Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Eggplant Something Or Other / Garbanzo Bean Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Eggplant Something Or Other / Garbanzo Bean Salad

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:26 pm

Jenise wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:You are absolutely correct with the tomato cooking times. I enjoy a touch more acidic, herbal tomato sauce. The fennel, by the way, I throw into the vegetarian preparation to mimic the inclusion of Italian sausage.

We have similar tastes--I never make a marinara without fennel seed. I know some cooks that don't even stock this ingredient, but I couldn't live without it.

As to the layers, well, we probably used the same lavosh from TJ's, i.e. there were about six sheets in a recloseable plastic bag so it shouldn't be that. How liquidy was your sauce? For this kind of thing and pizza as well mine has the consistency of loose tomato paste. In other words, it doesn't soak into the lavosh.

We did use the same lavosh. Sauce? Fairly thick--I knew it would have to be. I added about half a cup of broth at the getgo to loosen it up, but that evapped out over the long cooking time as intended. There was absolutely no juice running around the bottom of my dish the way I see in Cynthia's picture of yours. Oh, and it was cold room temp, too, not hot, which would also make a difference--I cooked the sauce early in the day and it just sat on the stove until assembly time. It wasn't even vaguely warm.

So--I don't know! By my calculations, I did everything right. It must come down to the extended warming time and possibly the age of my bread. I bought it last Wednesday, used it this Wednesday, and if it was a week old when I bought it, that would be a factor.

Odd, I guess I'll have to try it again and see what results! When I spread the sauce onto the lavosh, it was still quite hot as I made it as I was frying the eggplant. Now, I didn't use wet mozzarella; rather, the dry whole milk stuff which you can get at TJ's. Did you use wet and maybe add a touch of liquid? Just a WAG.
And now what?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:30 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Who cares about the guy?

You should ..... as my dearly departed grandmother said to me on a regular basis ..... "one should always look after oneself".

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I'm trying to figure out which one is Cynthia. Actual photos of her are quite rare.

Try this! But from a very good intelligence source, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle, "black"?

http://www.wineloverspage.com/chat/

And Stud, I know the photo was taken years and years ago, but eh, you're right, they (the photos) are few and far between.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:43 pm

I am glad my personal life is providing so much entertainment for so many. As my father used to say, "I'm providing a public service. While you are busy talking about me, you are leaving everyone else alone!" ;)

Now here is a photo from years ago:

That face obscuring lighting is almost worthy of the lovely JuliaB! :D
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Who cares about the guy? I'm trying to figure out which one is Cynthia. Actual photos of her are quite rare.

True, true ... it really should be all about the eggplant and the other good stuff consumed that day. I could go for a few more crostini with the heirloom 'maters right about now.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Odd, I guess I'll have to try it again and see what results! When I spread the sauce onto the lavosh, it was still quite hot as I made it as I was frying the eggplant. Now, I didn't use wet mozzarella; rather, the dry whole milk stuff which you can get at TJ's. Did you use wet and maybe add a touch of liquid? Just a WAG.

No help there! Didn't use mozz at all, used provolone because I had some on hand.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I am glad my personal life is providing so much entertainment for so many. As my father used to say, "I'm providing a public service. While you are busy talking about me, you are leaving everyone else alone!" ;)

I feel a major roasting coming on in a little under 24 hours .... and multiple ejections ..... and, of course, I deserve it ...... probably better I just turn up anymore. :oops:

Cynthia Wenslow wrote: Now here is a photo from years ago:

That face obsuring lighting is almost worthy of the lovely JuliaB! :D

Thanks for the lovely photo, I'll cherish it for the rest of my days.

Sorry, if I've upset anybody.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:20 pm

David Lole wrote:Sorry, if I've upset anybody.

Don't be silly, luv. Cynthia and Stuart know you're only teasing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary, do you think your recipe would work with bread other than lavosh? Say a flat bread or something? Or do you think it needs to be crisp and dry? I'm wondering if you could do something similar with tortillas...

PS. Cynth, you look like Liz in that shot! :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 pm

celia wrote:Gary, do you think your recipe would work with bread other than lavosh? Say a flat bread or something? Or do you think it needs to be crisp and dry? I'm wondering if you could do something similar with tortillas...

C, using the lavosh was a spontaneous decision. I saw it in the store and simply decided to use it and this is my only experience with this recipe. I imagine tortillas would work fine, kind of like an enchilada casserole. Jenise tried my recipe and her lavosh dissolved so I dunno. Just try it and see. I imagine a long enough baking time, e.g. something like 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes open, would make a difference.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:33 pm

The eggplant in the dish makes it reminiscent of moussaka to me (only without the potatoes). I love dishes with layers of carbs baked into them, be it potato, or pasta, or bread, or even rice! Thanks for the idea, hope you don't mind if I improvise a bit? :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:45 pm

That thought struck me, too. I was planning on trying this, but using more Greek spices and herbs. I wonder if a brush of olive oil on the lavosh before stacking might provide a moisture barrier?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:That thought struck me, too. I was planning on trying this, but using more Greek spices and herbs. I wonder if a brush of olive oil on the lavosh before stacking might provide a moisture barrier?

That sounds reasonable.

Celia wrote:The eggplant in the dish makes it reminiscent of moussaka to me (only without the potatoes). I love dishes with layers of carbs baked into them, be it potato, or pasta, or bread, or even rice! Thanks for the idea, hope you don't mind if I improvise a bit?

As long as I get some leftovers, I am happy with whatever you create.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:That thought struck me, too. I was planning on trying this, but using more Greek spices and herbs. I wonder if a brush of olive oil on the lavosh before stacking might provide a moisture barrier?

Exactly what I'm planning to do on Eggplant Something Or Other II. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
celia wrote:Gary, do you think your recipe would work with bread other than lavosh? Say a flat bread or something? Or do you think it needs to be crisp and dry? I'm wondering if you could do something similar with tortillas...

C, using the lavosh was a spontaneous decision. I saw it in the store and simply decided to use it and this is my only experience with this recipe. I imagine tortillas would work fine, kind of like an enchilada casserole. Jenise tried my recipe and her lavosh dissolved so I dunno. Just try it and see. I imagine a long enough baking time, e.g. something like 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes open, would make a difference.

A caution: tortillas would dissolve too if not softened with oil first.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks, J. Noted! I thought you were meant to be painting the pergola? ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Previous