Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking techniques which intimidate you

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Cooking techniques which intimidate you

by John F » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:35 am

There are a couple of things I wish I knew how to do and I just keep avoiding them....can anyone give me a good "how to " link on:

1) Cutting a whole chicken into parts
2) trimming artichokes

I know I should not steer clear of these but I do.

Anyone else out there have these or other pockets of kryptonite?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Cooking techniques which intimidate you

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:19 am

I'm intimidated by baking - especially pie crust and frosting a cake.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:55 am

I always baulk at cooking offal. Even though I love the stuff, I never know what to do with all the bits of membrane, and how hot to cook it etc. But baking and cutting up a chook, I could teach you. :)

John, easiest way to cut a chicken into parts if you're a novice is with a pair of kitchen scissors.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:14 am

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:51 am

John F wrote:There are a couple of things I wish I knew how to do and I just keep avoiding them....can anyone give me a good "how to " link on:

2) trimming artichokes

Beheading whole fish. I realize the technique is actually called fileting, because after all what you're trying to do is free up the two sides of flesh, but in my heart, I'm beheading. And I fear it.

Piping bags.

Can't think of anything else I'm not good with. But John, you really must get over those two. I've been able to break down a whole chicken in about 30 seconds since I was about 8 years old. And trimming artichokes is fun!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:52 am

For chicken we use a heavy chefs knife. Cut through the top of the chicken lengthwise and lay the chicken open. Cut out the backbone being careful not to lose the oysters. From there it is up to you how small a piece you want. I cut the backbone in half and save it and the inards and wing tips for stock. Usually we keep the breast pieces with the wings, and the whole legs.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:08 pm

John F wrote:There are a couple of things I wish I knew how to do and I just keep avoiding them....can anyone give me a good "how to " link on:

2) trimming artichokes

Here is a good pictorial teaching how to part out a chicken. It is really very simple. You locate the joints and using a very sharp knife, cut in between the two joints. If you need a video, Google "How to cut up a chicken".
[urlhttp://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cutupchicken.htm][/url]

Here is what I do with artichokes. Using a very sharp, sturdy knife, cut about an inch from the smaller end. Trim off the stem end. Take sharp kitchen shears and snip off all the pointy tips of the leaves. Thant's it! Here is a pictorial link.
http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/cookingtechniques/ss/artichoketrim.htm
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm really not intimidated by any cooking technique. However, there are things I dislike doing because of the mess and therefore do not, like making pie crusts.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm not intimadated by much in the kitchen. The only exception would be deep frying. I don't like the "danger" factor of all of that hot oil. Plus, I don't really like the "exactness" of having to have the perfect temperature, etc. And then, what to do with all of that used oil?? Not to mention the lingering smell. Ugh, I just cannot mess with all of that.

My mom taught me to cut up a chicken when I was very young, maybe 11 or 12. I would never buy a pre-cut chicken (except if I want numerous pieces of a specific "part.") I'm sure you'll find it very non-threatening once you get the hang of it.

Artichokes are also easy once you find a method that works for you, John.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Amen, sister!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:05 pm

I'll try anything once but puff pastry makes me nervous.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Here is what I do with artichokes. Using a very sharp, sturdy knife, cut about an inch from the smaller end. Trim off the stem end. Take sharp kitchen shears and snip off all the pointy tips of the leaves. Thant's it! Here is a pictorial link.
http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/cookingtechniques/ss/artichoketrim.htm

Karen, don't you leave the stem on until you get all the leaf tips cut off? Makes a nice handle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Carrie L. wrote:The only exception would be deep frying. I don't like the "danger" factor of all of that hot oil. Plus, I don't really like the "exactness" of having to have the perfect temperature, etc. And then, what to do with all of that used oil?? Not to mention the lingering smell. Ugh, I just cannot mess with all of that.

That one fits me too, Carrie. And heck, living in the south, I can get just about anything fried at local eateries ... ;)
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:45 pm

For me, it's real deep frying. I can cope with frying something in 1/4 or 1/2 inch of hot oil, just not the real deal. I even have a brand new deep fryer that has never been used. Two things stop me--what to do with all that used oil, and the fact that we really shouldn't be eating ANYTHING deep fried these days.

I've also never cooked anything "sous vide" although that doesn't seem scary at all--but for some reason I just haven't used the technique.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:00 pm

It's that boiling water thing.I just can't seem to get that temperature right.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:09 pm

[quote="Karen/NoCAHere is a good pictorial teaching how to part out a chicken. It is really very simple. You locate the joints and using a very sharp knife, cut in between the two joints. If you need a video, Google "How to cut up a chicken".
[urlhttp://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cutupchicken.htm][/url]

Here is what I do with artichokes. Using a very sharp, sturdy knife, cut about an inch from the smaller end. Trim off the stem end. Take sharp kitchen shears and snip off all the pointy tips of the leaves. Thant's it! Here is a pictorial link.
http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/cookingtechniques/ss/artichoketrim.htm[/quote]

These were very, very helpful. Question - if I'm going to pull the leaves off anyway is there a particular reason to cut of the tips of them first?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:44 pm

Deep frying I have no problem with. I dealt with a lot worse in chemistry classes.

But baked pastry--cakes, tarts, and whatnot--gives me the willies. Too many variables--never seems to come out right.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Chef on Fire can be had dirt cheap at Amazon. It's all in there.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Of course, there's no guarantee you'll be able to find "it," if you have to use the index.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:03 am

These were very, very helpful. Question - if I'm going to pull the leaves off anyway is there a particular reason to cut of the tips of them first?

John, good question - many folks, including myself, do not like the sharp little tips on the pointy ends of the leaves. My kids hated them and would not eat artichokes until I started snipping them off. It only take a few seconds....they look better too. Since the pointy end is what you have to use to pull the leaves off, it just makes sense to square them off a bit.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:07 am

[quote][Karen, don't you leave the stem on until you get all the leaf tips cut off? Makes a nice handle./quote]

Jenise, I don't cut the stem end entirely off, just the tip of it to remove the part that may not look perfect. Sometimes they are very long and I shorten them up a little. They are good eating. It's the same idea as trimming a celery stalk, they turn a little off color, and maybe split a little - I trim those, as well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:22 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:

John, good question - many folks, including myself, do not like the sharp little tips on the pointy ends of the leaves. My kids hated them and would not eat artichokes until I started snipping them off. It only take a few seconds....they look better too. Since the pointy end is what you have to use to pull the leaves off, it just makes sense to square them off a bit.

It should probably be mentioned that there are several species of artichoke and not all have thorns in the tips. Those that don't--no need to trim at all.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Cutting up a chicken, no problem. Boning a bird (or parts of one), that's something I'd just as soon avoid. I've done it, I wouldn't exactly call myself "intimidated" but it takes a very special mood to get me to do it.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:39 pm

Any kind of dish that requires raw meat or fish. Sushi and tartar just aren't my thing (bad experience).
Next