Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Martini Tomatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Martini Tomatoes

by Jenise » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:04 pm

The actual name on the Gourmet Magazine recipe was "Vodka Marinated Tomatoes with Lemon Zest" or somesuch, but when I walked a platter of these around my Fourth of July party, I called them Martini Tomatoes. The recipe was discussed on this site a long time ago, with Cynthia saying she'd had these at parties and they "flew out of the bowl". They were no less successful at my party.

What made me decide to try them was both the attraction of a healthy, raw vegetable appetizer, and the possession of three pints of a supersweet, thick-walled grape tomatoes that would be perfect for the job. They don't come out boozy--and believe me, I who detests vodka would be the first to complain. What there is, integrates well.

They are a bit of a pain to make in that blanching and peeling the tomatoes is a bit labor intensive. But this task can be done early in the day and once it's done, they can sit on the counter the rest of the day, no refrigeration required. And they're dead easy to finish and serve.

3 pints cherry tomatoes
1/2 c vodka
1/4 c white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
zest of two small or one large lemon
salt and pepper for dipping or garnish

Make marinade. Combine all ingredients except tomatoes, and set aside. The zest will flavor the vodka, and the more time the two spend together, the better your marinade.

Cut an X in the stem end of each tomato, then drop tomatoes into a pan of boiling water, 7 or 8 at a time, for about 30 seconds each. Remove to a bowl of ice water or cool flat surface to cool. Peel, and add to bowl.

Combine tomatoes and marinade at least 30 minutes before serving. I allowed an hour. The Gourmet recipe suggested serving them with toothpicks and a bowl of salt and pepper for dunking. Nice effect, but I made it one step easier to spear a tomato and go by dusting them with flaked salt before I served them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Martini Tomatoes

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 am

I like your New and Improved name for these, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:13 pm

I suppose the Vodka would kill the Salmonella?
:twisted:

Frank
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Very interesting concept! Dumb question- how do you think a shot of vermouth in the mix would work?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:53 pm

Sounds like a great summer appetizer. What does the vodka contribute to the dish? When I hear "martini" I think of gin which is rather flavorful.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:17 pm

Dave R wrote:Sounds like a great summer appetizer. What does the vodka contribute to the dish? When I hear "martini" I think of gin which is rather flavorful.

That would be my thought, and to suit my own tastes I almost used gin even though the recipe was written for vodka, and further I had to borrow the vodka since I don't stock it where I do have gin. What made me stick with original was simply thinking through how many gin drinkers I know (and who would be guests) vs. vodka martini people. And I could think of many of the latter but none of the former. What the vodka contributed? Well, an exotic sort of flavor that enhanced their sweetness. The alcohol also appeared to firm up the tomatoes slightly in a way I could see in the bowl.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov