Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yet another use for Chef Carey's dry rub

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Yet another use for Chef Carey's dry rub

by Howie Hart » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:02 am

I was at a bar in Lewiston, NY (a small town on the Niagara River, just below the Escarpment) last night, listening to my favorite Blues Band and had a hankering for some wings, so I ordered a single portion of Hot (as in Buffalo style). The waitress said "We don't have "Hot" wings, we only serve BBQ and "House Dip". I was totally confused. Not only did they not serve Buffalo style wings, just 40 mile from Buffalo, but I don't care for BBQ wings and what the hell are house dip wings? The waitress informed me they had dry seasonings on them. I took a gamble and ordered the house dip. They were very good, especially when I topped the last few with Frank's Hot Sauce. They were very crispy and meaty and the flavors were very similar to Chef Carey's Dry Rub, with a bit of sugar added for a very slight hint of sweetness. I'm thinking that perhaps there may have been a bit of flour also, which enhanced the crispiness. The other alternate use I discovered for the dry rub a while ago is to use it in the water when cooking rice.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Yet another use for Chef Carey's dry rub

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Yeah, Howie, I use the rub on my "Cajun Wings." My boys love them.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT