Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

July 1 - Match this dish - Candied Pecan Spinach Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

July 1 - Match this dish - Candied Pecan Spinach Salad

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:12 pm

So I'm going to lay this out. The idea is to come up with wine pairings for a particular dish. You also need to explain why you think a particular wine will work well. No changing the dish in any essential way to make a match work.

Let's see what we can come up with. We'll try to play this game every week.

Match this dish - Candied Peacan Salad
The salad is fairly straightforward. It's baby spinach leaves, tossed with candied pecans & crumbled blue cheese. The salad is lightly dressed with some fine extra virgin olive oil a little bit of balsamic vinegar and some salt & pepper to taste.

I've talked about what I match with it in the past, but I won't bring it up until later this week.

Ready...

Set...

Match this dish!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: July 1 - Match this dish - Candied Pecan Spinach Salad

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:31 pm

Off dry Chenin. Maybe a Vouvray.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: You also need to explain why you think a particular wine will work well.

Stuart, you forgot part of your answer.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 pm

Because I thought about it a minute and the flavors just pair up. I wish I had a fancier way to say it, but I'm fairly inarticulate.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:15 am

Full bodied silvaner or some other sort of Franken wine.

Same logic as Stuart, sounds like it would work :)

Seriously, the flavors and structure of Franken wines are not exactly the same as off-dry Chenin, but are in the same ballpark.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:56 am

Rahsaan - do you think the sweetness of the candied nuts might trip up a dry Franken wine?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Rahsaan - do you think the sweetness of the candied nuts might trip up a dry Franken wine?

I guess I should have been more specific, I was thinking in particular of all the rich 06 Franken wines that I recently tasted that seemed to have plenty of body/alcohol and even a bit of r.s. yet perhaps with some of the herbal flavors that might be a better match for the spinach than the Vouvray. But, depending on the Franken wine, I can see how it would be a stretch and how the off-dry Chenin might be a safer choice.

What about full-bodied off-dry wines from Alsace? Or Austria? Pungent gruner with spinach?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:13 am

Lots of good ideas already. I'm still going to wait on my personal selection.

The Gruner Veltliner is an interesting idea. There have been some vintages that were richer/thicker than others (e.g. 2006, 1995) & perhaps that would be a really good choice. Actually I have a 1995 Salomon Riesling Kogl Auslese (!) in my cellar that might work quite well. Off-dry Alsace is interesting too - perhaps Pinot Gris?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:27 am

One of the things I would have to consider is if the salad is a stand alone dish or one course of a meal. As a stand alone, the blue cheese and sweet nuts suggest something sweet, so David, if you don't want to go with a Sauternes, you might want to try something local, like: Sharpe Hill Vineyard - Select Late Harvest (scroll down). However, as part of a meal progression, a dry Rose might even work.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:55 am

For the same reason as others, "because it tastes good in my head"... what about a Gewurstraminer or perhaps a Muscat primarily because of the sweetness?

Or maybe a Proseco?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:56 am

Howie - I was thinking that the salad would be a course in a larger meal (as I have used it in the past).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:36 am

I don't agree with any of you. :)

Spinach is a very strong and assertive green, and there's nothing wimpy about blue cheese. This is a big bodied salad and it will carry a big bodied wine--syrah gives you that, and even though I wouldn't pair syrah with candied pecans all by themselves, the sweetness of new world fruit should be a good match for the sweetening effect of the nuts on the salad as a whole. I note the dressing is savory, not sweet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:44 am

Viognier.
Bold enough to stand up to the bleu cheese, and while it's a dry wine, it's flavors and aromas suggest a certain sweetness that would allow it to work with the candied nuts.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:51 pm

These are the joys of wine and food matching. Everybody's different.

Ok - just to keep the conversation rolling I will say what my choice has been in the past: 10 year old+ Mosel Riesling Auslese. The sweetness of the older auslese is somewhat lower than in a young version, the beginning of secondary devleopment adds elements that work with the nuts. The last time I did this I used a 1995 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese***. That really showed two things:

1) Older auslese was nowhere near as sweet as newer "global warming" versions - we might have needed something sweeter
2) The sweet & salty (candied nuts & blue cheese) really plays off the sweetness and acidity of the wine very well.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Match this dish - Candied Peacan Salad
The salad is fairly straightforward. It's baby spinach leaves, tossed with candied pecans & crumbled blue cheese. The salad is lightly dressed with some fine extra virgin olive oil a little bit of balsamic vinegar and some salt & pepper to taste.
Match this dish!

Fluff - pressed something and lost the post.
Trying again, I'm suggesting a full-boded pinot gris that has some (if not all) barrel-ferment in seasoned oak with lees stirring, it has moderate to high alcohol (14%), moderate acidity and is just off dry. Flavours are in the typical pear spectrum and there is an earthy savoury undercurrent to the wine.
This will complement the candied nuts and the earthy spinach and cut through the piquancy of the blue. Any pear flavours in the wine will also complement all the food - just think - you could easily add pear to the salad.
There are several NZ Pinot gris made in this style, but I would also recommend a rich, fruity, savoury and earthy Central Otago [deleted]. Experience tells me it will match to the spinach, blue cheese and nuts, I'm just not sure about the candy coating on the nuts. Something to try, I guess.

Fascinating topic,
Cheers,
Sue

Edited to deleted second wine match as buried in a long paragragh about pinot gris, was not my first choice and I did express some concern about the match
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Of course I am breaking my own (barely dry) rules here, but I have done the same salad with plain toasted pecans instead of candied. That simplifies the sweetness issue.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:01 pm

So am I the only one here who would pair a red wine with salad? Interesting!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Jenise wrote:So am I the only one here who would pair a red wine with salad? Interesting!

What makes you say that?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:57 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Jenise wrote:So am I the only one here who would pair a red wine with salad? Interesting!

What makes you say that?

Sue, come on--because I'm the only one who suggested a red wine pairing.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:23 pm

With blue cheese? Nah. Have to disagree with you. The combo always leaves a metallic taste in my mouth.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Got to agree with Stuart. I inevitably prefer white wine with most (especially blue) cheeses.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:17 am

Jenise wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:

What makes you say that?

Sue, come on--because I'm the only one who suggested a red wine pairing.

Then you obviously didn't read my post :cry:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:07 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:With blue cheese? Nah. Have to disagree with you. The combo always leaves a metallic taste in my mouth.

I agree to a certain extent, especially when eating blue cheese alone. But when the blue cheese is melted into a sauce and/or is in a creamy style, then red wines may work well.

For example, I have found that cooking with Point Reyes Blue is not a problem for red wine. Over here, using Stilton can be a bit trickier, depending on the Stilton of course.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 am

Possibly so, but in this dish, what was specified was "crumbled blue cheese." That starts pointing me toward rich, assertive whites with good acidity and a touch of sweetness.
Next