Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Apples

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Apples

by Alan Wolfe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:33 am

I usually eat an apple for breakfast, for no other reason than I need something to eat in the morning and I happen to like apples. I admit that I'm not very discriminating, but I do insist that my apples be crisp/crunchy.

Here in the wilds of West Virginia, we don't have access to the specialty stores that more urban/suburban areas have, and so are limited to supermarkets. At a time when the usual supermarket apples (Braeburn, Gala) are declining in quality, I've discovered a new (to me) variety that is very nice.

Jazz, a New Zealand apple that in appearance is similar to Red Delicious but not as dark in color, is very fine. In addition to apple flavors, I can detect what I think are banana, a hint of anise, and a slight hint of pineapple. Purchased at the nearest Kroger supermarket, about 1 1/4 hours away from me. Highly recommended.
no avatar
User

Tim Smith

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:02 pm

Re: Apples

by Tim Smith » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:47 am

I love apples and tend to like the golden delicous. I am also a big fam of Fuji and Jonagold. We used to get apples from Bradshaw Mountain over in western West Va. but they closed down Now we go to Barber's Orchad in Maggie's Valley, NC.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Re: Apples

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm

If you like crisp as your grocer if they can find Honeycrisp or Jonagold. Great flavors, crisp and bright.
Thanks,
Mike