Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What's for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Monday night and I have to go to the grocery store before I can make anything at all. So the world is my oyster, as it were. If only I had an idea or two to pick from!

Which leads to this post subject.... what's for dinner at your house?
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: What's for dinner?

by Celia » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Make lemon curd! :wink:

Tuesday morning here, so I have no idea yet, but I'm thinking it will be chicken of some sort. Maybe a paella - a mate just brought me 8g of La Mancha saffron back from Spain...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Well, Cynthia, I didn't want to go to the store, and since I was out of a few key ingredients, I had a list of "no can make". I am going with goulash, i.e. American Chop Suey.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Well, Cynthia, I didn't want to go to the store, and since I was out of a few key ingredients

Ha! That's exactly how I ended up in this predicament. I haven't gone to the store in..... 3 weeks, I think. :oops: So even the freezer is about empty and all I could actually make is brown rice or plain pasta! Just.Sad.

Celia, I think lemon curd is a fine idea. I shall pick up ingredients. Although I will feel like I need to eat something more.... um.... grown-up for dinner too.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Something simple, I think. I've got tomatoes to use up, so I'm thinking either a soup or Mexican rice with some vegetables. I'll have to take inventory.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:11 pm

I was lazy and just didn't have the energy to make anything after my latest row with the bookshop owner, so dinner was lots of cheese and a bottle of wine. Gladly no need to wake up tomorrow so I can sleep the bottle away... I will need to buy new jeans though to fit the extra couple inches around my waist.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote: I'm thinking either a soup or Mexican rice with some vegetables.

Synchronicity! I made a version I call New Mexican rice last night... used the last of my canned San Marzano tomatoes, the last of the green chile from the freezer, my last onion, and the last half bag of frozen corn.

Otto, alas, I have no cheese left in the house either, or I'd do what you did. (Sorry your boss is a jerk!)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:22 pm

leftovers from last night's dinner which was, a bone-in pork loin roast, rubbed out with fennel, 2 types of mustard, etc
Avocado and Granny Smith Apple, Arugula, Romaine salad with champagne vinegar and lime juice vinaigrette, and grilled zucchini. Since I ate the rest of the salad for lunch, along with the zucchini, we'll have corn on the cob, baked spuds and sliced garden toms.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Avocado and Granny Smith Apple, Arugula, Romaine salad with champagne vinegar and lime juice vinaigrette

Karen, do you have a recipe you could share for that salad, or did you just throw it together? It sounds wonderful!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:03 pm

I got up this morning and cobbled together a little Spanish menu out of things I had on hand. Two courses, neither more important than the other, of braised greens (swiss chard and black kale, in this case, since I grow them) on grilled bread with shaved manchego, and grilled quail with sauteed piquillo peppers and fried garlic garnish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Greek Chicken Pilaf here with salad.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Fenugreek kofta kadhi and eggplant sambar, with potato tikkas on the side.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 pm

Leftovers from Saturday night's dinner at Po (Brooklyn): de-boned guinea hen (leg and thigh) with a side of fregula.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:32 pm

With Cindy up in Oregon for two weeks, I'm flying solo.
So elaborate is out, simple is in.( read: easy clean up)
Tonight was shredded beef and chopped cabbage tacos, refried beans, and corn on the cob.
Some watermelon and a delicious peach for dessert.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:11 am

Ok, I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer, so we made thin crust pizzas instead. This is my current favourite - potato, oregano, garlic oil and the odd anchovy (for me). No tomato, no cheese.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 am

Simple here too ... grabbed a few things out of the fridge to make a simple kind of Greek-Italian pasta sauce from ground lamb, fresh little eggplants, onions and green peppers and some Romas right out of the garden, with Pecorino Romano over cavatappi pasta.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:05 pm

So Cynthia, what did you end up having for dinner?

I went to the store today and will probably have chicken & mushroom with a brandy cream sauce and mashed potatoes.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:So Cynthia, what did you end up having for dinner?

Um. Well. Er. You see.... it's like this. I ate a pint of blueberries and a 1/2 pint of raspberries. They just smelled soooooooo good. :oops:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:44 pm

celia wrote:Make lemon curd! :wink:

Tuesday morning here, so I have no idea yet, but I'm thinking it will be chicken of some sort. Maybe a paella - a mate just brought me 8g of La Mancha saffron back from Spain...

\
"C" at first I thought you had said 8KG of saffron and I wondered what that cost.! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I've got some decent prosciutto and a couple of boned chicken breasts. SO I am thinking of picking some sage leaves and using my Santoku to cut the breasts in half "the hard way" horizontally -- pound 'em thin and stick sage and prosciutto to each cutlet. Saltimbocca! Plus smoked prosciutto and tomatoes, and yellow squash with mushrooms. "Clean the Fridge"

F
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:19 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Linda R. (NC) wrote:So Cynthia, what did you end up having for dinner?

Um. Well. Er. You see.... it's like this. I ate a pint of blueberries and a 1/2 pint of raspberries. They just smelled soooooooo good. :oops:
I had 4 ears of corn for last night's dinner.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 am

Last night was roast chicken and ears of corn (Silver, Milk & Honey) from the greenmarket.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:25 am

The Other Stupid and I ran across some excellent fresh peas, Blue Lake green beans, and Roma tomatoes. So we did a dry curry of green beans and ginger, then matar panir (with our own home-made cheese, hold the Borat jokes). A plain pullao. Some Afghani-style naan done on the grill.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Yoni M

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Jerusalem

by Yoni M » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:39 am

Soba noodle soup with chicken and shitake mushrooms, recipe by Gordon Ramsay (recipe link).
Next