Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I'm getting a new supermarket!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

I'm getting a new supermarket!

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:42 pm

Long-time regulars here know that I live in a grocery challenged area. There's a really crappy low-end market about 10 miles away called Cost Cutter whose offerings are everything that name could imply, and two better choices in the suburbs about 15 miles distant. Town, with all the best choices and where I do the majority of my shopping, is around 25. So the opening of a new grocery store just 6 miles away AND at our freeway exit is major excitement indeed. What we know is that it's going to be "a full service grocery store, but it'll be unique to this area...a specialty store...with features the only found on the East Coast." It'll be operated and managed by a local chain who in fact also own the dreadful Cost Cutter, but who also have a brand of higher end stores (which, however, fail at being as good as they want them to be--all the management seem to be locally raised and quite provincial in their idea of what 'high end' means--it's like none of them have even been to a Whole Foods). Whatever, this new store, they say, will be a big step above that.

So finally, we'll have a store to run out to quickly if we run out of something important, like normal people do, or stop at when we get off the freeway to come home. No matter what it is, in other words, it will be a heavenly convenience. It's cool though that they're going to try to create something unique.

Even if we don't understand what that might mean. So tell me, East Coasters, what might "features only found on the East Coast" be?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: I'm getting a new supermarket!

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Bottled water from New Jersey? :?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Grouchy service? :?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Jenise wrote:...So tell me, East Coasters, what might "features only found on the East Coast" be?
Since I've never shopped for food in the South, Midwest or West, I have no idea what we have that may be unique, with the exception perhaps some Italian import specialties and some locally produced sausage products.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:22 pm

Unauthorized to sell beer and wine before 1pm on Sundays, or to even sell hard liquor at all.

Seriously...I can't imagine what that could mean, Jenise. I don't see much difference between our Ralph's in CA and our Harris Teeter in NC other than what I mention above.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 pm

I feel your excitement! When I first moved here, our grocery stores were pretty dismal. Heck, our entire retail situation was dismal. If you wanted a special spice, or even fresh herbs, chilies, etc. you just couldn't get them. Anything considered the least bit gourmet meant a trip to Madison. But things are changing and I'm able to actually make some of the recipes I read about.

I'll be anxious to hear what you end up getting, and what the East Coast thing means.
Patti
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:48 pm

Too funny ! I find that new markets are eager to please so make friends with the produce and meat managers and don't be shy about special requests.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:17 pm

As a transplanted mid-westerner who has lived on the east coast for the last decade I see little difference. The most notable and annoying difference is that the quality of produce on the east coast (in the supermarkets) seems to be much lower across the board. This is off-set though by the number of local farmers markets. It was interesting to note that while in Ohio a few weeks ago while back I noticed the meat prices at the local wholesale club where significantly higher than those at my local Giant.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Jenise wrote: So tell me, East Coasters, what might "features only found on the East Coast" be?

Cramped, overcrowded aisles?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:45 pm

I forgot about scrapple
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm

All the other shoppers look and sound like Rosanna Rosanna Danna?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:25 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Jenise wrote: So tell me, East Coasters, what might "features only found on the East Coast" be?

Cramped, overcrowded aisles?

And sullen service! I think you and Dave R hit the nail on the head. One of the best things about moving back to the Ohio Valley from NYC for me was putting places like Waldbaum's and Grand Union behind us. :P
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:... putting places like Waldbaum's and Grand Union behind us. :P

Hey Robin-
My 83 year old Mom might just kick your butt for that comment. She slaved at GU for many years in the check out lane and I'm pretty sure she could make friends of anyone who spent more than 2 minutes stuck in her line. Where do you work, what are the names of your 23 children, where do you worship, etc,? Mom did and still can chat it up with the best of them!!
Unforunately, the gene pool didn't tilt that way for her second born. :P
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Redwinger wrote:My 83 year old Mom might just kick your butt for that comment. She slaved at GU for many years in the check out lane and I'm pretty sure she could make friends of anyone who spent more than 2 minutes stuck in her line. Where do you work, what are the names of your 23 children, where do you worship, etc,? Mom did and still can chat it up with the best of them!!

She sounds like a rare one, Bill! Let's just talk trash about Waldbaum's and leave Grand Union out of it. ;)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:... putting places like Waldbaum's and Grand Union behind us. :P

Hey Robin-
My 83 year old Mom might just kick your butt for that comment. She slaved at GU for many years in the check out lane and I'm pretty sure she could make friends of anyone who spent more than 2 minutes stuck in her line. Where do you work, what are the names of your 23 children, where do you worship, etc,? Mom did and still can chat it up with the best of them!!

Well, hey, that explains your sweeeet disposition, 'Winger. Hehehe...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:I forgot about scrapple
I love scrapple! My mom made it at hog killing time ( around November) every year.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:53 am

Good luck with the new store. You will have to tell us if you discover and 'finds'.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:45 am

Malfunctioning auto-chekout lanes, salad greens that resemble leaves in the fall :(

But we do get Boar's Head deli meats (!)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:10 am

celia wrote:
Redwinger wrote:

Hey Robin-

Well, hey, that explains your sweeeet disposition, 'Winger. Hehehe...

Celia-
Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:29 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:Good luck with the new store. You will have to tell us if you discover any 'finds'.

Will do. Might be a useful stop on your way to and from Vancouver--it will be right there on the west side of the freeway at the Birch Bay exit. Do you recall that old Outlet Mall right off I-5 about four miles from the border? That's the location. It's been totally remodelled into Birch Bay Square, with new shops, a Jack in the Box, a Starbucks, and the inevitable Bob's Burger & Brew (a chain I've never stepped inside of). An eventual 18 acre expansion will include more restaurants and a hotel.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Good luck with the new store. You will have to tell us if you discover any 'finds'.

Will do. Might be a useful stop on your way to and from Vancouver--it will be right there on the west side of the freeway at the Birch Bay exit. Do you recall that old Outlet Mall right off I-5 about four miles from the border? That's the location. It's been totally remodelled into Birch Bay Square, with new shops, a Jack in the Box, a Starbucks, and the inevitable Bob's Burger & Brew (a chain I've never stepped inside of). An eventual 18 acre expansion will include more restaurants and a hotel.

We know where that is and would like to know when it is open (and name) so we can do a visit. Bobs burger and brew we have seen in several locations but since we dont eat meat/fowl we dont visit. Thanks.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:20 am

we dont eat meat/fowl

Why is that?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Dave R wrote:
we dont eat meat/fowl

Why is that?

Primarily health reason like most people.
Thanks,
Mike