Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pressure cooking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Pressure cooking

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:25 pm

So my wife was visiting a friend of hers in Boston recently and was quite impressed with her friend's use of a pressure cooker. She had a leftover gift certificate from a local cookware store, so we are now in possession of a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic pressure cooker. It's been about 25 years since I've used one, so I'm starting to look for good uses for the thing. I think I'll try a caponata for the maiden voyage, but I was wondering if any of you have anything in particular that you cook in one of these things.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Pressure cooking

by Howie Hart » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09 pm

See the thread on hard-boiled eggs - that's what Larry uses. I tried it but prefer Joe Perry's method. Brown rice in 15 minutes. Dry Beans in 20 minutes. Soups. I have a friends who cook ribs in them, then put them on the grill.
Here is a great link: Miss Vickie's Guide to Modern Pressure Cookery
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks for the link, Howie! Lots to explore there.

The caponata is done and smells pretty good.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:02 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote: but I was wondering if any of you have anything in particular that you cook in one of these things.

One of the dishes I cook using an Italian pressure cooker is spicy mixed beans and lentils (Dal). They cook quickly and develop a creamy texture which enhances the dish.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:15 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:So my wife was visiting a friend of hers in Boston recently and was quite impressed with her friend's use of a pressure cooker. She had a leftover gift certificate from a local cookware store, so we are now in possession of a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic pressure cooker. It's been about 25 years since I've used one, so I'm starting to look for good uses for the thing. I think I'll try a caponata for the maiden voyage, but I was wondering if any of you have anything in particular that you cook in one of these things.

I've been wanting to buy one myself, Mike. My mother used one when I was a child, and though she really only used it for one thing, it did that one thing extremely well: steamed artichokes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:So my wife was visiting a friend of hers in Boston recently and was quite impressed with her friend's use of a pressure cooker. She had a leftover gift certificate from a local cookware store, so we are now in possession of a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic pressure cooker. It's been about 25 years since I've used one, so I'm starting to look for good uses for the thing. I think I'll try a caponata for the maiden voyage, but I was wondering if any of you have anything in particular that you cook in one of these things.

I've been wanting to buy one myself, Mike. My mother used one when I was a child, and though she really only used it for one thing, it did that one thing extremely well: steamed artichokes.

We'll see how it works out. A girlfriend of mine had one that used years ago. I wasn't impressed as it seemed to burn the bottom layer of anything we cooked in it. This one has a thick aluminum base, so I'm hoping I won't have that problem.

The caponata turned out all right but a little bland. I think the recipe (which was from a booklet that came with the cooker) needs some major work.

- Julia Child