Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Falafel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

RCP: Falafel

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:58 pm

For Jenise:

Awatif’s Falafel

Several years ago Sam’s wife Awatif shared her Falafel recipe with me.

2 pounds dried peeled fava beans (soak 24 hours in water to cover. Change 2 times)
1 bundle green onions cut into 1” lengths
1 large brown onion diced
8 large cloves of garlic
1 bundle of parsley
1 bundle cilantro
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt

Grind all the above, less spice and salt, through a food grinder such as a Kitchen Aid sausage grinder, small plate. Or use a hand grinder. Food processors should not be used exclusively because the mixture becomes too dense and will no cook properly. If the beans are too hard you may use the food processor to make the pieces smaller but finish them in a grinder. Add the salt and spices. Mix well but do not over mix or the product will become too dense.

Measure batches 2 cups each. For each batch add 1 whole egg and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Form patties and shallow fry or deep fry to a golden brown. Patties should be about 2 inches in diameter and 3/4 in thick. If you can find a falafel mold (difficult to find) use that.

The product can be frozen in batches for later use. Freeze before adding the egg and baking powder.

This recipe yields about 5 batches of product.

Serve with tahini sauce.

Tahini Sauce

½ plus 2 tablespoons Tahini direct from the jar
juice of ½ lemon
½ teaspoon salt
water to make a loose sauce mixture.
Blend in a food processor.

Serve Falafel and Tahini with a mixed salad or in a Pita roll up sandwich.

Sources: Fava Bean http://www.sultansdelight.com
Spices http://www.penzeys.com
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Falafel

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:50 am

YUMMMM. I've never forgotten, nor had the equal, of the first felafel I was ever served, in Cairo. Certainly, the box mixes are awful. This recipe reads like it will get me there. Can't wait to try it, thank you so much for the post. Re your sources, haven't heard of or dealt with Sultan's Delight before, but you'll find almost everybody on this board is a Penzey's customer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 am

Jenise wrote:YUMMMM. I've never forgotten, nor had the equal, of the first felafel I was ever served, in Cairo. Certainly, the box mixes are awful. This recipe reads like it will get me there. Can't wait to try it, thank you so much for the post. Re your sources, haven't heard of or dealt with Sultan's Delight before, but you'll find almost everybody on this board is a Penzey's customer.

I get the feeling that like most winos we all are also foodies ! I have a ton of sources because I have this thing about attempting to make a dish with no substitution. Sometimes it takes me a long time to get a source but enventually I find it and catalog it. Sultans Delight has an interesting list of ingredients. You do know you have a middle eastern store in Bellingham, dont you ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:52 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:
Jenise wrote:YUMMMM. I've never forgotten, nor had the equal, of the first felafel I was ever served, in Cairo. Certainly, the box mixes are awful. This recipe reads like it will get me there. Can't wait to try it, thank you so much for the post. Re your sources, haven't heard of or dealt with Sultan's Delight before, but you'll find almost everybody on this board is a Penzey's customer.

I get the feeling that like most winos we all are also foodies ! I have a ton of sources because I have this thing about attempting to make a dish with no substitution. Sometimes it takes me a long time to get a source but enventually I find it and catalog it. Sultans Delight has an interesting list of ingredients. You do know you have a middle eastern store in Bellingham, dont you ?

Sorry, almost forgot. Sultans is slow. Does not send emails but will ship what ever you order. Should have mentioned that before............old age !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:55 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:

Are you talking about the Lebanese store down in the Sehome area? Yes. Dear ladies run that place. I stop by every now and then and buy an array of weird pickled things. They are also my source of Chateau Musar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:

Are you talking about the Lebanese store down in the Sehome area? Yes. Dear ladies run that place. I stop by every now and then and buy an array of weird pickled things. They are also my source of Chateau Musar.

I dont know areas that well but it is near the college and near a Starbucks. Two sisters run it. Good falafel and if you ask they will make you a bowl of ful, one of my favorite dishes. YOur opinion on the Thai restaurant Basura please.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the recipe post. I am anxious to try it as I love good falafel. One question though - the haba beans [ dried, peeled fava ] that I have used turn to mush very quickly. Is the 24 hour soak too long ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Mike,

Thanks for the recipe post. I am anxious to try it as I love good falafel. One question though - the haba beans [ dried, peeled fava ] that I have used turn to mush very quickly. Is the 24 hour soak too long ?

Those that I receive from Sultans Delight seem to hold up well to the soaking. If yours do not recommend you only soad 4 to 6 hours prior to grinding. Then after you try the recipe let me know the results. With Baba Ghannuj and labney ?? I'am hungry.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:25 am

Yes, I just happen to have an eggplant waiting to be roasted. The labney is a more difficult proposition. I love these foods.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:I dont know areas that well but it is near the college and near a Starbucks. Two sisters run it. Good falafel and if you ask they will make you a bowl of ful, one of my favorite dishes. YOur opinion on the Thai restaurant Basura please.

Not that it's hard to be near a Starbucks :), but the college nails it. Yes, that's Sehome. On 32nd.

Basura: inconsistent. First time I ate there, I was completely delighted. Great room, elegant and tastefully decorated--I love it when ethnic food can be fine dining, too, though I'm also a sucker for good holes in the wall. (What I hate are the antiseptic, white wall mall places that might as well be a donut shop.) Ordered an expert beef dish with bean sprouts and wide rice noodles that hit every button for what I love about Thai food. I've re-ordered it on almost every return visit (probably 8 times), however, and it's different every time, almost never as good as the first. Comparatively bland, lightly colored beef instead of deep brown and crispy, overcooked gloppy noodles, or something. The other foods we order have varied from just-okay to just good, but none have reached the Definitely Reorder status that the beef dish did on our first visit. Other people who aren't as demanding as I am about food have spoken highly of On Rice, which I haven't been to. I think the name annoys me. :)

That aside, my benchmark Thai dish has to be tofu padh thai. LOVE IT. Basura's has been pretty good, but it suffered for comparison to that at a little quonset hut dive in Ferndale called Poor's. Poor is the first name of the woman who owned it and did all the cooking. I loved her food. Unfortunately, my last two visits were 2-3 months apart and both times I got the same window table--with the very same dead flies in the window, just dustier. UGH. Never went back. I've been told that a new better and cleaner Thai restaurant is in the same spot now, but I haven't been to it yet.

The only other Thai place I've been to here was the one in the same complex where Costco is. Dreadfully dull and underseasoned. Dishes tasted ketchuppy: essentially Thai food for people who don't really like Thai food.

So what do think of Basura?
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:28 pm

You've not been to Lemongrass? Next time you're in the area at lunchtime, let's go! They have a mixed menu, some Chinese dishes including Mongolian Beef.

I agree with you on Basura - not too impressed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Chris wrote:You've not been to Lemongrass? Next time you're in the area at lunchtime, let's go! They have a mixed menu, some Chinese dishes including Mongolian Beef.

I agree with you on Basura - not too impressed.

NO, you haven't taken me to Lemongrass yet.

:)

Deal.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:44 am

"So what do think of Basura?"

Some dishes there are 'okay' but most sauces are either too sweet or without much authenticity. Like most restaurant comparisons I look at local Thia food and compare it with Patakin a new place in Pasadena that rocked ! They had squid dishes and pad thai and more that really made your day.

Essentially we all are our worst enemies regarding food ratings and comparisons. We travel somewhere or live in another city for a time finding some lip smacking, sock knocking, world rocking place that serves dishes that make you swoon. Then we all come 'home' and try to find a local that matches it....bad idea, cause it ain't gonna happen.

Back in my 'carnivore' period, long long ago, I had some oxtail stew in a little pub under the Holborn Viaduct in London. I recall the taste to this day and it was beyond excellent. But try and match that dish here or anywhere for that matter and you will not do so.

So we all cook at home, buy the best ingredients we can afford and say 'go fish' to all those lousy restaurants !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Pasadena California?

Essentially we all are our worst enemies regarding food ratings and comparisons. We travel somewhere or live in another city for a time finding some lip smacking, sock knocking, world rocking place that serves dishes that make you swoon. Then we all come 'home' and try to find a local that matches it....

In my case, the problem, to the extent it is one, is that from the time I was a little kid, as soon as I had something that was better than any other version of that I'd had, my standards were instantly raised. Where many people I know can go to a restaurant and have GREAT food and yet once home go back to living on canned soup and grilled cheese, I never could. I never accepted that restaurant food had to be the exception. And my steel trap memory insured that every good food I had was meticulously recorded for future comparisons. It's what drove me into cooking, trying to raise my mother's game and prove to her that yes we COULD make veal with marsala sauce at home. I was only 10 when that particular lightning bolt hit: we didn't have to eat gravy! I hated gravy! But marsala sauce? OOH LA LA.

So where did I have Thai food for the first time? Bangkok. Which means every Thai restaurant in town is doomed. The only Thai food I've had that was worthy of the food I hate in Thailand is Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas. But I have had some good very good Thai food, and I will keep trying. It's tough though because the sweetness that you rightly fault Basura for is typical of literally all the Asian food in the provincial Pacific Northwest (I'm letting Seattle and Vancouver off the hook), with the sole exception in my experience of the place with the dead flies in Ferndale.

Having lived smack next door to a huge Vietnamese community in Southern California and living in a town that otherwise catered to suburban chain-restaurant dwellers and surfer dudes, we were accustomed to going out for excellent Vietnamese and Chinese food often. And we missed it, so shortly after moving here, one night Bob and I went out for Chinese with the goal in mind of finding a restaurant we could at least like, if not love. A few attempts here and there had only turned up appallingly bad food. So with phone book in hand, we went to five other Chinese restaurants and ordered the same two dishes. Four were horrible, worse than the worst Chinese food I ever remember having in Southern California. Egregiously sweet, greasy, and lacking in authentic and properly prepared vegetables. One we left without ordering due to astonishing filth--sticky tables and menus that hadn't been wiped of prints in months, moths flitting about the curtains...the Health Dept closed it shortly thereafter. We gave up. This isn't just food that pales by comparison to great Chinese food I've had elsewhere, it's just way below average food that my Chinese friends would spit out.

But give me points for being charitable. I gave Basura a lot of chances--it's a beautiful, clean, white tablecloth restaurant and I so wanted it to be good. Need to try Chris' Lemongrass and another pan-Asian restaurant in town that you'd be interested in if it's any good called...oh shoot. Ah, here it is, A. W. Bistro. They say, ("we do the art of fine asian dining and vegetarian dishes"). Of course, it's one thing to say it, but a recent Dining Guide that the Herald puts out used a beautifully composed dish from that restaurant on their cover: broiled eel with tamago, fresh avocado and daikon sprouts on rice. If the real food in the restaurant actually looks like this, it's worth investigating. The menu indicates a lot of the usual suspects, but it's interesting that there are no pork dishes, lots of tofu, lots of sushi stuff, and even some seafood versions of typically-meat Chinese dishes, like Kung Pao Snapper. I'll give you a heads up when I finally get there.