Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A good egg, Joe Perry!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

A good egg, Joe Perry!

by JuliaB » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Although he has been scarce, I hope Joe is looking in from time to time. I wanted to thank him for his steaming hard cooked egg technique. This past weekend, I wanted to make chipotle deviled eggs. Decided to go the 'safe' route and use the standard, traditional method: eggs in cold water brought to a boil, removed from heat, covered and allowed to stand about 15-18 minutes...then ice water bath. The blue cloud of profanity still lingers over my abode, generated as I laboriously tried to attain a smooth peel from the first half dozen. I then tried Joe Perry's steaming method. Voila'! Perfectly cooked eggs and the shells practically slid off. I will never boil again.

Thanks, Joe!

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: A good egg, Joe Perry!

by Maria Samms » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 am

Julia,

I actually was thinking about Joe recently, having talked to someone about sherry and also tasting one of my first Rioja's. I hope he is lurking out there.

Anyway, I missed Joe's egg steaming method and would be interested in learning it. Can you post it or find the original post?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 am

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks Howie! I was just searching that!

JB
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 am

I have hard-boiled literally thousands of eggs over the years in a pressure cooker. Five minutes, the shells slide off and it doesn't matter whether they're old or new.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks everyone!

Larry, I don't own a pressure cooker yet, but I will definitely try it when I get one.

There seems to be some controversey regarding the amount of time to steam the egg...Julia, how long did you steam yours for and is that the time from when you put the eggs on the stove or the time from when the eggs begin to steam? TIA!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:54 am

I'm not Julia, but I do mine in one of those pasta cookers. I put about an inch of water in the bottom and bring it to a boil. I arrange the eggs in the basket so the wider part of the egg is facing down. When the water comes to a boil, I place the basket in the pot, cover, turn down the heat to maintain a boil and cook for 20 minutes. I then remove the lid, place the pot in the sink and run cold water to overflow the pot until the eggs are cool (several minutes).

Edit following addition:
For deviled eggs, I halve the peeled eggs. I mash up the yolks with mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip - Yuk!), yellow mustard, a bit of Coleman's dry mustard powder, a dollup of fresh horseradish and a bit of kosher salt. I usually fill the egg whites using the two-spoon method, but when I want to get fancy I use a cookie press to make a spiral effect. Then I dust the tops with some paprika.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks Howie! I am going to do this today!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:24 pm

Oh WOW...I did the eggs for lunch and they were amazing. I liked the texture the best, the white was creamy and the I could easily mash the yolks for deviled eggs. Whenever I boiled eggs they came out rubbery...these were fully cooked but like silk..YUM!! Thanks guys!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 am

I tried this today, and it worked a treat!! Thanks for the recco, Jules (and for the original suggestion, Joe!).

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 am

I'm impressed! You ladies stepped up to the plate on this one! So glad it "worked a treat" (love that) for you both.

Special thanks to Howie, who obviously is not me, but is in fact my alter ego. (The good one that responds quickly when others request more information :oops: )

Cheers!
JuliaB
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Chef on Fire, page 173.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Hey, nice to see you used Joe's technique as well, Chef!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I have hard-boiled literally thousands of eggs over the years in a pressure cooker. Five minutes, the shells slide off and it doesn't matter whether they're old or new.

Larry, what pressure cooker do you use? Does it have a gauge that tells you the amount of pressure contained inside the cooking chamber. I have a 6 qt aluminum pressure cooker, but I don't think it has a gauge on it. Truth is, I inherited it from a sister a few years ago and have not tried it out yet. To tell another truth the darn thing scares me a little. :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:01 pm

If it's a fairly modern pressure cooker, no reason to be scared. They have at least one pressure relief valve, so they won't explode. I do my eggs at 15 lbs pressure, which is what the weight gives (I don't have a gauge). Instructions upon request.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:24 pm

What a concept, I am so tired of my hard boiled farm fresh eggs looking terrible after I peel them. Even with the steaming it says the eggs should be 14 days old. I will try this soon.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:23 am

celia wrote:Hey, nice to see you used Joe's technique as well, Chef!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I always have been a seer. It's nothing for me to predict in writing what someone is going to say five or six years before it occurs.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:What a concept, I am so tired of my hard boiled farm fresh eggs looking terrible after I peel them. Even with the steaming it says the eggs should be 14 days old. I will try this soon.

If you're referring to my technique, here it is (it's harder writing about it than doing it):

Bring enough water to cover eggs by about an inch to a boil in a pressure cooker. (I also throw in a splash of vinegar.) Lower the eggs into the boiling water (less chance of cracking if they've come to room temp, although I've often done them fridge cold). Secure the lid, place the 15-lb weight on the vent. Continue boiling until weight jiggles or gauge comes to 15 lbs. Turn off heat, wait 5 minutes. Run cold water over lid, remove weight, let steam escape until pressure is relieved and it's safe to open lid. Dump the water in the pressure cooker and add cold water. Now you can peel the eggs easily, new or old.