Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hilarious new product for garlic haters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Hilarious new product for garlic haters

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:57 pm

I just got this news release in Email. I'll ignore it, although I'm tempted to send back a snide remark ...

Love garlic and onions, but don't love the bad breath and tummy discomfort they leave behind? Bon Mange's product, Monjay, is a tasteless yeast-like granule that, when sprinkled over the offending food, prevents the formation of socially embarrassing and personally discomforting odors and gases.

Please see the release below and let me know if you would you like us to send a sample for you to try on your next garlic dish? Please provide your address in an email if you would like a sample.

Any foodies out there want some of this? :D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Hilarious new product for garlic haters

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm going to give this a try, Robin. I love garlic, but some chemical reaction makes my breath very offensive to at least one very important person in my life. So, I generally avoid a favorite ingredient. I've tried another product with the same claim without any measurable success.

The literature on the product has another interesting thought:

Stability

Monjay is inactivated by excessive heat, such as cooking or being sprinkled on food right from the stove. Monjay is also sensitive to the oxygen and moisture in the air. In order to protect it from oxygen each bottle of Monjay contains two small packets of an oxygen absorber. The packets' capacity for binding oxygen is sufficient to remove the oxygen from the air which enters the bottle as Monjay is removed. The oxygen absorber is not a health threat. In order to preserve the oxygen-free environment in the Monjay bottle it is important to keep the bottle tightly closed between uses and to pour Monjay from the bottle and not attempt to squeeze it out. To insure the best bottle closure after using Monjay the cap and the bottle rim should be tapped free of residual product. Monjay stores well at room temperature, on the table, in a purse, or in a pocket.

I'm wondering if an oxygen absorber could be placed in a partially opened bottle of wine to prevent oxidation during storage?

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Bob, I want you to teach me that trick - the one where you partially open a bottle of wine. :D
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I'm going to give this a try, Robin. I love garlic, but some chemical reaction makes my breath very offensive to at least one very important person in my life. So, I generally avoid a favorite ingredient. I've tried another product with the same claim without any measurable success.
Best, Bob

Bob, Len and I both love garlic but we have a pact that we either eat it together or not at all. :)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:03 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Bob, Len and I both love garlic but we have a pact that we either eat it together or not at all. :)

Mary once took a redeye flight home (when we lived in NYC) from Seattle after having enjoyed a whole head of roasted garlic for dinner.

She couldn't figure out why her seatmates kept leaving. And when she got off the plane to meet me, she just about brought me to my knees. :D

So you're right: Sharing is best.

(My doctor once gave me a quick exam after having enjoyed a garlicky lunch, too. He's a great guy, but that was a little bit much ... )
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:Bob, Len and I both love garlic but we have a pact that we either eat it together or not at all. :)

Mary once took a redeye flight home (when we lived in NYC) from Seattle after having enjoyed a whole head of roasted garlic for dinner.

She couldn't figure out why her seatmates kept leaving. And when she got off the plane to meet me, she just about brought me to my knees. :D

So you're right: Sharing is best.

(My doctor once gave me a quick exam after having enjoyed a garlicky lunch, too. He's a great guy, but that was a little bit much ... )

:shock:
As I said, I do love garlic, but the scenarios you mention above make me a little fearful of eating too much of it. Hey, maybe I'm the perfect candidate for that new product!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:26 pm

The odd thing is that Janet's breath is just fine when she eats garlic. So we have a pact -- no salt for Janet, no garlic for Bob.

Adds a bit of challenge to my cooking, and if we're apart, I'm in garlic heaven.

Best, Bob