Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What Wine with this Lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: What Wine with this Lamb

by Dave R » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Think I'll save that for my Peloursin varietal tasting....(if anyone still makes wine with that varietal)

You bet they still do! It is the national grape of the Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan where it is still produced and aged in new pine barrels.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Durif.

Think I'll save that for my Peloursin varietal tasting....(if anyone still makes wine with that varietal)

Last I heard, though the majority of PS was genotyped as Durif, some amount was actually Peloursin, so you'll likely get some whether you want it or not, Bill.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Well, we (Bill, Les and I) decided on Aussie Shiraz. All three of us own worthy examples and it's been awhile since anyone organized a tasting around them. And while we ate, we congratulated ourself on the choice. The wonderfully marinated, charred lamb needed the power and fruit of these big wines.

Here's a shot, though next morning I'm at a loss to explain why we only put two of the reds in the picture. The other two were the 96 E & E Black Pepper (my favorite) and a 97 Fox Creek Reserve.

Bill'sLamb2-1.JPG

In addition to Bill's excellent lamb which was served with eggplant-stuffed red and green bell peppers (great choice), we had tapas with Manzanilla--a tiny chorizo, almonds, peppers, marinated mushrooms and slices of baguette topped with a brilliant anchoiade, prepared by Bill and Swimbo. Les and Barb provided a starter course of ceviche--raw ahi tuna and hauntingly sweet, to-die-for sliced local scallops 'cooked' for just ten minutes in a lemon-onion sauce which Bill paired with a 98 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc. I should have photographed both, but to be honest I hadn't felt well and therefore avoided eating all day, and by the time we sat down to this food I was so famished I just dug in.

My contribution came next, a trio of three salads: California heirloom tomatoes with EVOO and two sea salts, a French potato and herb salad doused with white wine vinegar, EVOO, chicken broth and a Graves blanc, and a third salad of shaved fennel, garlic, slivered green beans and chopped oil-cured olives tossed with lime juice and roasted pistachio oil. All three were relatively low acid to ensure a nice showing with the wines.

SaladTrio2.JPG

Following the lamb were a cheese plate and a most excellent strawberry pie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill'sLamb2.JPG

Psst! I looked behind the curtain, and it appears that this image failed to upload. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:05 pm

Robin, thanks, it's in now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, thanks, it's in now.

And yummy it looks!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:57 pm

The lamb is one of my favourites.

Using lemon juice and oil, you make up a coating for the lamb that incudes garlic, mint, paprika, marjoram, pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, hot pepper sauce, ginger and cinnamon, and let it sit for a day before grilling it.

The end result is much more wine friendly than you might think.

Here are the bottles, and below it the recipe:
lambdinner.jpg

Spice-rubbed butterflied leg of lamb
(Bob Appetit July 2001)

Ingredients:

1/2 large onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 4 1/2- to 5-pound boneless leg of lamb, butterflied, fat and sinew trimmed

PreparationCombine first 13 ingredients in processor. Using on/off turns, process until coarse paste forms. Add oil and lemon juice and process until well blended.
Place lamb in large resealable plastic bag. Pour spice mixture over lamb; seal bag. Turn bag several times and rub spice mixture into lamb. Refrigerate overnight, turning bag occasionally.

Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Remove lamb from marinade; shake off excess. Grill lamb to desired doneness or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb registers 125°F to 130°F, for medium-rare about 15 minutes per side. Transfer lamb to cutting board. Cover with foil and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Cut lamb into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Arrange on platter and serve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 pm

PS to Jenise.

Hadn't realized until I'd posted it that the background had my homework for All Terrine Event 5 - a great cookbook called Terrine by Stephane Reynaud.

Recommended - http://www.amazon.com/Terrine-St%C3%A9phane-Reynaud/dp/0714848484/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215971824&sr=8-1
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Rioja or Ribera
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Loweeel

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

by Loweeel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:33 pm

I find that PS PairS best with my white-pepper and smoked-paprika lambsteaks (essentially, boneless leg that I trim extensively into steak like-chunks, pack in kosher salt for 30 mins to "quick dry-age") and grill up like it's steak, taking care to realize that the lamb does cook a little faster than beef.

Quixote Winery recently competed in a friendly "pairing-off" against Plumpjack to see which paired better with a particular grilled lamb dish.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Since you're butterflying, I'm assuming you're grilling, not actually BBQing (I know I'm fighting a losing battle, but I can't help it). :P

Bordeaux is always my "go to" with lamb. With those spices I'd also consider Northern Rhones,and Rioja (an underrated lamb match).

Keep up the good fight.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
Previous