Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

July 1 - Match this dish - Candied Pecan Spinach Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: July 1 - Match this dish - Candied Pecan Spinach Salad

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 am

Sue - to be fair your Pinot Noir recommendation was buried in a long paragraph about Pinot Gris & expressed concern about the match.

Compromise - Jenise was the only one to make a strong recommendation for a red wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:58 am

Sue Courtney wrote:Then you obviously didn't read my post :cry:

No I did. But it wasn't your first choice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote: The combo always leaves a metallic taste in my mouth.

Not so here. But either way, I think the spinach would temper that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Maybe this is like that cilantro thing where people either love it or they think it tastes like soap. Genetic.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Maybe this is like that cilantro thing where people either love it or they think it tastes like soap. Genetic.

This is oddly reminiscent of a more serious socio-political issue about whether people are born or made with certain preferences. ;) But for the record, I used to hate cilantro, but when I realized how many ethnic dishes I love are made with it, I consciously trained myself to like it. So it's either not entirely genetic, or at least the aversion can be overcome.

Also, for what it's worth, I never thought it tasted like soap. I do think it smells exactly like a box of Crayolas, though. Go figure ...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:...at least the aversion can be overcome.

Please explain this to Ms. Wenslow.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Jenise wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:Then you obviously didn't read my post :cry:

No I did. But it wasn't your first choice.

So it doesn't count. Harrummph!

David M. Bueker wrote:Sue - to be fair your Pinot Noir recommendation was buried in a long paragraph about Pinot Gris & expressed concern about the match.
Compromise - Jenise was the only one to make a strong recommendation for a red wine.

Oh well, I've never had candied pecans - it must be an American thing - and that was my concern.

Anyway, FWIW, I had a Petite Sirah with Spinach, Blue Cheese and roasted pecan last night, and it worked rather well. But probably doesn't count as no EVOO, balsamic or candy - and the spinach had been wilted and the cheese wrapped in the warm spinach, so not really a salad. There are also a wide range of blues available and the one I had (a NZ creamy blue vein) worked well with the wine.

As for the Pinot Noir match, seeing it doesn't count, I won't try it out with the salad tonight, as I had planned to.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

It's like a lot of other things. You have to really want to change. ;)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:59 pm

This is an easy one.

Sherry!

Your choice depending on how you like them, from a chilled Manzanilla to a room temp, dry Amontillado.

Both work prefectly with nuts and cheese.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

It's like a lot of other things. You have to really want to change. ;)

I see no reason to give up my membership here when I am the one who got the discerning gene, and you all are the ones who are sadly flawed. 8)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Oh well, I've never had candied pecans - it must be an American thing - and that was my concern.

Anyway, FWIW, I had a Petite Sirah with Spinach, Blue Cheese and roasted pecan last night, and it worked rather well. But probably doesn't count as no EVOO, balsamic or candy - and the spinach had been wilted and the cheese wrapped in the warm spinach, so not really a salad. There are also a wide range of blues available and the one I had (a NZ creamy blue vein) worked well with the wine.

As for the Pinot Noir match, seeing it doesn't count, I won't try it out with the salad tonight, as I had planned to.

It does count. This isn't a competition, but a way to get some ideas out there & have some friendly discussion.

I really like the wilted spinach and blue cheese idea. It's more of a winter idea for me, but given that you're in the S. Hemisphere that makes a lot of sense right now. How cold does it get for you this time of year?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:11 am

I like Bill's idea of Amontillado, as long as it's chilled. The acidity and slight sweetness will work against the spinach and cheese, the nuttiness with the pecan.

I also like the idea of a demi-sec sparkling wine, but not Champagne. How about Lambrusco di Grasparossa di Castelvetro?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:06 am

David M. Bueker wrote:How cold does it get for you this time of year?

Off topic - but cold. It is winter after all.

"Snowed in from north to south
Jul 5, 2008 6:42 PM

Snow has fallen in parts of the central and lower North Island which have not seen such falls for years.
The polar blast has worked its way up both islands, even dumping white powder on the Kaimai Ranges overlooking Tauranga."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/423466/1889649
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok - just to keep the conversation rolling I will say what my choice has been in the past: 10 year old+ Mosel Riesling Auslese. The sweetness of the older auslese is somewhat lower than in a young version, the beginning of secondary devleopment adds elements that work with the nuts. The last time I did this I used a 1995 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese***.

David,
I'm getting to this conversation late, but my instinct would be to seek out a dry/off-dry, high acid white with (if possible) a touch of botrytis. Obvious choices would be Riesling Auslesen (as you've stated) but how about an Austrian Riesling or GV from one of those botrytis-influenced years (like '01)? Apart from that, I'd look to the Western Anjou for a sweet Chenin with age on it (CdL, QdC or Bonnezeaux).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:56 pm

Oregon or Burgundy Pinot. Because I like it and it would go great with the steak I will be having on the side, too. :mrgreen:

rwj
Previous