Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Smoked salmon - day 3 part one

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Smoked salmon - day 3 part one

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:22 am

After 24 to 48 hours on cure in refer you wash the fillets removing 90 % of the cure. The fillet has shed weight and moisture.
salmon7.jpg

Then dry the fillets on racks (Pam) until a thin skin forms to seal the fillet. About 1 hour.
salmon8.jpg

Place fillets in the smoker. Ours is a double decker affair with plenty of room.
salmon-9.jpg

Then 5 hours on mesquite, alder and hickory. This is a cold smoke measuring about 95-100 degrees. More on this when I finish.
salmon10.jpg
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Smoked salmon - day 3 part one

by Jenise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Mike, one reason for me to consider buying another and different type of smoker would be the ability to get the translucence I suspect you're going to get on your truly cold smoked salmon. We have trouble keeping our propane smoker in the 150-200 degree range, which delivers a more opaque, cooked result.

We're going to smoke a bunch of fish in the next couple days.

Looking forward to Day 3 part two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Re: Smoked salmon - day 3 part one

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike, one reason for me to consider buying another and different type of smoker would be the ability to get the translucence I suspect you're going to get on your truly cold smoked salmon. We have trouble keeping our propane smoker in the 150-200 degree range, which delivers a more opaque, cooked result.

We're going to smoke a bunch of fish in the next couple days.

Looking forward to Day 3 part two.

I cold smoke it to begin the process but for safety reasons I finish by actually cooking it all the way. So I dont get the opaque product. What I do get is a mouthfull of smoked flavor better than anything that I have purchased. Some people that have shared this salmon say its the best they have had in the area. We like it and its fun to take on the challenge.
Thanks,
Mike