maybe something with mushrooms?

On the dessert side, creme brulee is always nice, and easy in the sense that most of the prep can happen well ahead of time.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:25 pm

For the side veggie, how about fresh asparagus. It goes well with just about anything, and you have a number of prep options.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Argh! I wrote this long long response, sent it, and somehow it had a head-on collision with Linda's post and died.

I shall try to recreate it.

Great party plan, great main course idea. First thought: get the main course figured out, then branch out from there. For white tie, I would presume you're serving the food plated from the kitchen? If so, prime rib sits very large on the plate. A traditional three-plop requires too much real estate, so you your sides should be small and flexibly shaped, or be something that can be stacked in some way, almost doing a dual job as side dish AND garnish. Small yorkshire puddings made in cupcake tins would be totally up to that task. And they're very attractive. They are, however, somewhat time dependent and a last-minute item--they're so wonderful when they're hot out of the oven, and my experience is they don't hold all that well (the initial crunch goes fast). Still, if you liked that idea, a great vegetable side dish would be barely-wilted baby spinach tossed with pan-fried sliced garlic (which can be done ahead). Something similar but with no last-minute work would be a potato gratin made early in the day, cooled and cut into 2" squares, then reheated for service. Tasty, not too big or filling, and in fact the square of potato could be nested in the spinach which would be a nice impact and avoid crowding the plate. Similarly, a small raft of Linda's asparagus, three spears (not the pencil thin ones) cut in short, 5" lengths. I wonder if there would still be fresh Washington asparagus around by then?

About alternative main courses, I agree with Bob that your guests might be fished out. Chicken's tough for white tie unless you do a stuffed chicken breast. Pheasant's hard to get. Seared duck breast would, however, be a great choice--it will hold well and plate beautifully with the green peppercorn sauce you're serving with the beef.

Since you've got the tomato thing going on (great!) for a salad, I'd go seafood for the first course. With any luck in August it will still be warm, so a cool and classy lobster (previously cooked) or scallop (raw) and fennel cocktail (with orange segments and strips of lime zest?) would be pretty awesome, maybe even served up in a martini glass. Excellent and easy for pairing wines with, too.

Dessert--my weakest area. But for this kind of dinner, I kind of think not too rich. And I'm thinking fresh Washington fruit, and I'm thinking of something like a tart that would enhance the entire meal by being placed in eye view of your guests all throughout the meal, and easily served from the table at the appropriate time. Like an apple, plum, or pear tart.

OH JEEZ. Traci and I once made together a plum tart with a chocolate pastry crust. It was OFS, and I'd completely forgotten about it. Got to go russle up that recipe.

Anyway, just some ideas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Jo Ann - the day before we mat for dinner at Bucko's, at Bucko's recommendation, my boys and I went to Anthon'y's in Olympia and had the most wonderful Dungeoness crab cakes. I don't know a recipe, but they were almost all crab meat with very little else, browned in butter. They would make a great appetizer accompanied by a nice lighter style bubbly, such as a brut prosecco or maybe a dry Riesling.

EDIT: You could do that walnut fig tart that you brought to Bucko's also.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11621&p=94667
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Sounds like a wonderful night, Jo Ann.

Starters:

Wild mushroom strudel, served cut in small squares. (this could also be a side starch) *
Or maybe miniature quiches with a wild mushroom sauce topping them.

Side starch:

Lemon grain pilaf
Potato and onion cakes with pepper, rosemary, and balsamic. They are baked in ramekins or muffin tins and unmolded onto the plate. May be made ahead then just reheated.*
Roasted corn flan*

Side vegetable:

Asparagus is always good
Roasted green beans and red peppers

Dessert:

Lemon-thyme ice *
Individual cream tarts with fresh berries
Almond pound cake with limoncello, topped with berries*
Apricot-cherry tart*
Trifle with pears and dried cherries*

*Recipe available
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:38 pm

Thx for helping out, guys. This is beginning to come together for me. I don't know why I spaced on the desserts. I must have at least 5 staple tarts that I fix all the time. Totally forgot about the walnut fig one, Howie. But, I usually do that one as more a fall/winter dessert. It will either be apple (with either pastry cream or marzipan) or lemon sour cream tart for dessert. I think the savory bread pudding wins in the starch category. I remember one somewhere in my arsinal with 3 mushrooms and 4 cheeses. The crabcakes totally got my attention. So, that will definitely be part of my first course. Still not sure about the vegetables. I like asparagus, and they are beautiful on the plate. But, for some reason, they don't rock my world for this event. I'll have to think more on that.

Keep the ideas coming. Just because I said I've decided, doesn't mean I won't change my mind 1,000 times between now and then. So far, most of the things I've chosen can be prepared ahead. That is almost a must. You see, this is just the beginning of the celebration. The next day I plan to have an outside paella party (I have one of those pans that I can cook over an open pit to serve 20-25) to introduce them to family and friends. So, that is where I will need to spend my energy, time and attention. Wish me luck!! :roll:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:19 am

Side dish: Grilled asparagus wrapped in a small Montasio cheese frico drizzled with 30 year balsamic. 3 or 4 small spears per serving. This can be made ahead and placed in a warming oven, drizzled at the last minute upon service.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:46 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:Side dish: Grilled asparagus wrapped in a small Montasio cheese frico drizzled with 30 year balsamic. 3 or 4 small spears per serving. This can be made ahead and placed in a warming oven, drizzled at the last minute upon service.

And where are you buying real Montasio cheese, sir?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 pm

HI, Mike
Can you post your technique for wrapping a semi-hard cheese? I've not seen that for anything other than Kraft's American Singles.

I like your idea for the first course, Jenise. Does anyone have a great recipe for ceviche? I had absolutely the best trio of ceviches at Fresca in San Francisco last year. You can see their menu here to see the exciting list of cheviches they offer (just in case you have such a recipe). If you've not been to this restaurant, I highly recommend it -- Nouveau Peruvian cuisine. Again, thx for your help.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:45 pm

I love flans and timbales for early courses. If asparagus doesn't appeal to you, some chopped braised greens (collard, mustard...) and onion, bound with some cheese (I use queso fresco), pine nuts, raisins, and spices, all stuffed into a timbale mold or ramekin and steamed, then turned out and drizzled with a balsamic reduction, makes an attractive and tasty alternative. There's a lot of variation possible here, but it gives you a chance to have some very traditional ingredients and still get to play with molds and squirt bottles. It's easy to make a very nice presentation this way.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:53 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I love flans and timbales for early courses. If asparagus doesn't appeal to you, some chopped braised greens (collard, mustard...) and onion, bound with some cheese (I use queso fresco), pine nuts, raisins, and spices, all stuffed into a timbale mold or ramekin and steamed, then turned out and drizzled with a balsamic reduction, makes an attractive and tasty alternative. There's a lot of variation possible here, but it gives you a chance to have some very traditional ingredients and still get to play with molds and squirt bottles. It's easy to make a very nice presentation this way.

Okay, Stuart. I'm on to you with this one. I feel a kale, red chard, spinach combination (onions and garlic, of course) coming together here. I too like queso fresco -- never thought about using it in this way. Hmmmmmmm. I'm thinking a little dill and perhaps a pinch of paprika and/or cayenne. But, this seems very pedestrian to me. Any other wow flavors coming through for any of you?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Dessert: I made, on the fly, a chocolate tiramisu for last nights class. It slayed every single student and staff member. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will pass it along. It may be a little heavier than you are looking for though.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Robert J. wrote:Dessert: I made, on the fly, a chocolate tiramisu for last nights class. It slayed every single student and staff member. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will pass it along. It may be a little heavier than you are looking for though.

rwj

I'm in. PM me the recipe. It can be prepared a day ahead, right?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:07 pm

On the way. You can make it a day ahead. Just let it temper a little before you serve it.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:But, this seems very pedestrian to me. Any other wow flavors coming through for any of you?

Excuse me: You're serving roast beef, the squarest of the square, the ultimate in 'traditional' (with every letter in hand-trimmed curlicues and pressed by Poor Richard himself) and you're worried about making a timbale that pops?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:But, this seems very pedestrian to me. Any other wow flavors coming through for any of you?

Excuse me: You're serving roast beef, the squarest of the square, the ultimate in 'traditional' (with every letter in hand-trimmed curlicues and pressed by Poor Richard himself) and you're worried about making a timbale that pops?

Yes!
And, you haven't tasted MY prime rib. Trust me on this!!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Yes!
And, you haven't tasted MY prime rib. Trust me on this!!

Oh, no fear: I love prime rib (with a glass of port, like they did in the Olde Days)... I just don't worry about the jazz factor when it comes to accompanying it.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:22 pm

I've done it a few different ways: with pine nuts, raisins, and Moroccan spices; with pecans, sage, and a dash of roasted pumpkinseed oil; and of course simple with lots of garlic and some sun-dried tomatoes. Given your background, you might think about some sort of pork flavoring.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I've done it a few different ways: with pine nuts, raisins, and Moroccan spices; with pecans, sage, and a dash of roasted pumpkinseed oil; and of course simple with lots of garlic and some sun-dried tomatoes. Given your background, you might think about some sort of pork flavoring.

Okay. Thx for the inspiration Stuart. The pine nuts and raisins gave me the idea to serve small side ramekins of caponata (rather than butter or olive oil) with the peasant bread. But the sun-dried tomatoes gives me an idea with perhaps a little diced prociutto. But I still need to marry them together with an herb and/or spice. I'll think a little more on that. But, I think I'm on to something (with your help).
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:35 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Oh, no fear: I love prime rib (with a glass of port, like they did in the Olde Days)... I just don't worry about the jazz factor when it comes to accompanying it.

No offense taken. But, somewhere in here my husband has to be satisfied. The prime rib gets him every time -- and it's a killer when grilled over oak wood. In addition to the meats though, I do want the sides to stand out on their own. It seems to be coming together. Thx.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:44 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:HI, Mike
Can you post your technique for wrapping a semi-hard cheese? I've not seen that for anything other than Kraft's American Singles.

To make a frico, that allows you to wrap asparagus in cheese, you heat a none stick saute pan (9 inch) and add a smear of EVO. Sprinkle about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of loosely grated montasio cheese in the saute pan. Allow the cheese to melt until the edges brown (watch the heat) then shake the pan to loosen the frico. You can tell when one side is done by lifting the edge. At that time you may either flip and cook the other side or remove to a tray and use that finished hot frico to wrap several pieces of grilled vegetable. Letting it cool a little after the wrap allows the frico to form and stay wrapped. Then drizzle with aged balsamic and you have a treat.
Thanks,
Mike
Next