Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TN: Penzey's newest spice creation - BBQ 3000

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

TN: Penzey's newest spice creation - BBQ 3000

by Dave R » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:27 pm

I know there are some Penzey’s fans here so I thought I would post this note. A few friends and I went to the Penzey’s factory last week and I was given a complimentary bottle of their latest spice blend named “BBQ 3000”. I used it as a rub on some grilled baby backs this weekend. It mostly tasted like paprika, allspice, thyme, black pepper and with a rough aftertaste of garlic salt. Oddly no heat at all and even one of my guests said her kids would be able to eat food seasoned with this because they do not like anything too spicy. :shock:

I like many of the Penzey’s spice blends (Fox Point being a personal favorite) but this one just struck me as flat and somewhat boring.

Here is the ingredient list:
Salt, paprika, black pepper, nutmeg, mustard, allspice, citric acid, garlic powder, ginger, sage, thyme, white pepper, cinnamon and natural smoke flavor.

With that list in mind this really should have been better. Oh well…I gave the bottle to the friend who thought her kids would like it.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Penzey's newest spice creation - BBQ 3000

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for the warning. How was the factory tour? Did you leave more impressed with Penzey's than before?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:10 pm

You're alive! The bamboo thing had me worried.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Yes, alive and well, and the bamboo was wonderful. Will definitely do that again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:27 am

For years all we had for spice finds were bazaars. We used to have to freeze the spices for a week to 'kill' any creatures that were lurking among the whole spice. What I have always liked about Penzeys is the products are CLEAN sans creatures. I use Penzeys probably every day. I like to make my own masalas using Penzeys and Sultans Delight pantry.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:44 am

Mike Bowlin wrote:For years all we had for spice finds were bazaars. We used to have to freeze the spices for a week to 'kill' any creatures that were lurking among the whole spice. What I have always liked about Penzeys is the products are CLEAN sans creatures. I use Penzeys probably every day. I like to make my own masalas using Penzeys and Sultans Delight pantry.

Did you know we have a spice store here?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:55 am

Jenise wrote:Thanks for the warning. How was the factory tour? Did you leave more impressed with Penzey's than before?

Hi Jenise,

We did not take a tour (I’m not even sure they still offer them) but I did take a tour a few years ago and was very impressed. It was in the middle of a weekday so it was me and about 25 retired people. The operation is actually smaller than I thought it would be and less mechanized. The blends they make are all made by hand. They also do everything themselves and do not outsource any of the work. For example, if you go into one of their stores everything from the shelves to the counters to the racks are made by a carpenter in their own woodshop. Same with the catalogue. They do all of the cooking and photography right there at the factory. They also have a test kitchen where they create all of their recipes and then try them out on the employees at lunch time. Wouldn’t that be a great job? Working in the Penzey’s test kitchen? Our group got to taste some apple pie they were working on and it was very good. Another thing that surprised me was how small the customer service/order processing area was. Just a few people. And again, not outsourced. If you call with a question you won’t be talking to someone in Bangalore. We spoke with a couple of them and they seemed extremely friendly. One person was even walking a caller through making a meal! Actually, everyone in the company seemed very happy and nice and I was impressed with their organization from top to bottom.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Dave R wrote:
Jenise wrote:Thanks for the warning. How was the factory tour? Did you leave more impressed with Penzey's than before?

Hi Jenise,

We did not take a tour (I’m not even sure they still offer them) but I did take a tour a few years ago and was very impressed. It was in the middle of a weekday so it was me and about 25 retired people. The operation is actually smaller than I thought it would be and less mechanized. The blends they make are all made by hand. They also do everything themselves and do not outsource any of the work. For example, if you go into one of their stores everything from the shelves to the counters to the racks are made by a carpenter in their own woodshop. Same with the catalogue. They do all of the cooking and photography right there at the factory. They also have a test kitchen where they create all of their recipes and then try them out on the employees at lunch time. Wouldn’t that be a great job? Working in the Penzey’s test kitchen? Our group got to taste some apple pie they were working on and it was very good. Another thing that surprised me was how small the customer service/order processing area was. Just a few people. And again, not outsourced. If you call with a question you won’t be talking to someone in Bangalore. We spoke with a couple of them and they seemed extremely friendly. One person was even walking a caller through making a meal! Actually, everyone in the company seemed very happy and nice and I was impressed with their organization from top to bottom.

Great to know! I would never have dared picture anything so idyllic.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Did you know we have a spice store here?

Of course not !! Where is it please ?
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:39 pm

It's on...oh darn. Kellogg? Wheeler? I can't remember the exact name of the street, it's either Kellogg or you take Kellogg to get to it and the name starts with a 'W'. It would be a left turn off of Meridien onto the east-west street immediately south of the Costco shopping center above Bakerview. I don't even know it's name, but it has a Spice name (Spice Hut?) and it's owned by Satpal Sidhu, who is a dean at Bellingham Tech and a seriously good person who became a friend recently as we both succeeded through a series of elections that resulted in us both becoming pledged delegates to the state convention for the same Presidential candidate. He's a Sikh and a vegetarian, and cares deeply about spices and tea and that's what he (and his wife) sell there.

I haven't been in the store since it first opened as I'm a dedicated Penzey's customer, but now that Satpal's a friend I need to revisit.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Jenise wrote:
Dave R wrote:

Hi Jenise,

Great to know! I would never have dared picture anything so idyllic.

Sounds like a great company like Zappos !! Spice Hut on Kellog in Bellingham marked for next northern visit.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Sounds like a great company like Zappos !! Spice Hut on Kellog in Bellingham marked for next northern visit.

Zappos is great isn't it? I've found shoes there many times I cannot find in Redding, I always look locally first. I am amazed that most times I get upgraded to overnight delivery. One time I ordered shoes at 4pm and twelve hours later, I had them!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:38 pm

I generally stay away from the mixes but I use a lot of Fox Point also- mostly for steamed veg and in eggs-scrambled/deviled - a real convenience. I also use a lot of the Turkish seasoning - great for lamb, chicken, pork kebabs. The Marajaha curry is way off the mark - so heavy on the saffron that it is medicinal and no doctoring cuts it. One other mix that I like is the Prime Rib Rub - very good for roasting beef and a bit in ground chuck makes a great burger. Way back when, Penzey's used to give a small free sample with a mail orders- that's mostly how I got to the mixes.
Mamma Mia !