Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Wok charred long beans with olives

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Wok charred long beans with olives

by Jenise » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:18 pm

The recipe below appeared in a recent issue of Saveur in an article called Around the World in 80 Dinners. This one was attributed to a Hong Kong restaurant, where the author(s) were "at once intrigued and baffled by its use of black olives". They claim it's a little known but traditional Chinese ingredient, which is the first I've heard of same and which you couldn't prove by the month I spent in China two years ago. But no matter--it's a great dish. I made it recently, leaving out the ground pork and including a larger amount of crumbled firm tofu.

1 1⁄2 lbs. long beans
3 tbsp. canola oil
4 oz. ground pork
2 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. minced ginger
1 Thai chile, minced
1⁄3 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp. Chinese black or
balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1⁄2 lb. dry-cured black olives
halved and pitted

1. Trim and cut beans into 2"-long pieces. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add beans; cook until crisp-tender, 1–2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer beans to a bowl of ice water; chill. Drain beans.

2. Heat oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; break into small pieces. Cook pork until browned, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pork to a plate, leaving fat in skillet.

3. Raise heat to high; add beans and cook, without stirring, until hot, about 2 minutes. Toss beans; cook, without stirring, until caramelized, 1 minute more.

4. Add garlic, ginger, and chiles; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, vinegar, and soy sauce; cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add olives and reserved pork; cook for 1 minute more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Wok charred long beans with olives

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Jenise,
I had tofu in Hawaii and found it to be awful. I know that it takes on the flavor of the foods it is mixed with but how do you get past the texture. I recall it as being a waxy glob.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise,
I had tofu in Hawaii and found it to be awful. I know that it takes on the flavor of the foods it is mixed with but how do you get past the texture. I recall it as being a waxy glob.

I love the flavor and texture of tofu, but I can't tell you how I learned to love it. It's something I didn't even try until I'd been "grown up" a long time, so there was no prior familiarity. I just did--but it was probably served to me in the most pleasant possible way for me to accept it. Whereas if you had it in a way that doesn't work for you (like me and yoghurt--not happening, never, no way) there might not be any overcoming it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:27 pm

Karen, there is no one "texture" to tofu. It ranges anywhere from barely pudding to soft cheese to firm curd, to chewy/leathery. When deep-fried, it can get a marvelous chewy exterior and soft interior. If you get down to SF and can eat at Slanted Door, their Lemongrass Tofu dish has converted many people to the wonders of this ingredient.

Jenise, I wonder if this dish originally might have used some other salty preserved product, then was adapted to olives as they became available there (much like the adoption of green peppers, tomatoes, and the like). I've never seen olives in China, though admittedly I've only been there three or four times.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:31 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Jenise, I wonder if this dish originally might have used some other salty preserved product, then was adapted to olives as they became available there (much like the adoption of green peppers, tomatoes, and the like). I've never seen olives in China, though admittedly I've only been there three or four times.

You're onto something--the authors of the article compared the olive effect to that of salted dried shrimp, an ingredient that might have been more traditional or commonplace in this dish.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:23 pm

I love the flavor and texture of tofu, but I can't tell you how I learned to love it. It's something I didn't even try until I'd been "grown up" a long time, so there was no prior familiarity. I just did--but it was probably served to me in the most pleasant possible way for me to accept it. Whereas if you had it in a way that doesn't work for you (like me and yoghurt--not happening, never, no way) there might not be any overcoming it.Jenise

The next time you are in Trader Joe's, look for Fage Greek Yogurt, the one with the side care of honey. Dip the tip of your spoon into honey, then scoop up a half spoonful of yogurt! Just buy one and try it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
I love the flavor and texture of tofu, but I can't tell you how I learned to love it. It's something I didn't even try until I'd been "grown up" a long time, so there was no prior familiarity. I just did--but it was probably served to me in the most pleasant possible way for me to accept it. Whereas if you had it in a way that doesn't work for you (like me and yoghurt--not happening, never, no way) there might not be any overcoming it.Jenise

The next time you are in Trader Joe's, look for Fage Greek Yogurt, the one with the side care of honey. Dip the tip of your spoon into honey, then scoop up a half spoonful of yogurt! Just buy one and try it!

I appreciate the suggestion, but it won't help. It's the texture that creeps me out, has since childhood. I won't eat soft ice cream, pudding or custards either. :cry:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Well, there goes that gallon jug of uni I was going to ship you. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:14 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Well, there goes that gallon jug of uni I was going to ship you. :wink:

Ship away!! It's only the dairy end of creamy (white, opaque) that I find so repulsive. :)