Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food match with 1985 Huet Moelleux?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Food match with 1985 Huet Moelleux?

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:42 am

I plan to open a 1985 Huet CdB moelleux tonight both for dinner and for after dinner.

It might be a touch sweet for the meal but I'll need to open it before dinner anyway (curiosity/breathing time).

Any ideas of what dishes might go well or actually make some sort of pleasant marriage with the wine? Even if it is 'best' on its own.

Was thinking potentially of lentils with perhaps some nuts and maybe some dried fruits of some sort.

But, no foie gras. Remember, I don't eat meat although seafood, fish, and dairy are ok.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Food match with 1985 Huet Moelleux?

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:05 am

Having recently done such a tasting, I'd say that the sweeter wines are really best served on their own.

With the possible exception of the foie gras, I can't think of any food that would make the wine experience better, though there are lots that would modify your experience of the wine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 am

I'm with Bill on having great sweet wines without accompaniment, but as a halfway serious option, have you considered trying it at a Japanese place that has very fresh ankimo, monkfish liver, a.k.a. "foie gras of the sea"? Certainly not identical to the goose/duck variety, but it has a similar richness and texture, neither fishy nor livery, and might be very interesting with the Huet.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:but as a halfway serious option, have you considered trying it at a Japanese place that has very fresh ankimo, monkfish liver, a.k.a. "foie gras of the sea"?

Interesting idea.

I've also gotten recommendations for grilled tuna and grilled octopus, and while I don't think I'll be going out to dinner tonight (and I won't be buying monkfish liver for consumption at home), that is a very interesting idea for the future.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Rahsaan,

Given that the 2005 we shared was not all that sweet I wonder how sweet the 1985 will really be.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Given that the 2005 we shared was not all that sweet I wonder how sweet the 1985 will really be.

Yes, given the age I'm not expecting anything too overpowering and I think it could 'work' with the right dish. As far as perceived sweetness, I'm expecting something like a classic young spatlese, something I'm familiar with cooking for with good results. However, given the aged profile of the flavors, the same dish won't necessarily work.

Considering my time and shopping limitations, the 'grilled' tuna suggested elsewhere might be the best bet.

Or, depending on how it shows after opening, I may open a 375 of red wine for the meal :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Having recently done such a tasting, I'd say that the sweeter wines are really best served on their own.

With the possible exception of the foie gras, I can't think of any food that would make the wine experience better, though there are lots that would modify your experience of the wine.

Bill, remember when Manny paired my 95 Cuvee Constance with a salad of rosettes of belgian endive and lox, made by breaking apart the small heads and 'glueing' them back together with lox between the leaves? A light and non-tart vinaigrette was drizzled over that involved some type of citrus instead of vinegar. It was a BRILLIANT match period, but even more so since Manny didn't know I was bringing the Constance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Yup, I do. There is something about having a bit of salt with a sweetish wine that seems to work and the presentation of that salmon was superb.

I guess if you can't have foie gras (sob!), you could try something like that with the moelleux.

And don't forget, as David said, it may not be very sweet at all. I hauled out a bottle of 1983 Auslese recently (sorry you weren't at that one, Jenise) that no one could figure out - these wines lose some of their sweetness with age.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:37 pm

No foie gras, but I was able to execute the tuna plan, with a delicious sweet corn, onion confit, and lime puree, which was a nice match.

The wine itself is delicious - as you all know - but man does it need air to open up! Still has a solid core of sweetness, although mellowing, and with such brisk acidity this has no problem matching with food. IMHO.

That said, the flavors are also fun to savor afterwards..
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Yum to both the food and the wine. Let's do a Chenin fest when you're in the area.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Let's do a Chenin fest when you're in the area.

Yes!

And my wife actually liked this one (unlike the 71 Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese that she almost spat out in disgust), so there is hope for aged white wines in the family yet!

Although of course am not sure I should call this 'aged' as it is probably only starting to consider becoming mature, one day..
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Rahsaan - does your wife like young German Riesling? If so she can hang with my wife while we drink something appropriately aged.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:21 pm

This was an interesting thread, Rahsaan. Thanks. I never would have considered grilled tuna but it sure does sound good.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Rahsaan - does your wife like young German Riesling?

She does. And right now she prefers it to aged German riesling. Although even that she tires of relatively quickly (unlike us professionals :wink: ).

Right now the only thing that really grabs her interest for more than 1 or 2 glasses is a rich full bodied red wine.

But, I'm working on it. And this 85 Huet was a start :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:I never would have considered grilled tuna but it sure does sound good.

I should also mention that everything was set off very nicely by grating a bunch of turmeric into the puree. It did a great job of emphasizing the fine spice notes of the wine along with the nutty elements that are slowly peaking out as the wine gets richer with air. It was a good match.