Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What cut for pot roast?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

What cut for pot roast?

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 am

I was in the mood to make a pot roast last night, so went to my local grocer to pick out a beef chuck roast. That's the cut I usually use with great success. The chucks were kinda small, so I looked next to them and saw shoulder roasts that were nicely shaped and larger. I was tempted to buy one, but the butcher told me they didn't work as well for pot roasts. To me, they looked like they had a good amount of marbeling, which I think is the key to a good braised roast. I ended up buying and making the largest chuck they had. It was very good, but there were several very large patches of fat on the roast. I'd be tempted to try the shoulder next time.
What do you usually use for your pot roast? Anyone tried using the shoulder? Other thoughts?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: What cut for pot roast?

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 am

I like chuck - it has really nice flavors. However, according to http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm, chuck is a shoulder cut, so I'm confused by what the butcher told you.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:44 am

I go for bottom round if I can find a decent piece.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 am

Howie Hart wrote:I like chuck - it has really nice flavors. However, according to http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm, chuck is a shoulder cut, so I'm confused by what the butcher told you.

Hmm. The shoulder roasts they were selling were larger, rounder and more uniform. The chuck roasts were flatter and had veins of fat essentially separating the roast into three sections. The two smaller "outer sections" of the chuck roast were melt in your mouth tender--almost like short ribs--if that helps identify.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:11 am

Carl Eppig wrote:I go for bottom round if I can find a decent piece.

Carl, I saw those there too and wondered if they would make a nice tender braised roast since they also were a little larger and more uniform. I hesitated, because I know the "eye of round" makes a terrible pot roast. What's the bottom round like?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:35 am

Carrie L. wrote:Carl, I saw those there too and wondered if they would make a nice tender braised roast since they also were a little larger and more uniform. I hesitated, because I know the "eye of round" makes a terrible pot roast. What's the bottom round like?

Pot roasting means a completely different thing than braising to me. The bottom round is ideal for the former, probably not for the latter. The bottom round is particularly good for cutting into two inch pieces for those recipes calling for such.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Bottom round for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Chuck. When I was a kid chuck came in two cuts, the taller, rounder shoulder which was boneless and the flat-cut 7 bone, named for the shape of the bone. For dry roasting, the fat in the 7 bone is essential for tenderness and that short-rib texture you mention. Luscious. For braising and cutting in cubes, what someone else said: shoulder's my choice there.

Carrie, have you ever used the chucks cut thin, or what is sometimes called blade cut, to heavily marinate and barbecue as steak? The parts all separate nicely into pieces, and you get several bones for handles. It's a favorite summertime dinnner when we're in a beefy finger-food kind of mood.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I like chuck - it has really nice flavors. However, according to http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm, chuck is a shoulder cut, so I'm confused by what the butcher told you.

I'm with you, Howie. Chuck has the flavor and the fat that's necessary to make a great pot roast.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:06 am

Jenise wrote:Chuck. When I was a kid chuck came in two cuts, the taller, rounder shoulder which was boneless and the flat-cut 7 bone, named for the shape of the bone. For dry roasting, the fat in the 7 bone is essential for tenderness and that short-rib texture you mention. Luscious. For braising and cutting in cubes, what someone else said: shoulder's my choice there.

Carrie, have you ever used the chucks cut thin, or what is sometimes called blade cut, to heavily marinate and barbecue as steak? The parts all separate nicely into pieces, and you get several bones for handles. It's a favorite summertime dinnner when we're in a beefy finger-food kind of mood.

Darn, wish I had taken a photo. It worked really well (great flavor, very tender), but like I said, it was a little small. Len can put away quite a bit of meat and I like to have leftovers, so I was looking for something with a little more heft. There was no bone, but I would say it was on the flat side, about three inches thick.
I just found a photo that looks pretty close on google images...see below. I also found a photo of the seven bone (but did not post). I'll bet that would make a really tasty roast. In fact, I think that is the pot roast I grew up on.
ist2_478117-beef-chuck-roast.jpg

I'll have to look for the blade cut and try the marinating and grilling. What do you do, cut between the bones after it is cooked?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:09 am

Carl Eppig wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Carl, I saw those there too and wondered if they would make a nice tender braised roast since they also were a little larger and more uniform. I hesitated, because I know the "eye of round" makes a terrible pot roast. What's the bottom round like?

Pot roasting means a completely different thing than braising to me. The bottom round is ideal for the former, probably not for the latter. The bottom round is particularly good for cutting into two inch pieces for those recipes calling for such.

Carl, what do you call pot roasting? Is that when it is cooked stovetop? I'm sure I'm getting my cooking terms mixed up, but I always braise my "pot roast." I season it, dust it with flour, brown it in the pan then add my liquids and veggies and slow cook it in the oven for several hours.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm with you, Howie. Chuck has the flavor and the fat that's necessary to make a great pot roast.
Here's a link to a thread I started a while ago about cooking chuck as steaks and using my Deni meat tenderizer. http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3244&p=25213
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:58 am

Carrie L. wrote:Carl, what do you call pot roasting? Is that when it is cooked stovetop? I'm sure I'm getting my cooking terms mixed up, but I always braise my "pot roast." I season it, dust it with flour, brown it in the pan then add my liquids and veggies and slow cook it in the oven for several hours.

I call a pot roast that which I cook very slowly on the stove top, in the oven, or in a slow pot with lots of liquid such a Carbonnades A La Flamande or Boeuf Bourguignon or good ole Yankee Pot Roast. What you are doing sounds like a pot roast to me too.

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:02 am

Pot-roasting is in fact braising. No matter what you want to call it. Caramelize the food,add a liquid, cook until done. You have just mastered braising.

Just about any cut from either the chuck or the round will work with the braising technique.

The chuck will have a lot more fat and is consequently harder to screw up. One has to be a little careful with the round.

Try to keep the temperature just below the boil when you braise. Otherwise you set the juices inside the food aboil and consequently - and ironically - dry the food out.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Darn, wish I had taken a photo. It worked really well (great flavor, very tender), but like I said, it was a little small. Len can put away quite a bit of meat and I like to have leftovers, so I was looking for something with a little more heft. There was no bone, but I would say it was on the flat side, about three inches thick.

That looks exactly like the boneless shoulder chuck I see locally. Great for braising, or having custom ground for burgers. Best flavor of all for the latter, IMO.

I'll have to look for the blade cut and try the marinating and grilling. What do you do, cut between the bones after it is cooked?

No, I cut it up before it goes into the marinade. The logical pieces are all like separate muscles and practically separate themselves--you hardly have to use a knife. It works well with a Korean style marinade, or a blend of worcestershire sauce, mustard, sherry and garlic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:22 pm

Jenise wrote:No, I cut it up before it goes into the marinade. The logical pieces are all like separate muscles and practically separate themselves--you hardly have to use a knife. It works well with a Korean style marinade, or a blend of worcestershire sauce, mustard, sherry and garlic.

That's funny. When you originally mentioned that seven bone cut, I was picturing (and my tastebuds were salivating for) the Korean barbecue I had in NYC. I will definitely watch for it in the grocery store.