Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rewarming leftover pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Rewarming leftover pizza

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:21 am

Microwaving leftover pizza makes it soggy. Warming up an oven takes time and uses a lot of energy for a slice or two of pizza.

I've started reheating pizza on top of my stove. I warm up a round cast-iron flat griddle (any pan would work), place a slice of pizza on it and cover it with an inverted skillet (any loosely fitted lid would work). After a couple of minutes I have pizza with a crisp crust and warm on top. Why didn't I think of this sooner?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Rewarming leftover pizza

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 am

My compromise: A good toaster oven. Put the pizza slices right on the rack and bake around 400F til it bubbles. The toaster oven (an old but robust DeLonghi) doesn't seem like it uses anything near as much power as the real oven.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:58 am

I heat mine up in the microwave just until the cheese warms. Hey, pizza is wonderful cold too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Microwaving leftover pizza makes it soggy. Warming up an oven takes time and uses a lot of energy for a slice or two of pizza.

I've started reheating pizza on top of my stove. I warm up a round cast-iron flat griddle (any pan would work), place a slice of pizza on it and cover it with an inverted skillet (any loosely fitted lid would work). After a couple of minutes I have pizza with a crisp crust and warm on top. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Great solution. I tend to do like Robin does but have to admit that sometimes the cheese drips, and that's a problem. I'd rather clean your griddle than my toaster oven!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:06 pm

I use a slow oven with a loose foil wrap, if I wanted reheated. But I have to admit one of my favorite snacks is good old cold pizza !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:I use a slow oven with a loose foil wrap, if I wanted reheated. But I have to admit one of my favorite snacks is good old cold pizza !!

Me, too. Rarely does my leftover pizza survive to see the light of the toaster oven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Me, too. Rarely does my leftover pizza survive to see the light of the toaster oven.

I guess it's time for another of those "I'm weird" confessions. I love, love, love pizza, but it must be sizzling with the cheese molten and the crust crispy. Cold pizza has never appealed to me at all.

Is there something wrong with me? ;)
no avatar
User

Randy P

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Oro Valley, AZ

by Randy P » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:43 pm

I do it in the toaster oven, toast cycle, medium setting, comes out crispy and hot. -RP
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 pm

Yes, there is, but that's not it. Cold pizza is (to me) revolting.

My toaster oven actually has a "pizza" setting. It also has two levels, so I put the pizza on the upper level and a foil-covered rack on the lower level to catch any drips.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Me, too. Rarely does my leftover pizza survive to see the light of the toaster oven.

I guess it's time for another of those "I'm weird" confessions. I love, love, love pizza, but it must be sizzling with the cheese molten and the crust crispy. Cold pizza has never appealed to me at all.

Nothing wrong with you at all. I find cold pizza gross, too.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Nothing wrong with you at all. I find cold pizza gross, too.

I join you two. In fact, I'm with you Robin--I don't even like it lukewarm. Must be burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth hot.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Actually the George Foreman Grill works too. Just don't close the top.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Yes.

FWIW, I don't have a toaster oven.

My friend says his son sometimes cooks (not reheats) frozen pizza in a microwave. He says he likes it that way. My friend accuses him of just being lazy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Of course not! If I'm going to reheat pizza, then it has to be exactly as you describe. In fact, many pizzas are actually better reheated to this standard than they were originally. But I love cold pizza too--which I attribute to a childhood of eating leftovers for breakfast since I wouldn't eat traditional breakfast food.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Microwaving leftover pizza makes it soggy. Warming up an oven takes time and uses a lot of energy for a slice or two of pizza.

Larry, I think that idea is brilliant. That's the way I do pitas when I make Gyros, but I add a little olive oil to the pan first.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:19 pm

:oops: I just might get a Nobel Prize out of it.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

I do a combination of the microwave and the oven. The microwave heats the toppings, but the crust is too soggy for me. If I rewarm the pizza on a stone in a 500 oven, the crust over cooks before the toppings are hot. So, I wave the pizza until the toppings are hot, but not quite ready, then throw it on the stone in the oven for about 2 minutes and the pizza comes out with molten toppings and a perfectly crisp crust.

G
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Am I the only one who throws it under the broiler in a gas range for a few minutes?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Not having a gas oven, I can't exactly do that. And having high electricity rates, I can't justify warming up those big ol' elements just for a couple of slices.

Does the bottom get warm that way?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Does the bottom get warm that way?

Yes. I turn the broiler on for a minute before I put the pizza in. The grate it sits on is hot from the flame when I put the slice on it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Toaster oven here.

And I too hate cold pizza.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Wow - cold pizza must be one of those genetic things. Either you have the cold pizza gene or you don't.

Personally, I like it a lot.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Larry Greenly wrote::oops: I just might get a Nobel Prize out of it.

Would that be the highl coveted Nobel Pizza Prize?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 pm

We microwave it, which is always unsatisfactory-- but now I'll definitely use a preheated iron skillet instead. Makes perfect sense.
And I also detest cold pizza.
Next