Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Barley, Corn, Roasted Poblano and Cherry Tomato Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

RCP: Barley, Corn, Roasted Poblano and Cherry Tomato Salad

by TraciM » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:42 pm

...with Chile Cilantro Dressing.

Sounds like Jenise needs a few more ideas to use up all that barley!

1 cup medium-grain barley
Salt
1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped, or to taste
1 cups packed cilantro leaves
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 scallions, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels
1 pint red cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered

In a large pot bring 6 cups water to a boil, stir in the barley and salt. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer the barley for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain the barley and rinse with cold water until it is thoroughly cooled, drain well. In a blender combine the white wine vinegar, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and vegetable oil and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl combine the cooked barley and the dressing, mixing well. Stir in the scallions, corn and tomatoes and season to taste. Chill the salad, covered, and serve
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Barley, Corn, Roasted Poblano and Cherry Tomato Salad w

by Jenise » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:49 pm

MMMMMMM....barley, green chiles and cilantro? I'm salivating already. Maybe I should make this instead of the other one. I am mad, MAD, about roasted green chiles. I will totally accept blame for using more than the recipe calls for!

I'm in the middle of doing all the prep work for tomorrow's salads right now. One down, half of two others made, onion dip made, and I'm overwelmed by what's left to do and how little time there is to do it. I've got seven salads planned, a salmon tartare and some bacon wrapped shrimp to go. Oh shit, I need to get the shrimp out of the freezer...bye!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

Re: RCP: Barley, Corn, Roasted Poblano and Cherry Tomato Salad w

by TraciM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:26 am

Jenise wrote:MMMMMMM....barley, green chiles and cilantro? I'm salivating already. Maybe I should make this instead of the other one. I am mad, MAD, about roasted green chiles. I will totally accept blame for using more than the recipe calls for!

I'm in the middle of doing all the prep work for tomorrow's salads right now. One down, half of two others made, onion dip made, and I'm overwelmed by what's left to do and how little time there is to do it. I've got seven salads planned, a salmon tartare and some bacon wrapped shrimp to go. Oh shit, I need to get the shrimp out of the freezer...bye!

Then, you'd love this one pizza I make--roasted poblanos, roasted bell peppers, and corn. Topped with Monterey jack and cilantro. It's my favorite summertime combo!