Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

White Apricots!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

White Apricots!

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Every summer these days there's some new fruit at the store made by partnering apricots or plums with other fruit. I love both, and a real tree-ripened apricot is without a doubt my favorite fruit in the world. But they're so perishable that there's almost no such thing as a good apricot unless you have your own tree, so cot fiends like me must make do, and these new fruits are irresistable. They are at the very least a way of living the fruit version of "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."

My favorite so far has been the green-and-orange skinned mango-apricot of two summers ago, though last summer's Flavorellas were outstanding. This year's new find is white apricots, also dubbed Angelcots. I have no idea what the partner fruit is, but surely it's white peach or white nectarine. Very pale light yellow color inside and out, with a surprisingly vivid apricot flavor (paler is not lesser, IOW) that's not-so-surprisingly sweeter than a typical apricot. Pretty good!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: White Apricots!

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Sounds pretty good. I'll have to look for these.

We are lucky enough to have apricot trees in the orchard at my workplace. (Yes, yes, it's a hard life but someone has to live it. 8))
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Dear Jenise,

I just saw those at Trader Joe's yesterday for the first time. The one I tried had surprising apricot flavor, as you say, despite a wan color, which in a regular apricot I always find a sign of immaturity.

Even having your own tree is a double edged sword; there's no such thing as windfall apricots! My wife's parents had an old Blenheim tree from the days when the Santa Clara Valley was the apricot center of the U.S. Those fruits were heavenly, with the intensity and perfume that Sauternes only wish they had. Maybe when I try Yquem, it will be as good, but I doubt it. However, the fruit was so ripe that if you let it go even a few days the ground would become slick with fallen, rotting apricots, thus deterring further picking attempts and compounding the problem.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:57 am

Interesting stuff. Glad to see the Food and Farm Scientists are contributing something worthwhile for a change.. :D