Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

For the "bacontelligentsia" and bacon addicts alike...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

For the "bacontelligentsia" and bacon addicts alike...

by Dave R » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:35 pm

edited per complaint from David Bueker

"For Ari Weinzweig, the co-founder of Zingerman's, an upscale deli and mail-order food business in Ann Arbor, Mich., the answer is boom. He wrote (in the current issue of his very literate monthly newsletter), "If you were to ask me next what single ingredient is going to alter American cooking in the next decade as olive oil did in the last, I'd put big bucks on bacon."

To read more, click below...

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/07/10/long_live_bacon/
Last edited by Dave R on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: For the "bacontelligentsia" and bacon addicts alike...

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 am

Dave - a link is more appropriate for copyrighted material. We should not be putting it up wholesale. Please edit down to maybe a paragraph or two to get the feel of the ariticle. Thanks!

Here's the link: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/07/10/long_live_bacon/
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:54 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Dave - a link is more appropriate for copyrighted material. We should not be putting it up wholesale. Please edit down to maybe a paragraph or two to get the feel of the ariticle. Thanks!

Here's the link: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/07/10/long_live_bacon/

Sorry David! I thought as long as the author was credited it was ok to post as is. I'm relatively new here and do not know all of the unwritten laws on this board. I will not make the same mistake again though! :oops: :oops:
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 am

Dave,

No problem at all. All I would ask is that you edit your post to a short excerpt. If you have trouble doing that just let me know & I can help you.

I will also put something up about the policy so that all our new folks can see what the rules are.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 am

Yawn. Peter needs a life.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks Dave!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:21 pm

I wonder if this is simply a trend that will soon die out. While I love bacon, I think it is one of those foods that I could quickly grow tired of. I use it two ways, bacon and tomato sandwiches and bacon and eggs. I've never cared for it much wrapped around figs or fillets or anything. I guess, with me, bacon has it's place either with a tomato or an egg! :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I wonder if this is simply a trend that will soon die out. While I love bacon, I think it is one of those foods that I could quickly grow tired of. I use it two ways, bacon and tomato sandwiches and bacon and eggs. I've never cared for it much wrapped around figs or fillets or anything. I guess, with me, bacon has it's place either with a tomato or an egg! :lol:

Karen, what about the Italian classic, Bucatini alla Amatriciana (which, coincidentally, I'm making for dinner tonight)?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:29 pm

What about bacon toffee, bacon pizza, bacon bacon & bacon sandwiches?

Mmm...bacon...
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Karen, what about the Italian classic, Bucatini alla Amatriciana (which, coincidentally, I'm making for dinner tonight)?[/quote]

I love that dish. I use Mario Batali's recipe. This bacon thread is timely. I have some baking in the oven right now. BLT is on the menu for lunch!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What about bacon toffee, bacon pizza, bacon bacon & bacon sandwiches?

Mmm...bacon...

Bacon candy: Almond-stuffed date wrapped with bacon and baked in the oven. Yum...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:21 pm

How about a BLT pizza?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:30 pm

I've always liked the idea of BLT pizza, but the lettuce thing never works out. You can't bake the pizza wit hthe lettuce, and if it goes on afterwards it's too blah & dominates with its blahness.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I've always liked the idea of BLT pizza, but the lettuce thing never works out. You can't bake the pizza wit hthe lettuce, and if it goes on afterwards it's too blah & dominates with its blahness.

David, the BLT pizza I make at home foes into the oven with tomato sauce, fresh tomato, several cheeses, sometimes whole roasted garlic cloves, and pre-cooked bacon. When it comes out, on top goes cold romaine tossed with a vinaigrette of oil, vinegar, salt and crushed fresh garlic. Nothing blah there!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Jenise wrote:David, the BLT pizza I make at home foes into the oven with tomato sauce, fresh tomato, several cheeses, sometimes whole roasted garlic cloves, and pre-cooked bacon. When it comes out, on top goes cold romaine tossed with a vinaigrette of oil, vinegar, salt and crushed fresh garlic. Nothing blah there!

It would be less like a BLT, but I'm thinking that radicchio might be really good here.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:41 pm

TraciM wrote:This bacon thread is timely. I have some baking in the oven right now. BLT is on the menu for lunch!

Tomatoes are IN in the Ohio Valley! Our garden just started producing, and we had our first BLTs of the season on the traditional first-tomato day, July 4. :)

(Actually, we've been getting Romas for a couple of weeks, but you can't make much of a BLT with Romas. ;) )
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:18 pm

YUM BACON...definitely one of my favorite food groups. Jenise, that pizza sounds fabulous!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What about bacon toffee, bacon pizza, bacon bacon & bacon sandwiches?

Mmm...bacon...

Mmm is right!! I love bacon and cheese sandwiches with mayo. :D
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:28 pm

BLT Dip

4 slices bacon
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 c each: mayo and Greek yogurt
1/4 c argula, chopped
1/4 teastpoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered

Place the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat; cook, turning until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plated lined with a paper towel. Combine the onions, mayonnaise, yogurt, arugula, salt and pepper to taste in a food processor; pulse until chunky, about 5 times. Transfer to a medium bowl. Crumble the bacon into the bowl; stir into the mayonnaise mixture. Stir in the tomatoes.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I wonder if this is simply a trend that will soon die out. While I love bacon, I think it is one of those foods that I could quickly grow tired of. I use it two ways, bacon and tomato sandwiches and bacon and eggs. I've never cared for it much wrapped around figs or fillets or anything. I guess, with me, bacon has it's place either with a tomato or an egg! :lol:

Karen, what about the Italian classic, Bucatini alla Amatriciana (which, coincidentally, I'm making for dinner tonight)?

I guess I don't think of pancetta as a bacon although I have heard it called "the Italian bacon". I use it to make an Arrabbiata Sauce, that is wonderful over Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Shells. Are you using pancetta or regular bacon in you Amatriciana?