Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A truly brilliant way to make lemon curd

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

A truly brilliant way to make lemon curd

by Celia » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:39 am

After spending hours stirring lemon curd over a double boiler, I chanced upon a new method yesterday for making lemon curd in the microwave. Difficult as this is to believe, it works really well! (I've made five batches today to convince myself - three of lemon curd, and two of passionfruit curd). The recipe is here.

Some amendments: my microwave only needed two minutes after the eggs were added (stirring every 30 seconds). Also, I sieved both the lemon juice and the eggs as I added them to the bowl. Here is a pic of the passionfruit curd we made (by adding 1/3 cup passionfruit pulp after the butter was melted and the sugar dissolved). Enjoy!

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: A truly brilliant way to make lemon curd

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:21 am

Oh, yum! I love lemon curd.

Thanks, Celia!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 am

Of course, an easy method for making lemon curd meant I had to make lemon tart this weekend! This was simply a pastry shell baked blind, with hot lemon curd from the microwave poured into it, and set in the fridge. Too easy!

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:29 am

Celia, I am consistently amazed by both the quantity, and quality of your work.
Your love for baking really shows through in the finished products.
Thanks for sharing them.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:29 am

celia wrote:Of course, an easy method for making lemon curd meant I had to make lemon tart this weekend! This was simply a pastry shell baked blind, with hot lemon curd from the microwave poured into it, and set in the fridge. Too easy!

What John said. Your output is better than professional--your work could be sold in any bakery, but it contains a lot more heart.

And I'm swooning over your tart. I am not into desserts, as I say probably too often. But I love lemon, and I mean LOVE it. I even love lemon meringue pie, though I have to peel off the meringue. A meringueless tart like yours? Heaven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

by Martin Barz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:16 pm

WOW, celia.......wunderbar! :D
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Thank you! I absolutely adore the baking process - you know how some people do sudokus to keep their minds going? We try and learn new cooking techniques. :wink:

Jenise, please try this! It can be as easy as buying a tart shell (if you didn't want to go to the trouble of making your own), making the lemon curd in just a few minutes in the microwave, scooping it in, and letting it set in the fridge. I can see lemon tarts and jam tarts becoming a staple entertaining dessert at our house!

Here's my take on the lemon curd recipe:

1. Zest and juice (strain the juice) two big lemons into a large pyrex bowl. Add 50g unsalted butter and 150g caster (superfine) sugar. Microwave on high for 2 minutes (my micro is 1100 watts). Take it out, stir it to make sure sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Allow to cool just slightly (while you whisk the eggs).

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 large free range eggs, and one egg yolk. Whisk well. Pour the eggs through a sieve into the butter mixture, whisking as you go. Once it's all combined, pop the pyrex bowl back into microwave.

3. 30 seconds on high, then stir. Another 30 seconds on high, stir again. Then 1 minute on high, take it out, and give it a really good whisking until it becomes smooth and lemon curd like. You might need a little bit more time, but in my microwave, that's it. You can then pour it into sterilised jars and stick it in the fridge, or pour it into a pre-baked tart shell and let it set in the fridge (which is how I made my tart). Oh, and you can freeze lemon curd too!

:D

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial