Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Chocolate Galette with Plums and Rosemary

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Chocolate Galette with Plums and Rosemary

by Jenise » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:46 pm

( Traci, remember when we made this?)

This was posted on FLDG classic by Dwight Green, who drops by here from time to time, back in 2002, and he found the recipe in a Food and Wine magazine. Sounds odd, but it's mix of savoury and sweet, decadent and light, and it was a big hit every time I made it until I forgot about it. :) Can't believe I did that. Anyway, it's great, and since it's plum season in my neck of the woods, a good time to have remembered it.

Servings: 8

Ingredients
Pastry
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Filling
1 orange, preferably organic,washed and patted dry
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 pounds red or black plums--halved, pitted and cut into 8 wedges each
2 tablespoons water
Whipped cream, for serving

1. MAKE THE PASTRY: In a food processor, pulse the flour with 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the cocoa and the salt. Add the butter and pulse until the crumbs are the size of small peas. In a small cup, stir the vanilla into 3 tablespoons of ice water, then sprinkle over the mixture and pulse just until the crumbs are moistened. If the crumbs seem very dry, pulse in the remaining 1 tablespoon of ice water. Turn the crumbs out onto a work surface and gather them together; pat the pastry into a disk. Wrap the pastry in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 14-inch round. Transfer the round to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Fold 1 inch of the pastry over onto itself to form a pleated rim and prick the rest of the pastry with a fork. Brush the rim with egg white and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Freeze until firm.

3. Bake the pastry for 20 minutes, or until it's nearly cooked through and dry to the touch.

4. MAKE THE FILLING: Using a vegetable peeler, remove two 3-by-1-inch strips of zest from the orange. Cut the strips into fine julienne with a sharp knife.

5. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over high heat. Stir in the sugar, orange zest, rosemary and vanilla. Add the plums and water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the plums are barely softened, about 5 minutes.

6. Spread the cooked plums and their juices over the pastry and bake for 35 minutes, or until the fruit is tender and the crust is cooked through. Cut the galette into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Chocolate Galette with Plums and Rosemary

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Oh yes, this does sound good!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

Re: RCP: Chocolate Galette with Plums and Rosemary

by TraciM » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:45 am

I totally remember this one! Thanks for reposting. I have some friends coming over next week for dinner, and this will be perfect for dessert!