Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Question for Cynthia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Question for Cynthia

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:57 pm

How do you like Mustard's Grill? I saw the photo of onion rings, they looked awesome. I have friends who are going to be RVing in the area and want reccos on places to eat.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Question for Cynthia

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:09 pm

I was quite pleased, Karen.

It was almost an Onion Ring Pilgrimage. It's really the only reason we went! The onion rings come with homemade apple ketchup which was great. I don't normally eat the stuff (normal ketchup), and I really liked it.

Along with the two orders of onion rings (huge!) we each had insalata caprese, and shared a bottle of SA Chenin Blanc. They have about a million wines on the list, and the book with the selections is titled Way Too Many Wines. And that was lunch.

The food was delicious, especially those onion rings! I watched what came out for the tables around us and it all looked fantastic. The plates going back to the kitchen were all empty, scraped clean!

Our server was fun and professional at the same time. We really liked her. Her name was Crystal.

I'd recommend it to your friends, but they need to make reservations. We did and by the time we were done there was quite a long wait for a table. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that even though they had people waiting for our table, nobody made us feel rushed at all. I can't wait for a chance to return.

Here are some more photos.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:09 am

We ate there a few years ago too. I remember everything we put into our mouths tasted absolutely wonderful.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:23 am

Carrie L. wrote:We ate there a few years ago too. I remember everything we put into our mouths tasted absolutely wonderful.

Ditto. It was also notably the first place I ever had heirloom tomatoes, and the mottled yellow-red blend Mr. Stripey in particular. It was life-changing. Oh, and I should mention that Chris, who posts here occasionally, took me there. She used to live in Napa.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks for the comments. We have driven by Mustard's so many times. I am going to go there soon!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Good photos

I see you had the Simonsig Chenin 2007 - Good wine, great value, nice people.