Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grilled Salmon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Grilled Salmon

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 am

Our Fourth of July Salmon came out perfectly last night. We took a one pound piece of skinless Atlantic Salmon fillet, painted it with lemon juice, sprinkled it with salt, white pepper, and granulated onion. We then grilled it over a chunk charcoal fire with soaked hickory chips for five minutes on each side. It melted in our mouths.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Grilled Salmon

by Carrie L. » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Carl, I often crave the taste and texture of a perfectly grilled piece of salmon. There is nothing like it.
Unfortunately, the article David R posted a link to recently, as well as other disturbing articles have put me off of the species for awhile. Can anyone think of another fish that would grill up like salmon (with the same texture profile) but without all of the fishery and farming issues?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Can anyone think of another fish that would grill up like salmon (with the same texture profile) but without all of the fishery and farming issues?

Trout?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Dave R wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Can anyone think of another fish that would grill up like salmon (with the same texture profile) but without all of the fishery and farming issues?

Trout?

Nice flavor, but all of those bones!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Dave R wrote:Trout?

Question: Where does trout come from?

Answer: A farm.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:29 pm

[quote][Question: Where does trout come from?

Answer: A farm./quote]

Not the trout I eat, we fish it from our surrounding lakes. Trout is a relative of freshwater salmon and I have found that while salmon is a richer meat, the trout has the texture similar to salmon. By the way, the lake trout we get is excellent.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Carl, I often crave the taste and texture of a perfectly grilled piece of salmon. There is nothing like it.
Unfortunately, the article David R posted a link to recently, as well as other disturbing articles have put me off of the species for awhile. Can anyone think of another fish that would grill up like salmon (with the same texture profile) but without all of the fishery and farming issues?

Wild caught never frozen Copper River salmon fillets? we are getting a couple cases of it per week at the local Sam's Club. Price? $9.88 per pound! eat your heart out West Coasters. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:09 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
Dave R wrote:Trout?

Question: Where does trout come from?

Answer: A farm.

Carl,

Some trout do come from farms (like many fish these days). Missouri has a number of those farms. However, in the 20+ years I have been eating trout, none have been from farms; but caught from lakes and streams. Rainbows, Golden, Brook, Brownies and Lake. All wild trout and not from a farm.

One of the reasons why fly fishing has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity is because of fresh water trout. Is it the same as salmon? Nope, but it is a good fresh water substitute that is not subject to ocean lice and I think that is what Carrie is looking for.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Dave R wrote:

Trout?

Nice flavor, but all of those bones!

:D Ha! Look on the bright side...Calcium! Your bones will thank you when you are 80 years old and walking 18 every day. :D