Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Collapsible Colanders

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Collapsible Colanders

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:07 am

Does anyone else hate these!

A few weeks ago my little, one-quart, yellow, plastic tupperware hand strainer (about 15 yrs old) finally gave up the ghost. The center cracked and fell out. I figured it was time to get a new one, but I couldn't find it at any store. So I ended purchasing one of these collapsible strainers. They are made of silcone and boast "easy storage" and more room in the dishwasher. The only problem is they have no base so you have to let them strain over the pot. This is a problem for me because most of the time I use the same pot to build a quick sauce while my pasta strains over the sink. If you put the strainer down on the counter, it collapses and all the pasta comes rolling out. What a nightmare.

I ended up finding some tupperware strainers on E-bay. I hate when they stop making useful items! Anyone else have any experiences with these new colanders? What do you think?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Collapsible Colanders

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 am

Maria, I haven't seen or tried such a thing, but thanks for the warning. I won't be trying one now! :)
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:02 pm

This is the one I have Robin:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13912319

It looks like only the hand strainers are an issue...I see the bigger ones come with bases or side stands (not sure that they would save on space with side stands though).
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:43 pm

We've been using a stacking set of three free standing stainless steel strainers as colinders for decades. Can't be be beat. They are widely available.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Find a Tupperware Lady and turn it in! They have a lifetime warranty.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:35 pm

we replaced an old colander with two of the collapsible ones. One is a handheld, the big one has arms that extend to over sink, like this one:
http://www.chefcentral.com/product1.asp ... ct_ID=4283

I've generally found them useful, and the storage helps in our small kitchen (and since they fold up so all surfaces are exposed, you can also put them in dishwasher without crowding). My one complaint would be that the ones we have seem to have a little less hole to solid ratio than our old plastic ones (we stll have one), so maybe drains a touch slower.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Find a Tupperware Lady and turn it in! They have a lifetime warranty.

Howie, I am not sure that if it were me that I would even want to deal with the Tupperware lady. Aren't they the ones that are always wanting you to throw a Tupperware party and invite all your soon to be former friends? :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Maria Samms wrote:This is the one I have Robin:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13912319

It looks like only the hand strainers are an issue...I see the bigger ones come with bases or side stands (not sure that they would save on space with side stands though).

Maria, is the one in the link the kind you would like to have?

http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_ ... 0055961000
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:46 pm

No Bob...the one in the link above is the one I bought as the replacement. Tupperware no longer makes their plastic yellow hand strainers...only these collapsible thing-a-mijighies.

Here a pic of my old beloved...which I have replaced with the same one I bought on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tupperware-Small-Yellow-Strainer-Colander_W0QQitemZ350075765610QQihZ022QQcategoryZ13935QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:48 pm

I've got one of those. I also have one of these: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hsh/746705185.html. Alton Brown recommends it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.