Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red Robin - Any opinions?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Red Robin - Any opinions?

by Dave R » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:59 pm

While driving around an unfamiliar part of the city searching for a toy store last week I noticed a new (?) chainey looking place called Red Robin. Every parking spot in their lot was occupied and it appeared people were even waiting outside to gain entrance. I asked about it on a local food board and they raved about it, but I thought I would ask here because the people that post on this board are a little more, um, how can I put it politely, sophisticated in their tastes.

Outside of In-N-Out or A&W, I have never been too wild about burger chains. Is Red Robin worth a visit?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Red Robin - Any opinions?

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:30 pm

"Steve, don't eat that."

Where you live, especially, lines and crowds are a good indication.

edit: Think "Ruby Tuesday" or "Chilis."
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:58 am

Outside of In-N-Out or A&W, I have never been too wild about burger chains. Is Red Robin worth a visit?

In a word, NO.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:54 am

Formula, chain restaurant always equals a pass from me. I'd rather have a burger in a greasy spoon somewhere.
We had a Red Robin here in Santa Barbara for a while, but I believe they closed the location.

The most noteworthy thing I know about the place is that they were sued by a woman who was refused an alcoholic beverage by an overzealous server, who was under the mistaken impression that it was illegal to serve booze to a pregnant women.
I'm not sure how that all turned out.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 am

Dave R wrote:While driving around an unfamiliar part of the city searching for a toy store last week I noticed a new (?) chainey looking place called Red Robin. Every parking spot in their lot was occupied and it appeared people were even waiting outside to gain entrance. I asked about it on a local food board and they raved about it, but I thought I would ask here because the people that post on this board are a little more, um, how can I put it politely, sophisticated in their tastes.

What the others said, pretty much. It makes an above-average burger for a chain, and it's an interesting concept that (at least in Louisville) it is both "upscale casual" with adult beverages AND attracts huge family crowds with lots of kids.

But all that being said, I just don't see foodies eating at chains. Please support your local, independent eateries. In this era, they need your help; and the good ones deserve your help.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:11 am

The last time were there, the restaurant had an awful odor. We have never been back. We used to enjoy their food when they first opened and when I was working, I'd go there with work mates. The parking lot is always full, but we have never gotten over that awful smell and the food was less than desirable.