Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Jenise's Triple X-Rated Adult Potato Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Jenise's Triple X-Rated Adult Potato Salad

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:27 pm

IOW, your kids probably won't like it.

Per Chris' request, from a post on the old FLDG which was in answer to Traci's request:

Mind, I've never written this down before, nor do I use measuring cups or such that I have precise measurements (I don't even own any), but I'm very accurate at eyeballing amounts scooped with tablespoons, poured into the palm of my hand or poured into an old coffee cup that is my one-size-fits-all non-scientific measuring device. So the amounts listed in this recipe are accurate but approximate--in fact, the only thing I'm a little unsure of is exactly how much vinegar eventually ends up in the salad since that gets drizzled, thumb over bottle opening (I keep an easy-to-grip long/narrow-necked wine bottle of apple cider vinegar stove-side), which could be moot since your vinegar might be weaker or stronger so it's a to-taste thing.

Anyway, any good cook will be able to follow my instructions and, using a little judgement, duplicate my results. This mustard-less potato salad gets it's tang from vinegar, it's lightness and sophistication from the sour cream, it's texture and color from the lovely red skins and green celery, and it's spice from canned (don't substitute fresh, you need canned) jalapenos "en escabeche". Chopped fresh jalapeno is a nice additional ingredient, but not neccessary to the flavor the way the escabeche juice is. The result is a stiff, not greasy or fatty-seeming potato salad with a hot little kick in the back end. A guest on Sunday called it "potato salad for adults", a perfect description. I never serve it that someone doesn't ask for the recipe.

One warning: because of the sour cream, it's fragile and temperature sensitive. It's best served cold the day it's made and should be finished by the second day as the sour cream liquifies with time.

Five pounds of potatoes makes one big bowl, about 20 servings.

5 lbs red potatoes, rinsed, cut(halve small ones, quarter medium-sized ones)
1 1/3 c sour cream
2 heaping tablespoons, and I mean heaping, mayonnaise
About 1/3 c apple cider vinegar, maybe more
2 teaspoons celery seed
about four teaspoons dry dill (and for God's sake, if your dry dill isn't dark green and a very recent purchase go buy some more) or 1/4 c chopped fresh dill
3 tablespoons chopped jalapeno and carrots (buy the strips with carrots called "en escabeche" and note that the carrots give the same flavor but more color to your salad) and about two tablespoons of the marinating juice
salt, lots of cracked black pepper
4 celery ribs, diced
1 medium white onion, diced

Place the prepared potatoes in a large cooking pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Add about a teaspoon of salt and simmer until the potatoes are just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Drain. Set cooking pot aside, use it as your mixing bowl.

Dice celery and onions. Have vinegar nearby, use something spouted so it pours in a thin stream or use a tablespoon to sprinkle.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, break them into walnut sized pieces and drop them into mixing bowl. When you've done about a third of the potatoes, sprinkle about one and a half tablespoons of vinegar, a few pinches of salt and a third of the celery/onions over. Repeat two more times until all the potatoes, celery, onions and vinegar have been used.

In a separate small bowl, mix the mayo, sour cream jalapeno juice. Pour over potatoes, add dill, celery seed and lots of cracked black pepper, mix. Test/adjust for flavor, knowing that vinegar will be sharper now than in a few hours once it's chilled--and the jalapeno effect hotter. Refrigerate. Once the salad's chilled, adjust for flavor (typically, more salt and a shot of vinegar will be needed) and transfer to a serving bowl. Cover with plastic and keep cold until serving time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: RCP: Jenise's Triple X-Rated Adult Potato Salad

by Maria Samms » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:28 pm

(and for God's sake, if your dry dill isn't dark green and a very recent purchase go buy some more)

:lol:

This looks delicious Jenise! I noticed, though, the use of Mayo...do you like this potato salad? I thought Mayo is to Jenise like Cilantro is to Cynthia... :lol:
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Love this salad! If I WAS cooking for the 4th, this is exactly what I would take (I also planned a quinoa salad). But since work is getting in the way this year, I just get to show up and party!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Maria Samms wrote:[This looks delicious Jenise! I noticed, though, the use of Mayo...do you like this potato salad? I thought Mayo is to Jenise like Cilantro is to Cynthia... :lol:

Cynthia also doesn't eat mayo or sour cream.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:48 pm

I do not care for mayo in potato salad, but mustard is an absolute necessity.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I do not care for mayo in potato salad, but mustard is an absolute necessity.

Mustard provides sharpness and tang. In my version, the jalapeno takes care of all of that for you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Maria Samms wrote:
(and for God's sake, if your dry dill isn't dark green and a very recent purchase go buy some more)

:lol:

This looks delicious Jenise! I noticed, though, the use of Mayo...do you like this potato salad? I thought Mayo is to Jenise like Cilantro is to Cynthia... :lol:

I love it! It's my own recipe, created to be exactly what I want and would hope for in potato salad. For all that I hate mayo, there are just one or two places I can forgive it's presence. In this salad, it makes the sour cream more substantive without being as slick or greasy as pure mayo would be. And as I cautioned, this isn't a loose, messy potato salad.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I do not care for mayo in potato salad...

Same here. The potato salad I make is a German style. Mmmmm...BACON!
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:43 pm

Oooohhhhh, baby! I love it when you talk potato salad.

I really like the pickled carrot/jalapeno addition. Gotta make this soon!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 am

Unlike some of you picky, restrictive folks, I like all of the five or six versions of potato salad I make. From the German to the Nicoise to the Italian to the All-American deviled potato salad.

I think the world has enough rules already. We don't need any for potato salad.

Looks good Jenise.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:58 am

ChefJCarey wrote:...I think the world has enough rules already. We don't need any for potato salad...
Yes we do. No Miracle Whip!
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am

Howie Hart wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:...I think the world has enough rules already. We don't need any for potato salad...

Okay, one rule.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am

ChefJCarey wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:

Okay, one rule.

Hey -- keep your hands off my Miracle Whip!!! :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 am

Jenise, IIRC, the salt that you said to use is Lawry's seasoning salt, no? Yes? I think that also adds a certain something to the salad. Also, not to add the sour cream/mayo mixture to the potatoes all at once, keeping some aside to ensure the salad isn't swimming in the mixture unless the rest of it is really needed.

I know someone else is making potato salad for Friday but I plan on making a batch from your recipe very soon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:53 pm

Chris wrote:Jenise, IIRC, the salt that you said to use is Lawry's seasoning salt, no? Yes? I think that also adds a certain something to the salad. Also, not to add the sour cream/mayo mixture to the potatoes all at once, keeping some aside to ensure the salad isn't swimming in the mixture unless the rest of it is really needed.

I know someone else is making potato salad for Friday but I plan on making a batch from your recipe very soon.

True, and the difference between what I told you two years ago when you first had this potato salad at my house and the recipe above posted five years earlier is simply the evolution of ingredients and technique. No recipe of mine, once written, is cast in stone. Note I also use a lot more celery these days.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:55 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:I think the world has enough rules already. We don't need any for potato salad.

Looks good Jenise.

Thanks, and you said it about the rules. I make five or six different versions too, some more suited to certain service than others. This is the one I love most for barbecued ribs and usually make every Fourth. I'm not doing it this year because a guest offered to make potato salad, and with 50 people coming I know when not to turn down help.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:00 pm

Took this to our neighborhood 4th of July potluck yesterday. There was so much food on the table that I never ran across anyone else who had tried it, but I can say that my wife and I both loved it. This now goes into the rotation with "regular" potato salad and the nicoise version.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Took this to our neighborhood 4th of July potluck yesterday. There was so much food on the table that I never ran across anyone else who had tried it, but I can say that my wife and I both loved it. This now goes into the rotation with "regular" potato salad and the nicoise version.

Oh, I'm so glad. Thanks for mentioning it.