Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Frozen Shrimp

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Frozen Shrimp

by Maria Samms » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Has anyone seen any brands of frozen shrimp without salt?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Frozen Shrimp

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Has anyone seen any brands of frozen shrimp without salt?

Maria, I have never thought to read an ingredient list on a pkg of frozen shrimp! Imagine, frozen shrimp has salt in it? I wonder why. Is it a little like up to 12% solution in grocery store meat?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Maria, I wonder if shrimp, being ocean-borne seafood, have a natural salt component. Like Bob, I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought salt was added during the freezing process.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Guys...read the ingredients on frozen shrimp...it's always has some kind of salt or salt derivative. I have yet to come across a package of frozen shrimp without salt being listed in the ingredients. And I have to say, that I always thought frozen shrimp tasted somewhat "brined".
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Guys...read the ingredients on frozen shrimp...it's always has some kind of salt or salt derivative. I have yet to come across a package of frozen shrimp without salt being listed in the ingredients. And I have to say, that I always thought frozen shrimp tasted somewhat "brined".

Interesting, Maria. Have you tried rinsing them under cold water prior to cooking? Does that remove the brined flavor?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Are you talking already cooked or raw shrimp?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm

Frozen raw shrimp, Jenise.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Jenise is asking the right question, I think.

Raw, shell on, block frozen shrimp doesn't have salt added to it, to the best of my knowledge. Some shrimp are treated with tripolyphosphate, and since I'm not a chemist, I don't know if that is a salt or not. (should have paid more attention in science class)
I'm guessing it isn't, but I wouldn't bet a nickel on it.
But other shrimp aren't so treated, and those are the ones I buy.

Talk about cooked, OTOH, and all bets are off. There's a myriad of ways they could cook the shrimp which would bring salt to the party. I don't buy cooked shrimp because I like neither the taste nor the texture.

The further processed an item is, the better the odds are that it's going to contain things you'd rather avoid.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Here's what I found on the Ocean Garden website - OG is one of my trusted brands - at one time they only did wild Mexican shrimp, though now they've moved into farm raised, as well as shrimp sourced in Asia.
It is still possible to source Mexican wild under the OG label, as long as you specify that's what you want. Anyway, this is what it says:

Health & Nutrition

Ocean Garden® Mexican shrimp are “all natural” since we don’t use chemical
additives like brands from other origins. The only ingredients are Mexican shrimp.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"