Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

RCP: Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs

by TraciM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:30 am

Great salad for this time of year..

4 cups water
10 ounces of farro (I think I used about 8 ounces because that what was left from the other recipe!)
salt for the water
1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped chives (I used green onions)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used a combo of balsamic and red wine, just 'cause I think balsamic can be a little heavy at times)
freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup evoo

Combine the water and farro in a sauce pan, add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well, and transfer to a large bowl to cool.

Add the tomatoes, chives, and parsley to the farro.

In a medium bowl, whisk garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper and evoo. Add to salad and toss all together to coat.

This salad a really good staying power. I served it to my crew over the course of a couple days. Super good!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Traci, this is exactly the recipe I make. It is a Gourmet Magazine contribution. I made it this morning to serve with a butterflied, marinated chicken that is going to be grilled tonight. I substitute my fresh garden basil for the parsley. I is very yummy, isn't it?

Oops, I just read your recipe again - mine has fresh corn kernels that have been grilled. It is really lovely with the fresh corn.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:01 pm

Good concept salad that can be improvised. Consider adding any combination of cucumber, white beans, basil leaves, roasted pepper, roasted or grilled chicken, small chunks of ricotta salata, sweet peas, etc.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:57 am

Sounds excellent! Now I must try to find farro. Haven't bought any since I've been up here, yet I know farmers grow and sell it from stands between here and Spokane. Would be a great salad for the Fourth--I've got 50 people coming for dinner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm going to make a version of this for the Fourth, but with barley instead of farro since I don't have the latter. Don't shoot me!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm going to make a version of this for the Fourth, but with barley instead of farro since I don't have the latter. Don't shoot me!

I think barley would be great, too. That reminds me..My girlfriend made a really yummy barley, cilantro and corn salad with a jalapeno-spiked dressing last summer. I need to get that recipe.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:03 pm

TraciM wrote:
Jenise wrote:I'm going to make a version of this for the Fourth, but with barley instead of farro since I don't have the latter. Don't shoot me!

I think barley would be great, too. That reminds me..My girlfriend made a really yummy barley, cilantro and corn salad with a jalapeno-spiked dressing last summer. I need to get that recipe.

Sounds good. I love barley in salad, and I hate to admit that I only discovered its goodness (that way) within the last year. Had never encountered it cold before. Heck, maybe I should make your friend's recipe too, as you'll see in another post it's not like I don't have enough. :)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 pm

How much barley would be needed to make this dish for about 20-25 folks at a July 4th burger & hotdog backyard cookout?
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:How much barley would be needed to make this dish for about 20-25 folks at a July 4th burger & hotdog backyard cookout?

Jenise has extra, Robert. Just stop by and borrow some. :)
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:09 pm

LOL! I saw that, unfortunately, it'd take me til Saturday to drive there for it!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε