Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What Wine with this Lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

What Wine with this Lamb

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:25 am

So I'm doing my internationally famous butterflied BBQed leg of lamb this weekend for some guests (including another member of this board who shall remain nameless).

I marinate the lamb in various spices including paprika, marjoram, cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, in a lemon juice and oil rub. That gives you the flavours.

Question is - what wines should we choose (3 couples including yours truly and SWMBO, all of whom can pony up a wide range of wines)?

Despite the oriental spicing, I have found that Bordeax works beautifully, but there is a faction touting Australian wines, and there could be arguments for Rhones, American cabs etc.

If you were faced with this food, what would you bring out of the cellar?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: What Wine with this Lamb

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 am

Since you're butterflying, I'm assuming you're grilling, not actually BBQing (I know I'm fighting a losing battle, but I can't help it). :P

Bordeaux is always my "go to" with lamb. With those spices I'd also consider Northern Rhones,and Rioja (an underrated lamb match).
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:48 am

That sounds like a great piece of lamb, Bill. Last September I made a leg 'o lamb that was encrusted with a number of different herbs and spices. Not much rhyme or reason either. I kicked in Bordeaux which went very well, but my guests brought a Vranac that was a wonderful match. So maybe try a Vranac to surprise the people that are accustomed to either Bordeaux or Syrah with lamb.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:57 am

Bill,

My favorite match for anything meat with a curry type spice blend is either a right bank bordeaux or something like a Washington State Merlot. For some reason, merlot and curry (especially a grilled meat with curry spice) have been one of the most successful food/wine pairings I've had.

GL...let us kow how it goes.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 am

Dave R wrote: kicked in Bordeaux which went very well, but my guests brought a Vranac that was a wonderful match. So maybe try a Vranac to surprise the people that are accustomed to either Bordeaux or Syrah with lamb.

OK, maybe Bill knows, but this is the first time I ever remember someone offering a match where I had no clue what the wine was! What/where is Vranac?

Also, thinking about lamb/cumin/turmeric/cinnamon/lemon I think Middle Eastern, so Musar might be an idea (omigod, I'm channelling Otto!).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 am

OK, OK, you are correct, I am grilling :P

The Rioja is a good suggestion (only problem for me is that I am hosting a Spanish dinner the next night so wouldn't want to OD on Iberia).

Just checked my liquor supplier for Vranac. Oddly enough they are clean out....guess we'll have to stick to more common grapes. Interesting though.

The main reason I ask is that if I just leave it wide open, I not only miss the chance to compare several wines of the same sort, I risk the mismatch of wines - try drinking a Claret with a big Aussie Shiraz - and so the Shiraz gets relegated to the cheese and never gets to match with the lamb. Better, I think, to try and coordinate a bit.

I go to pick up Lambchop today....Image
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:08 am

Dale Williams wrote:Also, thinking about lamb/cumin/turmeric/cinnamon/lemon I think Middle Eastern, so Musar might be an idea (omigod, I'm channelling Otto!).

My very best lamb dish (the leg is my second) is a loin rubbed with similar spices, wrapped in phyllo and cooked rare. The spices go superlatively well with Bordeaux, much to the surprise of some drinkers that think it would be too highly spiced. I find this butterflied leg to be the same - the spices aren't hot, and they seem to mate well with just about any red wine.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:40 pm

We normally try to go with Shiraz/Syrah with lamb, or like last night Petite Sirah. Cabernet Sauvignon is fine if don't have anything else, but I think lamb likes a little pepper in the wine.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:00 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Dave R wrote: kicked in Bordeaux which went very well, but my guests brought a Vranac that was a wonderful match. So maybe try a Vranac to surprise the people that are accustomed to either Bordeaux or Syrah with lamb.

OK, maybe Bill knows, but this is the first time I ever remember someone offering a match where I had no clue what the wine was! What/where is Vranac?

Also, thinking about lamb/cumin/turmeric/cinnamon/lemon I think Middle Eastern, so Musar might be an idea (omigod, I'm channelling Otto!).

Dale,

I'm certainly not an expert but I believe Vranac is a full bodied red grape from Serbia and Montenegro. The one my guests brought was from Montenegro but is imported and distributed around the U.S. The wine was really interesting and its aromatics matched some of the ingredients in Bill's lamb.

Great call on the Musar. I think that would be a winner as well assuming you are talking about the red and not the white.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Bill,
This pairing challenge reminds me a lot of a recent dinner with my mother in Berkeley, where we had lamb grilled with Moroccan spices. The very astute sommelier of Rivoli and I had a long discussion about pairing: he favored Bordeaux, I thought of Syrah and we settled on Nebbiolo, which worked beautifully ('01 Sella Lessona would make old shoes taste good). Apart from those choices, I'd go with Zin of the spicier sort.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Hmm - I am torn between Trotanoy and Turley - with thoughts of Terrabianca or Tignanello.....
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Dave R wrote:I'm certainly not an expert but I believe Vranac is a full bodied red grape from Serbia and Montenegro. The one my guests brought was from Montenegro but is imported and distributed around the U.S.

Aha. I've never had a Montenegran wine (though I did read all the Nero Wolfe books). Will keep my eyes open, thanks
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Dave R wrote:I'm certainly not an expert but I believe Vranac is a full bodied red grape from Serbia and Montenegro. The one my guests brought was from Montenegro but is imported and distributed around the U.S.

Aha. I've never had a Montenegran wine (though I did read all the Nero Wolfe books). Will keep my eyes open, thanks

Dale, during a brief visit to Kotor and Vranac with lunch at a very nice restaurant on the water front, I snagged a bottle of produced by an outfit called Plantaze from a shop in town. The wine region is at the other end of what is not a very big country and Plantaze seemed to be by far the most prevalent label. It was good and also ridiculously cheap. If I remember right, the "regular" bottling we'd had a lunch went for about $2 in the store, I took a risk ;-) and splurged on the reserve for about $5. Wine in the touristed parts of Croatia is no bargain but Montenegro is still a bit off the beaten path. If you Google on "Plantaze", you'll find all kinds of info, including importer and so forth.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 pm

I agree with Carl and Mark. A spicier Zin, or a Syrah/Shiraz.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:58 pm

I love Pinotage and that was my first thought when I read this, but I didn't see that anyone mentioned it so I figured I was out in left field. I decided to do a quick google and came up with this:

http://stuffedandplastered.blogspot.com ... otage.html

Any thoughts on this?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:I love Pinotage and that was my first thought when I read this, but I didn't see that anyone mentioned it so I figured I was out in left field.

No, you aren't out in left field, but I don't happen to like Pinotage - I don't think it has any merit on it's own and I certainly don't think any of the blends are better for having it as a component. Obviously not everyone agrees with this and some people do like Pinotage, and for them your suggestion might have some usefulness. No crticism of you at all and I appreciate the suggestion, Linda.

Nothing wrong with Cape wines - syrah or cabernet with lamb, though.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:50 am

IMNSHO, Dale nailed it right out of the gate: Bordeaux, Rhone, or Rioja.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:49 am

A petite syrah would be nice.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:01 am

Robert J. wrote:A petite syrah would be nice.

It would. Sadly, the only ones I still have in the cellar are some Turleys that may not be drinkable until next decade. Toward the end.....
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:26 am

rwj

Sirah
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am

Dave R wrote:

rwj

Sirah

As in "Prithee, Sirah, woulds't thou truly open this can of worms?"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Dave R wrote:

rwj

Sirah

Yeah, whatever. :roll:

rwj
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Dave R wrote:

rwj

Sirah

Durif. :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Durif.

Think I'll save that for my Peloursin varietal tasting....(if anyone still makes wine with that varietal)
Next