Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mom is the best!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Mom is the best!

by Robert J. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 am

She gave me this because she bought it a long time ago and is too intimidated to use it. SCORE!

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Mom is the best!

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:26 am

Shiny! :)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:04 pm

I think that she used it once or twice.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Lucky man.

I don't have one in my kitchen, but damn well ought to. Most of my friends have them, so when I cook abroad, I avail myself.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Nice gift. I have one but do not use it as often as I would like to because I cannot figure out a way that I can easily sharpen the blade. Any ideas?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Dave R wrote:Nice gift. I have one but do not use it as often as I would like to because I cannot figure out a way that I can easily sharpen the blade. Any ideas?

I've had problems with this, too. I think there's a restaurant supply shop here that has a sharpening service the will do mandolin blades, but I have yet to give them a try.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:21 pm

I received one as a Christmas gift last year. I use it regularly. Just last night for scalloped potatoes, in fact.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I received one as a Christmas gift last year. I use it regularly. Just last night for scalloped potatoes, in fact.

Are you watching "The Next Food Network Star"? Shane probably could have used one of those for his scalloped potatoes. (I think it was Shane...) They were undercooked. I think the slices were too thick.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Are you watching "The Next Food Network Star"?

Nope. I don't have a television.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Are you watching "The Next Food Network Star"?

Nope. I don't have a television.

Oh yeah! I think I knew that.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I received one as a Christmas gift last year. I use it regularly. Just last night for scalloped potatoes, in fact.

Are you watching "The Next Food Network Star"? Shane probably could have used one of those for his scalloped potatoes. (I think it was Shane...) They were undercooked. I think the slices were too thick.

I'm watching. Hate the FN but it IS a cooking contest, kind of, so I watch, and it fills the void left by Top Chef. I believe it was Kelsey who served the undercooked scalloped potatoes (which really annoyed me. 30 minutes to prep AND cook, and she did scalloped potatoes? Not smart. What do you think of, oh I can't think of her name. Darn--the Dallas girl.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:45 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm watching. Hate the FN but it IS a cooking contest, kind of, so I watch, and it fills the void left by Top Chef. I believe it was Kelsey who served the undercooked scalloped potatoes (which really annoyed me. 30 minutes to prep AND cook, and she did scalloped potatoes? Not smart. What do you think of, oh I can't think of her name. Darn--the Dallas girl.

OMG...Lisa! I think she is channeling Posh Spice. So weird how she squints all the time. I keep wondering if the studio lights are too much for her. She is a real character. It's a fun show. It's filling the Top Chef void for me as well. The on-camera component actually lends a little drama beyond just the cooking. Not sure any of them deserve their own show, frankly. You'd think they could have come up with some better candidates.
Last edited by Carrie L. on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:50 pm

Jenise wrote:I believe it was Kelsey who served the undercooked scalloped potatoes (which really annoyed me. 30 minutes to prep AND cook, and she did scalloped potatoes?

No, it was the guy who was partnered with Jennifer (the one has a three-year-old child.) Remember they did the comfort food thing. That awful kitchen sink meatloaf that wouldn't cook in 30 minutes. I think it was Shane who did the potatoes and Jennifer did the baby carrots with honey and dill...?

I'm trying to think what Kelsey made that night. Whatever it was, I thought they liked it. Oh yea, it was the Orzo salad with lemon vinaigrette.

Edited this and the above post to attribute the quote to the proper person.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:57 pm

OMG...Lisa! I think she is channeling Posh Spice.

ROTFLOL! Lisa is something else. My Aunt had a wig just like that when she went bald in her 80's.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:35 am

Your Mom rocks Robert!! Enjoy!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Are you watching "The Next Food Network Star"? Shane probably could have used one of those for his scalloped potatoes. (I think it was Shane...) They were undercooked. I think the slices were too thick.

I stand corrected. It was Adam. Apparently he has had several problems with undercooked food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote:I believe it was Kelsey who served the undercooked scalloped potatoes (which really annoyed me. 30 minutes to prep AND cook, and she did scalloped potatoes?

No, it was the guy who was partnered with Jennifer (the one has a three-year-old child.) Remember they did the comfort food thing. That awful kitchen sink meatloaf that wouldn't cook in 30 minutes. I think it was Shane who did the potatoes and Jennifer did the baby carrots with honey and dill...?

I'm trying to think what Kelsey made that night. Whatever it was, I thought they liked it. Oh yea, it was the Orzo salad with lemon vinaigrette.

Edited this and the above post to attribute the quote to the proper person.

Hmmm...I must be remembering something from a different episode. It was one where they cooked on their own, not in pairs, and I remember Kelsey's potatoes (or other undercooked food) in a little oval crock.

But yeah, Lisa SQUINTS! And when she squints, she's fake-smiling--whatever she's thinking at those moments, it has nothing to do with smiling. And that's SO Dallas. Her extensive and expensive wardrobe amuses me too. But she CAN cook.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Your Mom rocks Robert!! Enjoy!

Yes, Maria, she does rock. I really enjoy cooking with her.

rwj
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Hmmm...I must be remembering something from a different episode. It was one where they cooked on their own, not in pairs, and I remember Kelsey's potatoes (or other undercooked food) in a little oval crock.

But yeah, Lisa SQUINTS! And when she squints, she's fake-smiling--whatever she's thinking at those moments, it has nothing to do with smiling. And that's SO Dallas. Her extensive and expensive wardrobe amuses me too. But she CAN cook.

Oh yea! I forgot about those undercooked potatoes! That was a gratin with pancetta. The pancetta was raw and floppy too. Kelcy is really cute though. I think she REALLY is as goofily sweet as she seems.

As for Lisa, she is so affected. So funny when she spilled the sauce all over herself on the boat how she happened to mention her $400 shirt and the name of her shoe brand. I was pretty impressed with the orange basil marmalade she made in like an hour.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Dave R wrote:Nice gift. I have one but do not use it as often as I would like to because I cannot figure out a way that I can easily sharpen the blade. Any ideas?

I've had problems with this, too. I think there's a restaurant supply shop here that has a sharpening service the will do mandolin blades, but I have yet to give them a try.

You can sharpen the blades on that model by using a 'draw' type sharpener similiar to the one made my Wustohof. The exact title is ceramic knife sharpener.

I use the mandoline many times and sharpen the blade by this method.
Thanks,
Mike